• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My recording of var. 1 of Arban's Carnival of Venice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: My recording of var. 1 of Arban's Carnival of Venice Reply with quote

The title says it all. I would like to know how everyone thinks it sounds. I have two other recordings of it on my channel as well. They both got dislikes, so I'm going for none with this. The negative criticism made me want to practice harder and get to the highest level I can.
https://youtu.be/B_m6A2Gx8Vw
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit rushed... Just a bit more relaxed and flowing....

Nice start.
Schilke 20D2d 22 throat
trumpetninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Danny,

This sounds really good. You are really quite young and very accomplished. However, never stop striving for better, which it seems you already have in mind. It's hard to tell much about your sound on this so I won't talk about that. I do think it would behoove (sorry this is one of my favorite words)you to focus on making sure that every note has a great sound. That includes short notes (even they need to have a nice middle to them). Otherwise all that the audience hears is the articulation and in the end that is not what we want.

Also, ignore the dislikes. There is a quote that states that if everyone likes you, then you are doing something wrong.

Best,

E
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetninja wrote:
Hey Danny,

This sounds really good. You are really quite young and very accomplished. However, never stop striving for better, which it seems you already have in mind. It's hard to tell much about your sound on this so I won't talk about that. I do think it would behoove (sorry this is one of my favorite words)you to focus on making sure that every note has a great sound. That includes short notes (even they need to have a nice middle to them). Otherwise all that the audience hears is the articulation and in the end that is not what we want.

Also, ignore the dislikes. There is a quote that states that if everyone likes you, then you are doing something wrong.

Best,

E

Thanks for the advice. Earlier I was at a rehearsal and one of the people who help run the rehearsals was talking about how things like staccatos don't completely mean short and that there's much more to it. Like a roundness to the note, not just short, and making sure it sounds good. That's something I have to focus on. I have to work on not sounding rushed too. It's gotten much better over the years, but could use a lot of work still.

Thanks,
Danny
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounding good, Danny! You need to be able to feel the waltz throughout this. The rushing at the beginning is keeping this from happening. Also, your trills are too long. You're losing time with your trills. So the entire effect of the three four waltz is lost. Practicing with a metronome is so important! As for getting the short little notes to sound, you need to practice precisely and SLOWLY. Metronome metronome!

Thumbs down are bummers. Don't let them get you down. I hate it when I get them. When I do, I try to figure out what it might have been to cause it. Since I do a lot of covers of tunes, I think sometimes people don't want a particular tune 'messed with'. I can see that. If it's a piece of music which is in the standard trumpet repertoire, you can be sure that there will be people, many people, out there that are very familiar with the piece you're attempting. Sometimes they're less forgiving (particularly if they're trumpet players), sometimes they may be jealous, sometimes their standard of perfection may vary from yours. Sometimes people are just jerks, I'm sorry to say. But it's good to hear you used it for motivation.

Be sure to develop a high standard for yourself. (I happen to be my worst critic and have found things in my own recordings where I'd give myself a thumbs down!) Be critical of yourself but don't beat yourself up either. Also, it's extremely important to be objective when you listen to yourself. Be sure you're not hearing what you want to hear, but what you are truly hearing. Does that make sense? I mean be honest with yourself and apply your standards to what you're hearing. If it's 'not happening', then that's what you work on. Make it happen. Learn from your mistakes. Learn from other's mistakes.

www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
www.soundcloud.com/davestrumpet
www.facebook.com/DavesTrumpet
www.youtube.com/DavesTrumpet
jiarby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slow down! get clean. it's the journey of a life time.

The goal isn't to be "good for a 11th grader"... the goal is to be good. That's a period there at the end of that sentence.

You are not going to get better than you are now until you get serious about slowing down, think of sound (not range and speed) and mastering fundamentals.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO NOT need to slow down. Very good job. As anything, it can be improved further. You know already what needs to be done. Do it!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavesTrumpet wrote:
Sounding good, Danny! You need to be able to feel the waltz throughout this. The rushing at the beginning is keeping this from happening. Also, your trills are too long. You're losing time with your trills. So the entire effect of the three four waltz is lost. Practicing with a metronome is so important! As for getting the short little notes to sound, you need to practice precisely and SLOWLY. Metronome metronome!

Yeah. It doesn't matter how many or how few notes there are in a piece of music, there has to be a pulse - a pulse that the performer and the audience can feel. It's not a bunch fast notes or a long trill floating in space - they have fit into the pulse - neatly and easily.

That doesn't mean it's bad. This is hard stuff to do. If you listen to those professional recordings of this - Wynton or Edvard Ole Antonsen or Gerry Schwartz - despite all of the notes flying around, you always feel the pulse of the beat. That's the difference between most players and players like those guys or gals.

trumpetninja wrote:
It's hard to tell much about your sound on this so I won't talk about that. I do think it would behoove (sorry this is one of my favorite words)you to focus on making sure that every note has a great sound. That includes short notes (even they need to have a nice middle to them). Otherwise all that the audience hears is the articulation and in the end that is not what we want.

This is spot on about approaching staccato and short notes. They're still notes and they need to sound as beautiful as the long ones - they just don't last long.

My college band director would get the band to hold out long notes and make the most beautiful sound we could. Then, he said to take a small slice of the middle of that long note and play the short notes like that. It may be short but has to have the tone and beauty of the long ones.

Staccato. People like to think that this is short and detached - which it is. But there are different kinds of short and detached. Rapid gunfire could be short and detached - but that's not very musical. For Carnival, I'd think about a lighter more delicate staccato - like a gracefully ballerina dancing lightly across the floor.

Just some things to think about.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough piece and you're doing really well.

---

Here's the real question though...

What do you think needs to be better?

The two most important things I think are:

1. Learning to really be aware of, and take ownership of, every flaw little mistake and blemish and fumble and slip. etc.

2. NOT beating yourself up about it. Just being able to treat it like a secretary reading their memo for typing mistakes.

If there's a mistake, you fix it.

You need to be like the spell check on a computer.

Make a list, pin point every flaw. But don't beat yourself up about it.

The hardest thing about practice is to really hear everything and to not beating yourself up about it, or to set an unrealistic goal.

It's really pretty simple. Find the most amazing rendition of the work you can find. When you can do it better than that, then you can stop working on it if you want... but it can always be even better still! And realise that if it takes 10 years to get there, that's fine. If it takes a week, that's fine too.

---

Also, you aren't playing for likes or approval. Neither approval nor disapproval ultimately mean anything. You played how you played. You did what you did. Whether someone else thinks it was good or not doesn't really matter.
Musically speaking, your job isn't to impress people, it's to convey the music as best you can.

As the saying goes "Haters gunna hate". That's okay.

---

All good wishes!
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StupidBrassObsession wrote:
It's a tough piece and you're doing really well.

---

Here's the real question though...

What do you think needs to be better?

The two most important things I think are:

1. Learning to really be aware of, and take ownership of, every flaw little mistake and blemish and fumble and slip. etc.

2. NOT beating yourself up about it. Just being able to treat it like a secretary reading their memo for typing mistakes.

If there's a mistake, you fix it.

You need to be like the spell check on a computer.

Make a list, pin point every flaw. But don't beat yourself up about it.

The hardest thing about practice is to really hear everything and to not beating yourself up about it, or to set an unrealistic goal.

It's really pretty simple. Find the most amazing rendition of the work you can find. When you can do it better than that, then you can stop working on it if you want... but it can always be even better still! And realise that if it takes 10 years to get there, that's fine. If it takes a week, that's fine too.

---

Also, you aren't playing for likes or approval. Neither approval nor disapproval ultimately mean anything. You played how you played. You did what you did. Whether someone else thinks it was good or not doesn't really matter.
Musically speaking, your job isn't to impress people, it's to convey the music as best you can.

As the saying goes "Haters gunna hate". That's okay.

---

All good wishes!

Thanks for the advice everyone (again). I'll do my best to work on everything suggested. I'll post something lyrical in the future to show some kind of contrast. Maybe the Pines of Rome solo in the 2nd movement or something of that nature.

Thanks,
Danny
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep working at it! You're really not that far from nailing it. It just needs a tad more polish in a few areas.

Just pick a different line and work on doing it better for 10minutes every day. In a month, you'll be amazed at where it's at. Personally I find it's actually much much more effective to work on a small section, like a line or two, because if you're trying to get through the whole section, you might rush through things that you could do better.

I mean, this was one of the first things Sergei Nakariakov learned. I'm fairly sure he worked on it everyday for 3-6 hours for a year or more.

You're doing really well, just keep working, and as Arturo says, every day just be grateful! Having the time to play music and practice is such a gift! And it gets harder once you have to earn a living. So really enjoy it.

Keep up the great work, and take no prisoners in the practice room!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: