• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

silver vs lacquer finish - one brighter or darker?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: silver vs lacquer finish - one brighter or darker? Reply with quote

I know, I know. Probably asked and debated but I'd just like to know if all other things being constant, (same make, model) if one finish is darker or brighter.

A very good player told me that many prefer the sound of the lacquered but opt for the silver because the finish are longer lasting. Sax players I know, generally say that silver is darker (contradicting the visual). Any thoughts? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my ears silver sounds brighter against laquer .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I have had the chance to compare like model Wild Thing horns, the silver ones seem to have an ever so slightly more consolidated core from behind the bell. Kanstul's clear polyester/acrylic finish gives the tiniest sense of brittleness to the timber, a kind of white noise. No listener can tell the difference.

Compared to my raw horn, my silver flugelhorn is once again a little heavier sounding, the raw a little lighter, but the bell material and rim diameter are both changed, also, so it's a bit of a crap shoot there as to why. Raw vs. clear on the flugelhorn doesn't seem to sound much different, but my raw horn just plays better than the others. Since it's the only raw copper flugelhorn, no one can tell if the finish is what makes the difference, but I ain't changin' it!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..really tough to tell - because you are or would be comparing oe instrument vs. another thus the finish would not be the only variation. If you take a specific instrument, lets say a raw brass trumpet and have it silver plated, the difference in sound/playability would be very small and with the time inbetween the last time you play it and after it's refinished would make it impossible to accurately compare.
I had a Blackburn built for me, tested it and picked options while it was raw brass, then the final step was to silver plate it - did I notice a difference in sound/playability... nope.

The only comment that I've heard that might have some bearing in plating vs. lacquer is that, "lacquer is essentially a paint that lays on the brass where silver is an extremely thin layer of silver that bonds at a molecular level" - thus vibrating more sympathetically with the brass.

I've had a couple trumpets stripped of lacquer.. did I notice a difference?? I think I did. It seemed to warm up the sound and allow the instrument to vibrate more - but that's what I expected to happen so, did it really help or was it just because I thought it helped.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understand the question. No two horns play or sound the same, even in the same plating. If you play a lemon Bach Strad in silver and it doesn't sound like a lacquer gem Bach Strad is it really the plating or lack thereof or the build quality?

Impossible to quantify!

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bare brass, silver plating and gold plating all sound brighter than lacquer. Now with the modern, thinner painted lacquers (lacquer is paint), the difference might not be as much as it was when Schilke did his testing, but it is still there to some extent.

http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Brass%20Clinic.html#Finishes

Renold O. Schilke wrote:
One large point of controversy has always existed between those who prefer a lacquered horn and those who prefer plated horns, either silver or gold, or a third group who prefer their instruments in plain brass without any protective coating whatsoever. Let me give you my findings on the three different finishes of instruments. First, I tried to find myself three instruments that played absolutely identically. One, I silverplated, one I had a very good lacquer job put on and a third I left in brass. Now recall that all three instruments played identically the same in brass, or as close as it is possible to get. I had various players from the Symphony working with me as well as other professional trumpet players in Chicago and they agreed unanimously on the results. The findings were that plating does not affect the playing qualities of brass instruments. That is, the plated instrument and the plain brass instrument played identically. The lacquered instrument, however, seemed to be changed considerably. This instrument, which originally had played the same as the other two, now had a very much impaired tonal quality and the over-all pitch was changed.

To explain these findings as to why the silver and brass instruments played alike and the lacquered instrument did not, let me give you some figures. The silver plating on a brass instrument is only one-half of a thousandth inch thick. In other words .0005 inch. The lacquer that goes on, if it is a good lacquer job, is approximately seven thousandths of an inch thick, or .007 inch. Now to get an idea in your minds as to what these thickness figures represent, an ordinary piece of writing paper is approximately four thousandths of an inch thick so the silver that goes on an instrument is only 1/8 as thick as a piece of writing paper, while the lacquer is almost double the thickness of a piece of writing paper. The silver in itself is very compatible to the brass. The lacquer, if it is a good lacquer and baked on, will be almost as hard as glass and not at all compatible to brass. The lacquer on the bell of an instrument is seven thousandths of an inch thick on the outside and another seven thousandths on the inside which gives you a total thickness of fourteen thousandths or .014 inch. This is already the thickness of the metal of my instruments so the lacquer process would double the bell thickness. As you can see, it is bound to affect the playing quality of the instrument.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Bare brass, silver plating and gold plating all sound brighter than lacquer. Now with the modern, thinner painted lacquers (lacquer is paint), the difference might not be as much as it was when Schilke did his testing, but it is still there to some extent.

+1

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

+1

-Dave

Dave, I'm specifically comparing Kanstul 1000s to one another. I notice in your signature block that you play Kanstuls. Any Kanstul-specific observations vis a vis my question?

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't seen this yet, here's a youtube video that explains the effect of finish on sound characteristics:

https://youtu.be/Da71wAwb_8Y?t=426
Piccolo Stomvi
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
If you haven't seen this yet, here's a youtube video that explains the effect of finish on sound characteristics:

https://youtu.be/Da71wAwb_8Y?t=426

While the video's explanation of the effect of lacquer agrees with Renold Schilke's findings, the explanation given on the video regarding the effect of Silver or Gold plating does not agree with what Schilke found to be, nor does that conclusion take into account the fact that the difference in the thickness of silver or gold plating relative to the thickness of the actual brass is infinitesimal and therefore of no significance (which is why it really has no measurable effect, as Schilke concluded).

Personally, I've owned three different CG Benge trumpets. One was lacquered, and the other two were silver plated. The lacquered horn played noticeably darker than the two silverplated ones, both of which play equally bright. Eventually I had the lacquer removed from the one, and had it left in bare brass. It now plays with the same tone as the silverplated ones. Note that this was not just from my point of view. I had a number of my students over the years listen for me as I A/B tested the bare brass CG Benge against my (remaining) silver CG Benge trumpet with their eyes closed. I did this with my eyes shut and the student's eyes shut, and I had the student place the horns on the particular horns stands in front of me so I wouldn't know which was which, so this was a truly double-blind test.
George Coble
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver vs. Lacquer finish- One brighter or darker?

This query shows up in the TH forum on a semi-regular basis. Other than the trumpet’s finish there are several additional conditions that need to be addressed: the trumpet’s relative weight, the specific bell’s weight as well as it’s proprietary metal composition, and what are the acoustical properties you will have to deal with during performing.

Here’s what usually happens: people play test trumpets in a small, studio-type acoustical situation and under these circumstances a standard weight trumpet with lacquer generally sounds the best (darker) to the average ear (“darker” meaning it sounds pleasant to the ear but not necessarily a preponderance of lower frequencies). Under the same circumstances a standard weight trumpet with a plated finish (either silver or gold) or raw brass finish sounds much brighter (meaning there is likely a “sizzle” to the sound but not necessarily a preponderance of higher frequencies).

Concert hall acoustics are something else. First, sitting behind a trumpet while play-testing is probably not the best way to determine how a trumpet sounds “out there”. I was most fortunate because for the vast majority of years I played with the Syracuse Symphony all the symphony programs were taped for the local PBS radio station for re-broadcast and if I had any questions about how one or another horn sounded at a particular performance all I had to do was show up on Sundays following the concert weekend while the editing was going on and I could hear each and every night’s performance and accurately judge how my equipment was blending with the orchestra and what happened to the sound when playing extremes in dynamics.

The most favorable sound (on the Onondaga County Civic Center stage) I found was on a large bore V Bach standard weight C trumpet that had a 229 bell, a #6 lead pipe, with a plated finish (or raw brass). This combination had the best balance of highs and lows in the sound, allowed the easiest efforts for playing loud and soft, and was the friendliest for balancing timbres with the rest of the orchestra. Using a 25H pipe allowed me to more flexibility with forte dynamics but this pipe was more difficult to color than the #6. The #239 bell model V Bach C trumpets sounded “unbalanced” in playback and this was magnified in the reverberant Civic Center acoustics which made the trumpet sound as if it were marching around biblical Jericho. Lacquer C trumpets tended to sound “fluffy” during the playback and the heavyweight model trumpets sounded dull. However, I remember one weekend I used a most interesting trumpet. It was a V Bach standard weight C trumpet with a gold brass #238 Vindabona bell with a #43 pipe in lacquer. From behind the horn it sounded glorious and I expected this to sound dark and broad like a rotary trumpet. At the Sunday radio station play back I was astonished as to what this trumpet was capable of. With little to no effort this horn totally buried the band especially in tutti brass passages with a sound that would peel paint off concrete walls. As I earlier mentioned, it was used on only one weekend.

The lesson to be learned from this is to play-test your new trumpets with suitable recording devices or ask someone whose ears you trust to adjudicate and do this in a space as close to the acoustics you will be performing in.

Good luck-

George Coble
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This thread has turned out to be much more fascinating than I would have expected. Thanks, all.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is, no two 'identical' horns play exactly the same. There is always some, however subtle, difference.

Having said that, you could compare two otherwise identical horns (one silver and one lacquer), but there's no telling what it is about the horn you like between them that makes it 'better'.

It could be the finish, but then it might not.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: b Reply with quote

The sound in front of the horn, is one thing. The player responds more to the feel, meaning the response, than the sound. He hears the sound a certain way because the horn responds differently. The exception is Gold Plate.
Gold plate is usually the darkest of all sounds and is the heaviest of all, with the slowest response. The reason is because gold does not stick to brass, so a horn must be silver plated before it is gold plated.
Gold on a Benge or a Schilke L can add some density and security to the over-all feel and sound impression.
Gold on an old Martin Committee or a Conn Constellation is a death nail. These horns are already heavy and dense.
My least favorite is silver. Many love it. For me, it's a thin edge and drives me nuts. Raw Brass is my fav...but it can be "fuffy" on certain horns.
Lacquer is my second fav..
My two fav horns were both light gold plated horns; a Schilke B6L, and an old Benge mlp, gold plated from the factory. It was a great instrument.
The brightest recorded horn ever for me was a Benge 5x, lacquer. Killer.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think differences are more in the mind than the horn given the relative amount of plating but this is another of those debates that never convinces anybody.

One correction: gold can be plated onto brass but usually is not because brass is soft, as is gold, and silver provides a harder (more protective) finish under the gold so the finish (and horn) last longer.

In the past lacquer was less durable than today's lacquer/epoxy blends and was applied much thicker. It is much thinner today but still usually thicker than a metal plated finish.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

When we consider players placing tape on various places of the horn and perceiving a difference in responce and tone, than the idea that additional metal added to critical places of an instrument will alter the response and possibly the sound. is not too far fetched..
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
The fact is, no two 'identical' horns play exactly the same. There is always some, however subtle, difference.

Having said that, you could compare two otherwise identical horns (one silver and one lacquer), but there's no telling what it is about the horn you like between them that makes it 'better'.

It could be the finish, but then it might not.

That's pretty much what I stated!

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test referenced by Schilke, while interesting and perhaps absolutely correct just doesn't carry much value, at least not in a scientific sense because the number tested is too small and variables too high. It would be VERY interesting to have a 100 professional players (blinded) test several dozens identical horns (to the degree any two horns can be identical.) Then we might actually be able to prove something. Meanwhile we're hovering just above the level of opinion.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfeifela wrote:
The test referenced by Schilke, while interesting and perhaps absolutely correct just doesn't carry much value, at least not in a scientific sense because the number tested is too small and variables too high. It would be VERY interesting to have a 100 professional players (blinded) test several dozens identical horns (to the degree any two horns can be identical.) Then we might actually be able to prove something. Meanwhile we're hovering just above the level of opinion.

Mr. Schilke was also observing horns coated with nitrocellulose lacquer, which is no longer being used to any degree. Current epoxy or polyester-acrylic coatings are much thinner, much harder and bond much better. All of these properties will yield a different result than old-tech finishes.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: It Reply with quote

We are talking about the perception of a player and how it is changed by silver, lacquer, gold or raw brass. How it is changed will effect how the musician plays. Whether the sound difference is discernible to a listener or a machine is of absolutely no consequence and has no bearing on the person behind the horn.
Performance is effected by variables often indiscernible to most. Especially on brass instruments.
Playing on gold on a Bach trumpet while recording with 2 horns in a small room was really something I enjoyed.
Playing on gold on a Bach trumpet recording with a 6 horn section in a huge studio, was a nightmare.
Silver, for me always had a great edge but lacked the lower partials in the sound.
Lacquer and raw bass seemed to be more pliable. For me it also was easier change the sound as well as adapt to temperature changes and other variables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: