• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"negative air"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjtpt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH-

I saw a phrase you used somewhere (I can't remember where) where you used the term "negative air". I've never heard it before but I knew exactly what you meant. When I was doing routine today I kept it in mind and it helped me a bit. Let me explain,

I've been getting fatigued at the end of the routine. I end with Schloss. #20 before I go into Arbans by the end of the 16ths I'm starting to go downhill. Yes, I'm resting as much as I play. I try to mentally (and/or physically) sing and finger along what I'm about to do. Still, I get tired at the end of the 16ths and when I get into Arbans (pp. 13-15, etc.). But today I paid a little more attention to the notion of "negative air" and I think it helped.

Related question: If we're suppossed to "rest as much as we play" how are we suppossed to get through a characteristic study or Charlier etude without our chops "crashing". (I know, I know. Practice. Sing the sound.)

Thanks,
Paul

[ This Message was edited by: pjtpt on 2004-01-21 19:58 ]
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjtpt,

Check out my post in the folder titled "Really Tense..." at: http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=13364&forum=2. Read the paragraph in the section called The Exhale. That should give you the definition that you are looking for related to "negative air".

I hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: