• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Testing of Horns before final purchase - Buying Online

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a-okay
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always enjoyed the Herald and the TPIN as a forum of sharing music, ideas, information & as a place to private party buy, sell and trade unwanted or unused equipment.(and I have used Ebay extensively as well)

When selling a horn online (ie: on the Herald or TPIN) it has been a regular practice to have a buyer send full payment and to allow the buy to try the instrument for +/- 48 hours. He/she pays shipping and insurance. And if the horn is seller is not contacted then the horn is considered sold "as is" and the deal is done. No crying later - no threads of recourse and no battering online.

EXAMPLE:

Transaction Security:

Upon agreement I will have the exact shipping cost calculated and ask you to send me a cashier's check in the full purchase price (horn + shipping). You can play and evaluate the instrument for up to 48 hours (2 days) days after arrival. If you do not wish to keep the instrument, you may return it to me insured at your expense.

Upon return receipt of the instrument, I will refund all but the shipping costs.

Once you notify me of the acceptance of the instrument or the 48 hours (2 days) passes without notice that it is being returned, I distribute the funds. This has worked well for me in the past. It seems fair and secure.

---------------------------------------
But with last weeks threads about "ebay fraud" and the non-disclosure practices of sellers / buyers ID's kept private to keep buyers from contacting eachother or to hide possible shill bidding practices. It just seems a bit right that the recent thread and ebay horns for sale were both removed.
---------------------------------------

With that said, I have bought, sold and traded many instruments. And with some humor remember "the best horn you will have ever owned, is the one you sold two weeks ago"

What do you think?
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in such a policy except that I would offer up to a week for an adequate horn-tryout period. I generally do this when selling horns through Trumpet Herald. When selling through Ebay, I usually do not offer this option. This is since it is not stated in the auctions I run. However, if a potential buyer agrees to the terms I set, then I allow a try-out period. If he/she would decide to return the horn, I do not refund shipping and give back 95% of the purchase price. I've only had one horn sent back to me and had to implement this ... but it sold within a week of getting it back.

A lot of what you said is basically an elaborate sales pitch. I try and avoid the word "best"... and use an expression like "one of the best". I would never sell "the best horn I have ever owned". Would anyone else do that? I've always believed the best business practice is honesty as with me, it is the only way to truly earn trust from someone else.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: