• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

20 min G?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trombonastic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is this 20 minute G thing I keep hearing about?
Krafty934
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trombanastic,
The 20 min. G is part of the Cat Anderson Method. What you do is you play the G in the staff as quiet as possible ("whisper tone") for 20 min. This is supposed to help your control and tone quality (at least, that's what it did to me!). Hope this helps.

Kaushik
Trombonastic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it that you expand the excersise after a while (ie play a C for 20 minutes)?
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read about it here:

http://www.r-o-d-d-y-t-r-u-m-p-e-t.cc/catindex.html

Marty

[ This Message was edited by: trumplyr on 2004-01-11 15:03 ]
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's at the top of this page:

http://www.r-o-d-d-y-t-r-u-m-p-e-t.cc/cat6and7.html

I found the twenty minute, soft G to be very helpful. It just may be the most efficient practice routine for ordinary chop development. No other exercise (with the possible exception of the pencil exercise) seems to develop the embouchure quicker in such a short period of time.

Tried the twenty minute G on my newer embouchure a couple weeks ago. The next day I noticed my sound had really loosened up and gained more stability.

Just doing the twenty minute G probably won't give you a Cat Anderson triple C. This takes specific embouchure type(s). The soft G will help you develop what you do have though.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leesbrass,

Your correct. Your link opens right to the 20 min. G routine. My link opens to the index of the entire method, for those who wanted to read/review the entire method.

Marty
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the clarkes #1 for 30 minutes as softly as I could and the next day my chops felt great. You can even do it while you're watching tv.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some of that too, and I've found it very helpful to also go up the scale. Like a half step a minute, as quiet as possible. The cool thing about this is that you can do it while doing about anything. From reading Calvin & Hobbs and doing homework, to watching a movie or just laying down being lazy.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to add you don't necessarily need a trumpet, the same effect is attained with just the mouthpiece.

Bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bootleg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although I don't suggest playing while watching tv as the sofa isn't necessarily the best seat in promote good trumpet posture. mine's kinda soft

however, you can do the pencil exercise. heck, i even do it when i m playing another instrument (piano), 2 for 1 practising is da bomb. lol.

as for the 20 minute G, it's actually quite relaxing. your lips kinda buzz at the end of it and it feels soo warm and the mouthpiece is soo hot. lol...gotta love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HMHustead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, those are some Crazy High Exercises! No wonder why Cat is the man!
telex95

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to trumpet. Can anyone tell me what is the pencil exercise?
Thanks!
David Oulton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see the "Search" menu option above (between "Edit Your Preferences" and "Private Message". Use search keyword "Pencil"...

or click here:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=16148&forum=6
jamie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured i would tryout the 20 min g thing, other people got good results so why not try it? so yesterday i tryed it, while i was doing it i didn't really think it was going to do much shortly after i went to bed, but then today my playing was better than ever!!! dynamcis were better, creating the note was easier and my soung up higher sounded easier!!!
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its all in your head. The miracle exercise!! Don't think so. I Belive that long tones need to be done daily but not that a 20 min g will make you sound great in one day. I belive more in one min per half step. Thats the best thing thats workded for me. It's a very useful study, and though it's long and tediouse, the results are fantastic.

Custom Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
Olds Super (LA)

[ This Message was edited by: MaynardProdigy on 2004-01-22 17:39 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the 20-minute, whisper-quiet, middle-line G really does special things. It's particularly good at removing stress AND focusing the lips and air in very refined ways needed to keep a note going at these very low volumes. If you keep the same stress-free feel and focus on detail going as you go up the scale, these translate into increased range, tone and endurance. One caution, whisper-quiet is more important than pure tone in the beginning, so resist the temptation to add volume to clear the tone, instead increase your focus on you embouchure and correct the tone my minute changes as you play the G.

I don't think it'll "fix" an open aperture or other common problems, but for the basically sound embouchure it's pretty close to miraculous. IMHO, people with embouchure problems (open aperture, high pressure, etc., etc.) need to look toward another method, like Balanced Embouchure. The G is not at odds with methods like BE, but it will not cause your embouchure to correct for major inefficiencies, instead it enhances a basically sound embouchure, IMHO.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: