• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opening up the low notes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-11 11:07
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am getting a good sound and pop below low C but my F# still needs work. I am aware of and have been reminded that a good lower register is the foundation for SC/TCE. That being said does anybody have any exercises to open up the lower register? TS doesn't seem to have much for the lower register

J. Freedman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oj
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-12 03:57
Here are some simple exercises that helped me.

1. Play halfnotes chromatic and legato from low C down to low F#
Then repeat this pattern, but now from double pedal C down to double pedal F#

2. Play 2 quarternotes (with attack & "pop") in the same chromatic pattern.
First from low C - low F#, then from double pedal C....
(feel tongue attacking against upper teeth)

3. As # 2 but now with triplets.

As some of you will see this is a variation on exercises from B.E. and T.S.

I do these as an additon to the first two pages of exercises in T.S.

There is a also "Super tongue building excise" here:

http://www.callet.com/1.0/rjjvqh000000vuyr.html

As you will see it only say "hello" to a low G at one place, but
you can easily transpose everyting down
- starting 1. from low G

.. or do like me, invert it, going down instead of up

Ole

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-12 19:07
Jerry, Mr. C. points out that the low F# is the hardest note on the horn so you don't need to obscess over it. His idea of mid and low register is high C and down! A good low C is plenty low enough for good chop building. It's that note, then the 2nd line G, then the 3rd space C, then the top space E, then the top of staff G, then the A-Bb-B-high C. Use these notes in this order to build - first slurred, then tongued. Slurring gets you there, TCE tonguing builds the real strength. Best regards, Kyle

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-13 18:51
Quote:
Okay, should I stop worrying about the low F# and it will take care of itself? Should I still work on it but not obsess? How long did it take you to "straighten out" and open up your range?

J. Freedman

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-13 19:25
I would not encourage anyone to worry about the low F#. In performance, there are a million ways to cheat and get a good low F#. As you get more control of SC that will come too. Get the low C correct and the rest will all come.

Let me know more about what you mean by "straighten up" and "open up" range and I'll try to address that. But, here is my pat answer on range development. You must be seeing regular increase in range, power, and endurance while simultaneously seeing a steady decrease in any stress or strain to the lips. How fast students will move along differs tremendously from student to student. Those with deeply engrained traditional (read "bad") habits will generally take longer, often much longer than newer, younger students. But, it's the steady progress that counts. With a very broad brush, once a student has a good G on top of the staff going well it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks of strengthening to get the G to high C range to come under control with center, focus and solid intonation. Another month and power will generally about double. From there the move from high C to dbl G usually takes a few months to get reasonably reliable. More importantly, if you go through any 2 week period and you aren't seeing noticeable improvement in range, strength, and power then something is not going right. That's where a good SC teacher or a phone lesson with Mr. C. comes into play. Best regards, Kyle

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-05-13 19:53

From what I know of your story, you had problems until you discovered SC. By "straightn up" I mean how long did it take your to "fix" your problems and get set on the right path? Once that happened how long did it take for you to get your range...

As for me, I was introduced to TCE at the beginning of April. I have a good focussed(sp?) G on top of the staff with start of a hold on the Bflat just above. The notes sound like a laser would if it worked on music. Its so focussed I could cut glass with it. That's exciting.

J. Freedman

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-05-14 00:02
Jerry, Because I was a long time and very trusting personal student of Don Reinhardt, as well as a 3 year student of Claude Gordon's system from my instructor at Berklee, it can't be said that I had a rapid conversion to SC. At first, I just very sceptically dabbled. Eventually, the reality of SC became too overpowering and I did a full conversion, as you know. But, I still had decades of incorrect, though well intentioned, instruction to reverse. So, it was still a chore of several years of very gruesome work. As I suspect Jerry C. will tell you, I was one of the hard ones. My previous "training" as well as my large front "snaggletooth" made life miserable. Nonetheless, everytime I got in trouble I called or visited Jerry C. And little by little the whole face, sound, and ears changed - and all for the massively better. Earlier on this post I've given what I consider a fair and reasonable timeline to develop SC from the top of staff G. The hard part is letting go of your past in order to correctly play that G. The rest is easy! :>) Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: