• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do it yourself Acid Cleaning

View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to get a trumpet acid cleaned or the equivalent by yourself? Is there a kit out there? Are there any of you that ocassionally do a much deeper cleaning than we can get with Dawn dishwashing soap and warm water?

Blaine
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEP
http://www.hornflush.com/

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they use muriatic acid to do this, which is readily available from the hardware store, we used to use it to clean concrete. It would have to be a diluted solution but I don't know the part per part mixture used. I plan to try it if I can find out the solution. You have to be careful with this stuff both for your health and your horn. I've read they leave it in a minute or less, they being repair shops. I don't like the idea of this, it can etch the brass, but maybe once on an old horn. I don't think it should be done once a year like some recommend. Also, I've seen some advocate using CLR on their horns, their website says it can damage brass too. Check out a great site for this kind of stuff, http://www.musichem.com, they hawk valve oil but they've really done their homework on oils and horn maintenance.

Bob
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old time repair guy I used to go to used to dilute the muriatic acid 50/50 with water.

He would leave is in the leadpipe for around 15 minutes, then flush it out real good with baking soda and water to neutralize any leftover acid.

If you do this just once to your horn, then make sure you keep the leadpipe clean, you'll never have to do it again.

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: