• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Yoga

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-24 19:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can anyone tell me what is in Trumpet Yoga?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

trumpetteacher1
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-24 22:20
Trumpet Yoga was based on the idea that playing double pedals in a particular way would alter lip position, and would eventually help the player in the upper register.

The book was poorly written, but strangely wonderful, as Jerry talked about all sorts of quirky little things.

Still, even the exercises were hard to figure out. It took a lesson with Glenn Hummel (a long time Callet student) for me to understand how they were supposed to be done.

Kyle is essentially correct. My Roll-Out exercises, while not exact, are very close to Jerry's 'Yoga exercises.

The thing is, you need to understand why Jerry moved on. Using rolled out double pedals ALONE to develop upper register works for only a few players. The first student I used the principles on went from a weak high C, to D above double C in 1.5 years (and his high G was a monster). But few others even came close - JUST USING THE YOGA EXERCISES. Something was missing.

That's why I decided to alter my approach. So did Jerry. I think that if you are going to use Jerry's routines, the newer ones will probably generate more success.

One comment. On another thread, Kyle said that my book is about rolling in the lips as you go higher. That is not exactly my intent. Rather, the book contains exercises which exaggerate the range of motion of the lips, both inward and outward. As a result of doing the exercises, the student unconsciously "adds more intelligence" potential to the embouchure, allowing it to make more appropriate choices when playing in a given register. Some players DO noticebly roll in when ascending. But not all.

I think that this is an important distinction.

Sometimes there is not much of a difference between an inward grip and a roll in.

Anyway, I am happy to give Jerry credit for waking me up. Never underestimate anything he says about embouchure.

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-06-25 18:49
Jeff, Always good to hear from you. If you get a chance please clarify for me what might be different between an inward grip and a roll in. Thanks as always, Kyle

Jerry Freedman
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-25 20:09
Was tonguing through the teeth, bunched chin and relaxed corners in TY? Any subset ( math background talking). How much time between TY and SC?

Jerry Freedman

trumpetteacher1
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-25 21:41
Kyle - I should never post close to bedtime! Too much fog.

The statement, "I think that this is an important distinction," refers to the paragraph above it - in other words, I am referring to the distinction between rolling in the lips to make an embouchure, and having the lips roll inward as an unconscious result of doing exercises which encourage this type of range-of-motion.

Clear as mud now, right?

The next statement, "Sometimes there is not much of a difference between an inward grip and a roll in," means that sometimes a partial lip roll in appears to be merely an inwards grip of lips. Since Jerry encourages a gripping action of the lips against the teeth and tongue, I can see instances where a roll in and an inward grip might appear to be the same thing.

But I'm not suggesting that SC, or TCE, is BE. Obviously, Jerry's current method depends heavily on usage of the forward tongue. That alone puts him in a more specific catagory.

Jerry Freedman (have to keep our Jerry's straight here) - Not sure if this will help, but here are some answers, for what they are worth.

Tonguing through the teeth - yes
Bunching the chin - no
Relaxed corners - never liked this term, but certainly not overly tight or stretched back, so, yes.

How long between TY and SC? I don't know. Mine is copyrighted 1986, but I think that earlier versions were out there.

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net

oj
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-26 03:05
1972 - Trumpet Yoga
1987 - Superchops (book & video)
2002 - Trumpet Secrets

Ole

tptguy
Heavyweight Member

Posted: 2003-06-26 09:57
Hey Jeff, I think I'm getting clearer now. Are you using the term "roll-in" to refer exclusively or primarily to a procedure that rolls the lips in for the creation of the embouchure? And, "lip clamp" grips or turns the lips in during the execution of the embouchure? If you are, I hadn't heard that distinction before but I see where it could be very useful. Best always, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: