• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Buzzing & removing the horn...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author
nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-22 20:55
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When blowing the horn, and then removing the horn while still blowing, should the lips be buzzing loudly or faintly?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave Converse
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-22 21:34
Don't know...........that's not part of SC or TCE. We do, I think, play pretty much as we spit-buzz. Dave

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-23 04:48
I just would like to know what it is like when you play and then remove the horn while continuing to blow, not asking if its a SC/TCE way to learn.
Anyway, I tried buzzing pedals and then without moving the lips, used the tongue to compress more air. I got quite a clear low C, G and middle C, but the tonguing is weak. What do you think of it?

fzr Phil
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-24 12:00
Quote:

On 2003-06-22 20:55, nicolashuang wrote:
When blowing the horn, and then removing the horn while still blowing, should the lips be buzzing loudly or faintly?

i think 'faintly' best answers your question but the term 'lip buzzing' and SC/TCE are not best associated. you should not have a focused buzz.

I may quite often begin a tone by bringing the mouthpiece/instrument to the lips which are 'buzzing' it could also be called an air attack. as soon as we provide air the note should start that is a given, whether or not you are applying articulation to the start of the note.
i also may quite often keep myself in check by pulling the instrument away from my lips and obseving the lips 'buzzing', put it back and the note is there.

Why i don't like the term 'buzzing'.

i generally do not like buzzing because to buzz effectively you need muscles in the right places. often we come to sc because we are in despair, nothing else is working. or can't appreciate how or why the embouchure does not respond to the same or work as it might to a different person. likely because we don't have those muscles in the right places! we may try to 'lip buzz' and inadvertantly cause more harm than good (same with mouthpiece buzzing). also anyone who has seen the SC video will apreciate some excellent comment on this very issue!

when coming from an open aperture the muscles that should/would be keeping the lips together are just not working at all. Also we may have muscles working that should't be used i.e the smiling muscles that pull the mouth corners outwards. This is also why it can be so difficult and can take such a length of time to adapt to the sc/tce way

e.g i am developing a line of muscle perpendicular centrally to the line of my lips that goes down to just above my chin. if i flex it (by pushing up with my chin) it is perhaps 5-6mm wide about 15mm long (the distance from chin while flexed) now i can distinctively rememeber when this muscle first appeared and it was almost hair thin. also there is significant muscle develepment eminating from below the mouth corner and supporting the underside of the lower lip. it is these 'corners' that i can often really feel working. i think once you get that feel of support under your lower lip and freedom of articulation with the forward tongue you get a real taste that you ARE developing in the right direction.

'spit buzzing' with your tongue right up against/behind your lips does promote more of the right muscles but i personally find i can get a huge air pocket under my lower lip (corners). probably because more resistance is beeing created than would be found when playing into the instrument.

Keep plugging away Nicolous!

Besson 600 trumpet - GR NB63***
Besson 928 sovereign Cornet - GR NB63*** #7 (also #5 and #8 avail)
besson new standard soprano cornet GR nb63*** cornet #5

nicolashuang
Veteran Member

Posted: 2003-06-24 19:06
hey thanks for clearing my doubts!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: