• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Please help me decide on a fair price

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Yamaha 6310Z. I am still on college and money is a little tight so I plan on selling one of my other horns. Since I rarely play anything other then jazz now I am probably going to sell my Bach 37. It has the sterling plus bell and is in very good condition. There is some lacquer wear on the bell since lacquer doesn't stick well to the sterling.
I know that pictures would help, but I don't have a digital camera and I'm just looking for a ball park figure anyways. I plan on trying to sell this locally first.
The trumpet is one of the best Bachs that I have ever played one, and is by far the best Bach that was made in the last 20 years that I have played on.
It has the original case.
It's been so long since I have seen one of these for sale (the music store in Norman stopped carrying the sterling bells) so I don't have any idea what a used one is going for.
Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner,

My suggestion is that you try to find another way (legal, of course) to get some quick cash and hang on to your sterling silver bell Bach. You sound as though you really like the horn and I think you will regret selling it sometime down the road. Probably every trumpet player here on the Trumpet Herald has an experience to share about selling a great horn, only to wish later on that they hadn't done so. Once sold you will probably never again have the spare cash necessary to buy another Bach with a sterling bell because your life will change and there will be other demands on your disposable income (like marriage, children, and all those good things.) Keeping that Bach is a good long-term investment. Good luck!
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're scaring me, plankowner. I'm getting ready to sell my three best vintage Olds horns to help pay for the 2 new horns on the way. You can see the first one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701577454&category=16214

My 2 Olds Studio's are even better, but the Mrs. will frown at the charge bill for the new Kanstul 1530 cornet and King Legend trumpet if I don't sell them.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it. One trumpet is enough for most of us. The street price on brass belled Bachs is in the $1450 to $1700 range. With lacquer wear, I'd guess you're looking at around $1100 to $1200. Use the search function on Ebay and look at the completed sales for a better guide.

BTW, used Z's aren't bringing but $700 - $900 now because of the 8310Z due in April. Ouch.

Dave
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked ebay out and I was not able to find a comparable trumpet that had sold on there. I didn't think the sterling silver bell was that rare, but it seems like there are much fewer of them out there then I had anticipated.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. You will need it later in life. What if something happens to your trumpet? What will you play?

You will get the best price if you don't care one way or the other. Some day somebody will play it and want it.

While you wait for that to happen you still have a good trumpet. The Ebay customer won't care if it plays well.
Graham Altham-Lewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you are thinking of selling one of your other horns...? Does this mean you own more than your Bach and Yamaha 6310? My advice - if you need the money badly then you have to sell. However I agree with other peoples advice. It seems like you have a really good Bach that you like. Once sold you may never be able to replace it later. If you can keep hold of it do, and don't sell. What other trumpets do you have and could you sell them?!!! By the way I wish I was a student again....!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner,
If you must get some cash, I bet your Bach will sell FAST on eBay at the price you want. A lot of people would love to own the horn you have. Do the search of eBay completed sales and include several good photographs in your listing. Good luck to you in school!
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see anyone sell a good horn because, as other posters have noted, there will come a time when you have more money and may regret having sold an insrument that worked well for you.

On the other hand, when your financial situation improves you can always buy another horn. There are lots of good ones out there.

If you decide you must sell, the TH marketplace is a good place to start. If you get no response within a week or two, I recommend a 10-day auction on eBay beginning at 7:30 PM PST on a Thursday evening. This means the auction will end on a Sunday evening during (more or less) prime time in all time zones.

By all means borrow a digital camera and take several good pictures of the horn, including a close-up of the valves removed and set aside from the horn.

Work hard on your description. Make it specific, friendly, and free of misspellings. Stress the unique features of the horn. Describe how it plays, how it sounds, how it looks.

Imagine yourself a as the buyer and address anything you'd want to know about: Do all slides move freely? How are the valves? How is compression? Mention any dents or dings, or the lack thereof, and explain what you've done to ensure the horn is clean. Be sure to say if you've had it customized in any way.

Also describe the case and any extras, including mouthpiece, lyres, etc.

Now, as to price, the going range for Elkhart Bach 37s seems to be in the $1,100 to $1,300 range. As someone above mentioned, double check this by going to eBay, searching "Bach 37 trumpet" and clicking on "Completed items" on the left. This will give you a rundown of all horns similar to yours sold recently.

I'd set the starting price at $1,000 or better. Set the reserve at the least amount above that you're willing to settle for.

If you're looking for a quick sale, you might want to use Buy It Now and set the price at $1,275 or similar.

Be sure to specify that the buyer is to pay shipping. Personally, I feel there's more incentive for the buyer if you say "actual shipping" rather than set a flat rate. You can easily calculate exact shipping to any zip code by going to the U.S. Postal Service or UPS websites.

Also, I think it's a good idea for the seller to pay for insurance in the amount of the winning bid. This protects you, as well as the buyer, and sends a good message. Besides, insurance is cheap.

One more thing: if you've never sold anything on eBay, you're going to be stuck with the drawback of having no feedback. Many buyers will not buy from a newbie. You can overcome this to a certain extent by working hard to make your listing as friendly and forthcoming as possible.

Another thing you might want to consider, if you can wait a few weeks, is buy some inexpensive items (CD's maybe) and build up your positive feedback. When you pay for the item ask the seller to post good feedback and explain that you'll do the same. Feedback is the lifeblood of eBay.

If you do decide to sell your horn, hope you get a good price!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
badebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sell it . . . Youullll beee ssooooooorryy!
Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: