• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cleaning the slides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
missouri_trumpet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you go about cleaning the slides on the horn? Mine are turning green and nasty. I use this cleaner called Flitz but it takes a while and it still doesn't work that great.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using a snake?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's on the outside of the slide, take it to your local music repair center and they can use an emory cloth to take that off. I wouldn't do it too often as it takes off some metal each time. If it's on the inside, the horn would probably need to be chem cleaned to get that stuff off. I've scraped at it before it just about won't come off. I believe it's solidified calcium.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
mikejarosz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If it's on the outside of the slide, take it to your local music repair center and they can use an emory cloth to take that off. I wouldn't do it too often as it takes off some metal each time. If it's on the inside, the horn would probably need to be chem cleaned to get that stuff off. I've scraped at it before it just about won't come off. I believe it's solidified calcium."

Taking it to your local repair center is the right thing to do. However, using emery cloth on brass slides is the wrong thing to do. Using emery cloth ONE time on slides will require them to be expanded. I know because I have done it and it is not fun. Calcium deposits, dried spit, corrosion, etc are all among types of build up that occur on the slides. A chemical cleaning WILLL remove all of that and leave the slides smooth and a shiny brass color. Flitz is used in our repair shop to shine up lacquer horns since it is a fiberglass cleaner.

After having them cleaned professionally, try using hetman synthetic light bearing & linkage (#13) on your first an third slides. Keep them frequently lubricated and they should stay shiny for a good long time. As far as the tuning slide, push it on when you put the horn away in the case. This will help to prevent premature discoloration.

Mike
BrassArranger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if you can get this in the USA, but if you want to get the crud of your brass slides, I wipe of all the slide grease and then rub HP Sauce over them and leave them for 10-15 minutes covered in it. The acids in the sauce works a treat in cleaning them back to their former bright and shinyness. Just rinse off with water and a towel. (wouldn't recommend using the sauce on food afterwards!)

Brass-Forum.co.uk

Bach Strad Bb ML 43 - Bach 3C
Schilke D/Eb E2 - Gold Plate - Bach 3C
Schilke Picc P5-4 - Silver plate - Bach 3C
Besson & Co Class A Prototype Flugel
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is HP Sauce?

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Trumpet_Mom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brass slides on my trumpets look brand new since I started using a brass cleaner on them. It's a home made recipe that I found on a web site called http://www.make-stuff.com. Go there and search for brass cleaner, or search this site for my posting of the mixture.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP sauce is a kind of steack sauce that doesn't taste pretty good. We got this in Canada too. But I'd really like to know how comes it help cleaning a trumpet? What is there in it and is the acidic stuff Ok to use on trumpet?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
Spede

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that toothpaste takes the dirt of the slides well. Never tried though...
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabasco sauce will also clean stains from copper and brass.

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tobasco Sauce will clean just about anything off of metal ... try using it to clean a penny!
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arainach
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clean off the outsides of my slides, I occasionally use Brasso, a brass cleaner. I use it sparingly, since, as said before, it does take off some metal each time. But it sure makes the slides look good and is available at many grocery and/or convienience stores.
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use toothpaste to shine my mouthpiece... never used it on slide. For mcp... it does good job and it isn't bad for the metal.

I'd be interestd to know if tabasco or HP sauce can be dangerous for the metal or if ti is justa good cleaner?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: