• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ambassador

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ash
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one's different, I guess.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3701345184&category=41396
Does anybody know where you can get this kind of lacquer job done?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you do that to an Olds?

But I'm guessing the shop that's selling it would do that kind of work for you...
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not positive but I believe that Barodi does all his work. kpb

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Malcolm (Alaskapro) has his horns overhauled and lacquered at Borodi Music in Cleveland http://www.borodimusic.com

Actually, the 'colored' Ambassadors that Alaskapro sells are all great horns, and make a real impact for Christmas or with kids at a concert! And remember, music is FUN!

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska Brass has been around on eBay selling these treatments for several years. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Mike
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makes me wanna cry.. or throw up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, there are still a lot of Olds to go around, but I feel the same way.

Mike
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you get physically ill from looking at a trumpet that YOU don't like? I don't understand the animosity against "non-traditional" colored trumpets, if you have a car it's probably not lacquered bare metal or silver/gold plated (although a silver plated car would look REALLY cool and be an extreme driving hazard!). If you own a Mac these days it's likely to be a "non-beige" color, and just about every major manufacturer is embracing that people WANT things to look different than the "old" way. Most people want to individualize to set themselves apart from the crowd, the trumpet world seems hell-bent on standardizing the sound & look of trumpets (i.e. "the Bach sound"). See how much hell people get for liking a Harrelson modified trumpet, or although I wasn't privy to any conversations per se Monettes probably got some hell for looking the way they do. People who look down at those who try to be different are nothing but close minded anti-change sheep. That Olds is a really nice looking horn IMHO, the technologies to do interesting things like this without affecting the sound too much is a fantastic revolution from the days of "So what shiney surface do you want, Yellow, Silver, or Gold?" Be glad that things change and accept that the ways things used to look will constantly evolve and when you say "I'm going to be sick" you might as well start telling the damn kids to keep of your grass, grandpa!
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't answer for the other guy, but I am just traditional and think Olds horns look fine the way they are. It is not a big thing with me, but the Ambassador and the other Olds they modify are probably one of the best horns ever made. I am used to mostly seeing old horns in their natural state so they don't look ugly to me with a fine matte finish that comes with age and no lacquer.

I don't really have a problem with someone doing what they want to with their own horns. Someone recently posted beautiful photos of an Ambassador with a few modifications including one of the nicest brushed lacquer jobs I have ever seen. I have a Studio model Olds in black lacquer. I just do not like the engraving and silver/gold plating treatments, but if someone else does, more power to them as long as they realize that they are paying $500 or so for what is basically a $100 Ambassador. Other than that, who cares? It all boils down to personal preference, anyway. You thinking of getting one of these?

Mike
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg, I'd love to see a pic of your Studio in black lacquer (seriously; I'm not looking to make fun of it, it sounds really sharp looking). Can you post one here?

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
jazzartizt1742
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being sarcastic! i just like the raw brass effect, and if you need to set yourself apart from others by having a flashy horn...well you should set yourself apart by how u play. also i like all the new horns with the cool stuff on them it's just that it was a nice Olds Trumpet...sorry if i offended n e one.

[ This Message was edited by: jazzartizt1742 on 2004-02-06 07:49 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote:
bg, I'd love to see a pic of your Studio in black lacquer (seriously; I'm not looking to make fun of it, it sounds really sharp looking). Can you post one here?
===================

I will try to figure out how to do it and will post it here if I can. It was a very nice little horn to start with and the lacquer, actually opaque black car paint, does not seem to take away from the sound at all. It's a great conversation piece on the band stand. Accents are in gold.

Mike

added: djm, check your PMs.

[ This Message was edited by: bgwbold on 2004-02-06 10:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: