• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fingering Chart for a 4 Valve Flugelhorn?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjyune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Fingering Chart for a 4 Valve Flugelhorn? Reply with quote

Hello. Does anybody know where I can find a fingering chart for a 4 valve flugelhorn? Thanks!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: flugel fingering Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to the TH. You really only need the 4th for low D and 2&4 for low C#. Other wise make your own harmonic chart incorporating the 4th valve much like what is in the Rubank books. 4, 4/2, 4/1, 4/1,2, 4/2,3, 4/1,3, 4/1,2,3 from each harmonic starting note.
tjyune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: flugel fingering Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,
Welcome to the TH. You really only need the 4th for low D and 2&4 for low C#. Other wise make your own harmonic chart incorporating the 4th valve much like what is in the Rubank books. 4, 4/2, 4/1, 4/1,2, 4/2,3, 4/1,3, 4/1,2,3 from each harmonic starting note.

Thank you for your assistance!
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably use a Euphonium chart as the 4th valve has the same idea for each. Here is a chart, keep in mind it is in concert pitch. http://www.norlanbewley.com/euphonium/fingering-positions.htm

All the best,
Mike
tjyune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MikeGreeninger"]You could probably use a Euphonium chart as the 4th valve has the same idea for each. Here is a chart, keep in mind it is in concert pitch. http://www.norlanbewley.com/euphonium/fingering-positions.htm

Thank you! Those are awesome charts! Q: Can you explain "Compensating" and "Non-Compensating"?
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjyune wrote:
.... Q: Can you explain "Compensating" and "Non-Compensating"?

This refers to a system built into euphoniums where the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd valves have TWO sets of valve slides. One set functions simply as a normal valve slide.

the second set functions in conjuction to the 4th valve so that when you press down 1 and 4, BOTH sets of valve slides on the 1st valve are used.

Why? The 1st valve side is built to lower the pitch of the instrument a whole step. But when you push down the 4th valve you no longer have a Bb instrument and the 1st valve slide would be too short to achieve a whole step. Thus the smaller other valve slide on the 1st valve.

The end result is that you can get the low F (1,4) E (12, 4) Eb (23, 4) etc so the fingering is the same as the octave above but with the addition of the 4th valve.

Now if we look a a four valve flugelhorn, a 1-4 most likely gives a very sharp low F and the 1-2-4 most likely gives a flat low F.

Because of the combination of valves being sharp the 1-2-4 is probably way too sharp to be an E, but 2-3-4 might be just fine for an E.

1-3-4 should work for Eb and 1-2-3-4 for D.

C sharp just isn't possible -- it IS possible on the euphonium with the addition of those second set of valve slides.

Of course each instrument is different so you'll have to find the fingerings that work the best on your instrument

I hope that clears some things up.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
C sharp just isn't possible -- it IS possible on the euphonium with the addition of those second set of valve slides.

Actually, and with sincere respect to DH and his helpful and knowledgeable response, low C-sharp (a half step above pedal C) is possible. I have played a 4v Getzen flugel for the past five years, and various 4v piccolo and E-flat trumpets many years more. For the 4v flugel, you have to pull the 4th slide and lip varied directions as you go to get those notes in tune. Depending on the harmonic, each successive descending half-step has to have an adjustment, which is needed even more in the low register. All of this is dependent on the 12th root of two (~1.06), which is the mathematical number associated with equal temperament...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_root_of_two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8HRKWtwDFQ

"The twelfth root of two or 12√2 is an algebraic irrational number. It is most important in music theory."

Notice how we have to kick out the 3rd slide some for low D, but even more for low C-sharp. This is due to the units of change between half steps on modern brass instruments. Trumpet makers have tried to make our instrument more in tune by different means, including variances in the size of tubing from mouthpiece to bell flare as an example, and some of seen noticeable success, but adjustments have to be made as valves are added. Then we have to figure in the harmonic (some tend to be flat, like the 5th harmonic). As we get into the area below low F-sharp on a 4v trumpet-related instrument, more adjustments have to be made to play in tune. I just added a trigger to the 4th slide on a 4v B&S E-flat, and it works great for notes down there. I plan to do the same on my Getzen flugel. Stay tuned; I'll announce all of this on TH hopefully soon...with pictures!
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say just listen and experiment with the fingerings. You can find what works for you. You can figure out what the horn does and just see how it sounds or use a tuner as needed.
4 valve flugels are super fun, just enjoy the freedom:)
Raggerty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dstpt

well, kinda, but out ears will naturally adjust things to just intonation (low integer ratios) rather than equal temperament (powers of the twelfth root of 2).
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raggerty wrote:
@dstpt

well, kinda, but out ears will naturally adjust things to just intonation (low integer ratios) rather than equal temperament (powers of the twelfth root of 2).

Or not, depending on the musical context. With electronic keyboards, for instance. Or when playing some styles of music, such as some bebop. It may be appropriate to naturally adjust things to equal temperament in many cases.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played my 4-valve Getzen 896 Eterna since the late 1970s. In college, I used the lower range to play Eb and F horn parts in brass ensembles.

As some mentioned, once you get below an F below the staff, the notes become progressively sharp. Once you get to a D above a pedal C, you're more than a half step sharp.

Here's what I do for my standard setup.
- 3rd valve slide out about 1/3 inch.
- 4th valve dump slide out about 1/2 inch.
- This allows me to use the 4th valve to help with low D's and C#'s.
But this requires me to use alternate valve combinations for
some notes.
Starting below a low F#...
F = 1+4
It's just a tad sharp, and must be lipped down.
E = 3+4
FYI, 1+2+4 is too sharp.
Eb = 2+3+4
It's just a tad sharp. I sometimes use 1+3+4.
D = 1+2+3+4
C# = all open
This should be a pedal C, but I lip the note up the half step.
I find the note more resonant that using 1+2+3+4 and lipping
the note down. But either way, low C# is a challenge.

If I'm playing a lot of low notes ....
- 3rd valve slide out a 1/3 inch.
- 4th valve slide out 1/2 inch.
- 4th valve dump slide out as far as it goes (more than an inch).
- In this setup, I can't use the 4th valve to help with low D's and
C#'s. But I can use use more standard fingerings on the
lower notes.
Starting below a low F# ...
F = 1+4
E = 1+2+4
Eb = 2+3+4
D = 1+3+4
C# = 1+2+3+4

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of Mike's (TrumpetMD) fingerings and 4th slide pulls outlined above are close to what I've used. I got the same 4v Getzen flugel particularly to practice notes below low F-sharp without having to do weird embouchure manipulations (for me) to make those notes centered as pedal tones and to work in a direction of making gentle increments of change in chop setting from one note to the next. If you end up doing something like what Mike has done–playing F and E-flat horn parts–then you might consider a deep-cupped mouthpiece to make those low notes easier to center. I mainly play a Denis Wick 2FL and find it fairly easy to get those low notes in tune, including pedal C-sharp, so your mouthpiece choice is, of course, another component to working on intonation issues. If you have to play, say, "Feels So Good" on a cover band gig, obviously you'd be using mpc equipment more suitable to the upper register on the horn.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To simplify all the above:

4=1+3.

In other words, the 4th valve is the same holding down 1+3 together, with the advantage that you can pull and set it in tune without needing a trigger. But that said, without a slide kicker on the other valves, all 4th valve combinations will be sharp, because pitch is geometric, not linear

This is the same as on three valve instruments 1 may be in tune by itself, and 3 may be in tune by itself, but you have to kick out something to get 1+3 in tune. That is the primary purpose of a 4th valve on low brass. Extra low range is a by-product.

Flugelhorns and all basic 4-valve low brass are non-compensating, meaning they don't have extra loops of tubing to get the sharp combinations in place. So 2+4 will be only slightly sharp but lippable, and the rest of the combinations progressively sharper and need either extended throw-out or even alternate valve combinations to get the pitches down to tune.

And for interest's sake, the best applet to describe how a compensating horn works, with all the secondary plumbing necessary for low brass:
http://www.dwerden.com/eu-articles-comp.cfm
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
To simplify all the above:

4=1+3.

Lots of great information here.

I hope I'm not spitting hairs, but the 4th valve is usually built to be 1 + 3 + extended valve slide. In other words, for a low D we usually play 1 + 3 and extend the 3rd valve slide. 4 by itself should be that length (again, each instrument will vary but if the slide isn't set for that, I make it so (or in the case of picc so the low F is in tune))

My early years were spent as a 4 valve euphonium player, and then with the piccolo trumpet and flugel I guess I have a 4 valve instrument to play regularly since 1966!!

As others have mentioned a lot can depend on the specific instrument. Since 90% of my picc playing is baroque played on the A side, I don't even know of any of the 4 piccs I've gone through could do a low C#. Just never came up for me. It came up very often on euphonium but the compensating system works great for that.

In any case we take the horn we have, move slides and lip until we're perfectly in tune and amaze everyone we play with!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: