• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Warburton size problem on kanstul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ASB1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Warburton size problem on kanstul Reply with quote

I need a new mpc and the comparator shows that all the sizes in the 4 series are the same except the SV cups. The SV cup diameters are even w/the 3 series...why is this? I want to buy one all-around/jazz and one lead piece. should i just get the S cup? or is the comparator wrong?

also I play on a 3c right now, will the 4 rim be a good switch as far as contour and diameter? do warburtons sound better? lol
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend you just call Warburton and ask. They're very helpful on the phone.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking at this web version? I think somebody as been messing with some of the Kanstul comparator sites. On this one they are all different shapes in the 4 series.

http://kanstul.net/mpcJN/Compare/CompareIE.HTM

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
Are you looking at this web version? I think somebody as been messing with some of the Kanstul comparator sites. On this one they are all different shapes in the 4 series.

http://kanstul.net/mpcJN/Compare/CompareIE.HTM

Terry re-did his rims after the fire anyway. They've got a different contour now. The Kanstul comparator, for current production Warburton stuff, is out-of-date.
ewetho
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are helpful but not as definitive as I'd hoped. Look at a Bach 1B vs. a Schike 20D2d and you'll see they are almost identical. Uh, Not even. Most guys look at it and can't believe how HUGE it actually is.

I look more for general profile info nothing more and still hope it is close.

Heck they show more difference between a 1C and 1D than between a 1B and 20D2d. I can tell you that my Bach 1 series are all the same diameter and agree with Bach Literature within .001". As I measure my 20D2d it is within .002". And they are .030" off of each other. So how is that???

Also shows the 3C to much shallower than my 1C and it is not. It was actually very close even with my 7C. Heck my CKB 3C is the same as my VBC 3C. The Shilke is as much of a change bigger than the 1c as the 1c is from the 3c.

Personally find it a VERY compelling idea but not as well measured as I'd hope or at least consistently transfered to diagrams of the same scale.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I asked Terry his opinion of this site. He said it could be very accurate, but it was accurate only for the mpc measured. If the maker's control methods are not consistant then the mpc measured will not give you accurate feedback for every model.

And, as blasticore said, Terry has changed his cup design since the fire so, in effect, there are two different Warburton designs, pre-fire and post-fire. It is easy to see and feel the difference plus the new ones have "Oviedo" stamped on them.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
A couple of years ago I asked Terry his opinion of this site. He said it could be very accurate, but it was accurate only for the mpc measured. If the maker's control methods are not consistant then the mpc measured will not give you accurate feedback for every model.

Kanstul says the same thing. Regardless, the Kanstul Comparator is a good tool and online resource.
ASB1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So since they are different now, which ones should I try to get? anyone know how they differ? can I expect the sv diamter to be the same as the other 4 series if i get it? thanks
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post-fire cups are not completely bowl shaped. There is an inner cup "ledge" that you can feel with your finger between the rim and the throat. And the opening into the throat is a little larger.

You would have to try them yourself. There are plenty of the pre-fire "bowl shaped" cups available on the internet. The rim itself seems to be the same. And the backbores are the same.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
kallen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Kanstul Comparator ever got updated to reflect the post-fire Warburton cup shapes?
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
Jazz@heart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but the old warburtons (at least the 3M that I play) had a rim contour similar to Bach MV3C. The new ones are more flat across, with more bite on the outer edge. Warburton can make the old design if you ask them nicely.
kallen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pre-fire 4M and 4MD, but about a year ago started using the current (Warburton USA stamped) versions of these. I've gotten comfortable with the current rims and actually prefer the sound of the current cup designs. To my mind, there's a noticeable difference in how they feel and respond. Some players have remarked that they find the inner rim bite a little too sharp on the current models, but I've gotten used to it.

The Kanstul Comparator is a useful visual aid in figuring out how different mouthpiece designs work, and especially in figuring out what direction to go when changing mouthpieces. It would be even more useful if it were absolutely current, but, hey, we're not exactly paying Kanstul to access it.

The Warburton site shows cup cross-sections at http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/trumpet-cornet-and-flugelhorn-mouthpieces#cup_designs, another useful visual aid.
Yamaha 631FH Fluegelhorn
Warburton 5M/6*, 5FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: