• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trying a bigger mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Trying a bigger mouthpiece Reply with quote

I've been looking into switching to a bigger mouthpiece for a darker sound.I am playing a Schilke 11, and when I tried a friends Curry 3C my top five notes or so sounded extremely pinched. Is this just not the right size for me? Would I get my range back in time with practice? Any I put would be helpful, thanks!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your chops do well on a Schilke 11, there are options to get a more symphonic sound on that same rim. One would be to get a bigger backbore, but I strongly advise against altering your current mpc; keep that to have something consistent. Schilke's next deeper cup is a D, and so is their next bigger backbore. So you could order an 11D3d. Not sure if they have standard sizes bigger than that but you could ask.

You could also look into Laskey; Scott Laskey used to work for Schilke and he may be able to set you up with something you love for less than a custom Schilke?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Trying a bigger mouthpiece Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I've been looking into switching to a bigger mouthpiece for a darker sound.I am playing a Schilke 11, and when I tried a friends Curry 3C my top five notes or so sounded extremely pinched. Is this just not the right size for me? Would I get my range back in time with practice? Any I put would be helpful, thanks!

Back bore and throats can give a very dark sound without losing register. Hey range is important! Ditto endurance.

I like to make mouthpiece changes in small graduations. Granted range is probably more important to me than you. However it seems to me fairly obvious that no mouthpiece change should ever make playing the trumpet more work.

I tend to use two different mouthpieces. One about the size of a 3C but with a well rounded rim and softer inner rim "bite". That and an extremely shallow cup "screamer piece" of my own design.

Unlike most trumpets who double my screamer piece is my main one. I do 90% of my work on it and 10% on the larger piece. Most other cats who use two mouthpieces make the larger piece their main. I dont. Doesnt work that way for me.

Scream piece gives me good endurance, lots of power for 3 sets of big band lead up to high A and B flat. Or G and A flat concert. Just below double C

My larger piece gives me excellent control and endurance to high D or so. And if need be I can still pop a few high F's. Yet I use it for my control in the middle and lower registers. It also helps play technical phrases better. But after laying off the piece nearly the whole summer I was damned near shocked to find myself completely at ease with the larger mouthpiece just the other night. Conclusion?

Embouchure development is just as critical on my shallow piece as it is on the bigger one. And playing my shallow piece on a regular basis still gives me plenty of endurance and strength on the larger piece.

I probably ought to spend a little more practice time on the larger piece but it isnt as critical as one might think.

My advice to the O/P is to not sacrifice range.

As the best quality in a trumpet's sound is when it sounds secure. Relaxed, secure, it sounds like you know what the hell you're doing.

A mouthpiece never gets tired. A pinched tone in the upper register can be a sign of the need for more embouchure development. However I like to look at range like I do making money. Which would you rather do,

Work an extra 20 hours/week to make 50% more income? Either that or,

Cut back on expenses, stop eating at cafes. Bring a bag lunch, limit expenses on luxuries. Apply thrift and then SAVE an extra 50% without going through working a second job?

Again, a mouthpiece never gets tired. That deep tone you get on your large piece is all well and good. But having a weak tone in the upper register will likely negate that lower register advantage.

Our range tends to "decay" during the course ofvan engagement. If you have a high F at the beginning of a concert but by the end of the 2 hour gig you're barely getting the high C? Then your range is not high F. Its the C.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: