• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Phone Lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootgaloot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one make arragements for phone lessons - e.g. time to call, how long, can you use a cell phone, How much does it cost? etc.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toots, I don't know the answer as I've been lucky enough to live reasonably close to Jerry and make the drive. Perhaps someone else will have the info. But, call Jerry directly at his home studio: (718) 477-5803. He's quite easy to get ahold of. Let us know the scoop as I'm hoping others will be interested too. - Kyle
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject that I have personal experience with. For months, I took weekly lessons by phone with Jerry. Based on his regular hourly rate of $50, I broke that down to a minute rate of about $.83. I rounded that up to $.85 and agreed to pay Jerry that for the phone lessons. Typically, the phone lessons lasted around 15 to 20 minutes. I would time the lessons and pay him at the end of each month for the total minutes he had spent with me. Further, I found that a speaker phone worked very well for this purpose. I was always amazed at what Jerry could hear over that phone. We have to remember that he has made a living out of listening to players from all over the world by phone. He can hear the slightest flaw in a player's technique so, in that sense, it's a little intimidating. If you can't go for personal lessons, this is not a bad way to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone lessons? You've got to be kidding me! Go take a lesson in person. There is no way he can tell what you "really" sound like over a phone line.

save your money,

romey
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romey--Admittedly, it does sound unlikely that a teacher could teach effectively by phone. On the other hand, Jerome is not your average teacher and has spent many, many years listening to players by phone. I am one of them and I can assure you that he can, in fact, hear technique flaws by phone. For a player with TCE, there is a unique core sound he wants to hear and, in addition, he listens to the attack. He can tell if you're doing it "right" by just listening, even by phone. Are phone lessons as effective as lessons in person? Certainly not, but it would be a great disservice to those who cannot visit Jerome to discourage them from calling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken countless lessons in person from very renowned players and teachers around the country. I've taken numerous private and phone lessons from Mr. Callet (if you study with him privately he often throws in the phone lessons free). I've learned more from Mr. Callet than from all other players and teachers combined. And, I've learned as much from the phone lessons as from the in-person ones. Countless times over the phone, Jerry has "hit the nail on the head". Though I think it's extremely helpful for any teacher to get to know you face-to-face, I recommend Jerry's phone lessons very highly. Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: