• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions on preferred cornet makers/models

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ctrumpet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a college student and am not familiar with the world of cornets. I have played cornet using a school owned Besson, which was old and not great, and using a friends Yamaha which was good. I just wanted some info about what I've found on other forums to be some of the most frequently mentioned cornets; Olds, Yamaha, Bach, and Conn makes. Also I would like to know what members prefer among these? I'm looking to know more about cornets and possibly purchase one.
Downunder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you going to be using the cornet for? This will help determine what type of cornet you should get.

If you're going to use it for Britsh Brass Band playing or you want that type of sound, then you'll need to look at shepherd's crook style instruments such as Besson Sovereign, Bach 184, Schilke XA1, Yamaha Maestro (6335HS), Getzen etc. I do almost all my playing in brass bands and use a ZeuS Guarnerius (copper belled model) cornet and it's a very good instrument.

The long model ("American style") cornets generally have a brighter sound than the shepherd's crook instruments.

Also make sure you get a proper cornet mouthpiece for it, not just one of the trumpet mouthpieces which have cornet shanks on them!

Stephen Williams
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask this in the cornet forum you will probably get a good response.

Having just spent a brief moment thinking I found the following thread that might prove useful.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=13736&forum=27&76
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: