• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ambassador trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schilkeguy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard alot of people talking about Olds ambassador trumpets. How do they play? I have a Blessing ML-1 that I used as a marching horn and I was wondering if it would be worth selling it and using the money to get an Ambassador (plus have a little extra money left over). What's your oppinion on the Ambassador?
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was returning to the trumpet after 7 years off I didn't have my old gold Bach anymore because, I, uhh, well, I pawned it and never got it back out, yeah I know how intelligent that was. Anyway, I started looking online for inexpensive used trumpets and Ambassadors seemed to rank very high on the performance-to-cost issue. I spent $200 total and actually ended up with two Ambassadors courtesy of eBay, they were not the best looking horns and the one I ended up keeping every soldier joint had been redone very poorly. The thing is, it still plays very nicely for what it is, and although I have a hard time keeping mine in tune I feel like I can understand the quality of manufacter that people spoke of. They will clean up very nicely ask 'mulligan stew' about his or you can have it can look like mine, which is not so shiney and kind of ratty. The notes still come out though and for anyone looking for an inexpensive "comeback" trumpet or a good "road practice horn" Ambassadors would be hard to beat for the price.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question you should try an Ambassador. A lot already has been said on these horns, and I have owned quite a number of them. My preference are those produced prior to 1970. The only thing is to remember that these were student line horns and one has to exercise reasonable care to ensure that you aren't buying a pile of junk. Don't get me wrong, a good one is a lot of fun to play with a huge tone core. But here's what I have seen personally...bent lead pipes, bad solder joints, ill fitting and stuck slides, rusty valves, worn thru valves, poor re-valve jobs, poor fitting mp receivers (from decades of stuck mps), pitted brass, red rot, bad refinish jobs, bad raw-brass jobs, leaky spit valves, along with the usual dings, dents, bends, flat spots, scratches, and so on. Get one, but go in with your eyes open.
supercrewdrew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend getting an Ambassador (duh, check my list of horns at the bottom). You'll find listings being added almost every day on eBay and if you're patient, you'll come away with a good deal. My main horn is a raw brass 1953 Olds Ambassador. I've got a few "newer" Ambassadors but I prefer the L.A. models versus the Fullerton ones. Rich Ita gave it a "tune up" (dent removal, valve alignment and polishing) and it looks fantastic and plays just as well as it looks. I've got a 1974 Bach Strad (silver-plated and a gorgeous trumpet) that I've had since it was new that sits in it's case because I prefer the Ambassador.

(added) oh yeah, I bought all the Ambassadors on eBay over the last 2 years. Price range from $30 to $130.

[ This Message was edited by: supercrewdrew on 2004-02-07 11:03 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: