• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monette B2 to B3 S3 Resonance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Monette B2 to B3 S3 Resonance Reply with quote

Is there anyone who used to play a Monette B2 (or C2) and now is on a B2 S3 Resonance (or C)?

I bought a used B2 S3 Resonance and the rim feels nothing like my old B2/C2 rim. It seems to have a much sharper inner edge at the cup. For me, not comfortable to play like the old B2/C2 are.

That seems to imply there is no upgrade path from the old B2/C2
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your old B2 one of the pre-CNC ones (with the machining lines in the cup)? I'm wondering if they "sharpened" up the rim with the transition to CNC.

I know dr_trumpet had some non-Slap _15M's made, maybe he can give you some input.

When I was playing that size, I had a STC-1 B2, a STC-1 B2S5 and a Resonance C2S3 and they all felt the same, but my B2 had the "shiny cup" indicating it was a CNC made piece.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply
jaysonr wrote:
Is your old B2 one of the pre-CNC ones (with the machining lines in the cup)? I'm wondering if they "sharpened" up the rim with the transition to CNC.

Yes they (B2 C2) both have the machining lines (I've always wondered why other mouthpieces from the same era don't have those).

When I played a B12 I switched to B12 S3 and like the slap cup. That wouldn't be a problem. The problem seems to be the new Resonance S3 models have a quite different feel to the rim.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Thanks for the reply
jaysonr wrote:

Yes they (B2 C2) both have the machining lines (I've always wondered why other mouthpieces from the same era don't have those).

When I played a B12 I switched to B12 S3 and like the slap cup. That wouldn't be a problem. The problem seems to be the new Resonance S3 models have a quite different feel to the rim.

It was probably a tweak made at the CNC switch. Maybe someone whose played newer and older B2 rims can comment.

I've also wondered about the lines, and how they made the pieces pre-CNC. Stork pieces have similar marks, but not as pronounced as the Monette pieces I've seen as do Parke (even less pronounced than Stork).
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both pre-CNC (B2, C2) and CNC Monette (B2L S something Classic, B2 S5 Prana, B2 S3 Classic Resonance ) mouthpieces. If there is a difference between the CNC and hand turned versions, it hasn't been anything I have noticed.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Monette B2 to B3 S3 Resonance Reply with quote

DH wrote:
Is there anyone who used to play a Monette B2 (or C2) and now is on a B2 S3 Resonance (or C)?

I bought a used B2 S3 Resonance and the rim feels nothing like my old B2/C2 rim. It seems to have a much sharper inner edge at the cup. For me, not comfortable to play like the old B2/C2 are.

They are different. When I had my 1-5M resonance mouthpieces made, I specifically asked them for the 1-5M, no slap cup. When I first got it, the rim felt slightly different, but not significant enough to send back. After a couple weeks of playing only the Resonance pieces, I loved them. Going back and forth between them and my other standard 1-5M mouthpieces is not nearly the issue that it seemed.

If you want to get a standard B2/C2, call Monette and tell them. They will make them. The slap cups do feel different, and I myself have found only a couple that I prefer over the older classic model. But they work great for others, so I assume it's my personal preference.

Hope this helps,

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
YBChen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Monette B2 to B3 S3 Resonance Reply with quote

Do you mind share some information about the difference between a Slap and non-slap monette mpc, and how do you feel about it? Thanks!

dr_trumpet wrote:
DH wrote:

They are different. When I had my 1-5M resonance mouthpieces made, I specifically asked them for the 1-5M, no slap cup. When I first got it, the rim felt slightly different, but not significant enough to send back. After a couple weeks of playing only the Resonance pieces, I loved them. Going back and forth between them and my other standard 1-5M mouthpieces is not nearly the issue that it seemed.

If you want to get a standard B2/C2, call Monette and tell them. They will make them. The slap cups do feel different, and I myself have found only a couple that I prefer over the older classic model. But they work great for others, so I assume it's my personal preference.

Hope this helps,

AL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: