• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul Chicago MLP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptpt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been checking out a horn on ebay. It is a Kanstul Chicago MLP. It seems priced right(if the auction does not go much higher), but I wanted to find out more about the horn from people who have played one.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: tptpt on 2004-01-29 19:13 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Interesting listing. I can't imagine that Zig Kanstul would like being called Ziggy or considered a student of Elden Benge. Anyway to the horn. The Chicago MLP is based on the Chicago Benge. Kanstul actually used a Chicago Benge to model the development of the Chicago model. They play very similar to the Benges and are great horns. I used to own the ML bore because I found it the best one out of about 6 I played that day. there was a MLP that was close. I have owned several benges and they compare very favorably. I thought mine was an excellent horn. They are very versatile horn. I did not find them too bright. I used mine in orchestra as well as in a Brass Quintet. I hope you get it.

Good Luck!

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-01-29 17:20 ]
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new Chicago 1070 from Jack Kanstul. This is the best trumpet I've ever played and Jack is a great guy to work with.
While you're bidding, keep in mind that you can get a new one for under $1400.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the proud owner of a new Chicago MLP -- I bought it late December 2003 from PiCK Music. I'm really enjoying the way I sound, with it, somehow sweeter than what I can get with my Bach 37 ML. The Chicago is really a very nice horn, as were all the Kanstul horns I tried out. I also had one person (a retired music faculty member) comment that my playing sounded "easier" on the Chicago. Very nice horn and a good complement to my Bach.

If the bidding on ebay goes much higher, I'd suggest you do some shopping to see what the current street/mail order price is for a new Chicago 1001 with case.

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I also own a Chicago MLP...it's a fantastic trumpet and really does credit to the early Benges it's modelled after. Like them, it's not overly bright and is very smooth in the lower registers and gets just the right amount of edge when you push it. As with most Kanstuls it's well made and the valves are excellent.

I paid around $1200 for mine from Dillons (that was about 18 months ago) and comes with a great double gig bag.

Regards

Trevor
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee I have been holding out getting one because I thought they were selling for $1600+

Hmm...... $1200......and IRS refund coming...............

I really liked the MLP I tried. Nice, even blowing horn.

Dave M
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently tried out both the Kanstul Chicago 1000 and 1001 (460 and 464 bore) horns and I really, really like them. I've owned a few Kanstuls and these are now my favorite horn Kanstul makes. They are a somewhat underrated horn, IMO. They are made every bit as well as the Signature horns but sell for a few hundred less (Brasswind sells the Chicagos new for $1299).

These horns, to my ears, have not exactly a bright-- but a brash, trumpety (for lack of a better word) sound and play very easily. They project out well and I would think could be used in about any setting. These Chicagos are one of the easier trumpets I've ever played high notes with (I can see all trumpet players ears ***** up on that one). I personally liked the MLP over the 460 bore but they were both great. It just comes down to a matter of preference for the "feel."

These Chicago models are among the best, if not THE best trumpets Zig is currently making, in my humble opinon, and are also at a great price-- for now, I've heard they may be going up to Signature prices. Incidentally Brasswind (wwbw.com) should be selling a used Chicago 1001 MLP in the next week or so for $1129. I know this because I just sent it back to them after having it on trial! It's in great shape and plays great-- plus you have the option of trying it out and sending it back if you're not totally satisfied with it. Keep an eye out for it on their web site, or call them.
tptpt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrk Bradley wrote "Incidentally Brasswind (wwbw.com) should be selling a used Chicago 1001 MLP in the next week or so for $1129."

This gives me a good guide on how high to bid on the Ebay horn. BTW, is it crazy to buy this on Ebay?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't buy from Ebay I would recommend PiCK Music! Priscilla is great to work with!!!!
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI...there is one listed on MARKETPLACE here on TH. Just saw it. kpb
DavesTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too depressed over it to look again, but when I check woodwind brasswind lastnight, the price had increased to about $1500! Thursday, when I was planning my strategy on how to purchase one, it was still $1299. Rats!

Dave M
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are seeing is something new - Kanstul has a minimum advertised price. They asked me in the begininng not to advertise my prices on the internet, so I never have.

The price did not go up 15%. not that they aren't worth it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: