• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Newbie, Thoughts on YTR-232 Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcavanau

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Newbie, Thoughts on YTR-232 Horn Reply with quote

Hello...

Thinking of picking up a trumpet to learn with. Played flute back in middle school, but it was never really my thing. My son plays sax, and also wants to play some bugle calls for scouts. So I started looking for a used trumpet, since we could both use it.

Found a Yamaha YTR-232 locally, which looks pretty good, but I have not yet seen it in person. The owner did send me a few pics. Hoping you all might be able to chime in on it.

http://www.lartren.com/pics/trumpet/YTR-232-1.jpg
http://www.lartren.com/pics/trumpet/YTR-232-2.jpg
http://www.lartren.com/pics/trumpet/YTR-232-3.jpg
http://www.lartren.com/pics/trumpet/YTR-232-4.jpg

The owner was upfront about the spot of red rot (I assume that is what it is) on the tuning slide above the water key. He said that is the only flaw he is aware of, no other dents or spots. He has owned it since middle school, and played it up through college. He said he had it rebuilt when he started college.

I know that it is hard to judge by photos alone, but would appreciate any feedback. I plan to look at the following, once I can arrange to see it in person.

-All slides move
-Check inside of lead pipe, slides, etc. for any signs of additional rot
-Make sure valves are free an move well, top/bottom caps come off
-Verify corks seal well on water keys

Anything I am missing? Since I don't know how to play yet, I can't really play it, and don't have anyone that I know to drag along.

Comes with everything in the pics, trumpet, case, multiple mouthpieces, a mute (pretty rough), oil, etc.

Appreciate any feedback. Lots of others around as well, but most are not well known brands.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that exact same model in high school, college, and for several years after. I used it for marching band, basketball pep band, and as a backup. I thought it was a great horn, easy to play and with a pretty good sound. If you get very strong and blow it hard, it will begin to sizzle, which is great for some playing situations but can be a liability in others.

This is an old horn by now, so I'd disassemble it completely and inspect it very, very closely. I'd also be especially concerned about whether the valves seal and hold compression. You can pull the valve slides to see how well they pop, and press a valve, extend the slide, release the valve, then pull the slide back in to see how well it seals and holds pressure. The valves might be leaky by now, which would be a deal breaker for me.

Assuming it's still in good condition, the price would have to be pretty good. There are newer options out there, things like Yamaha 2335 and 2330, which have a first valve saddle for easier intonation adjustments and might be in better condition for not too much money. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Yamaha trumpet Reply with quote

I agree, for a few dollars more, you can get a newer model with the 1st slide thumb saddle.
Possible trumpet options:
Yamaha trumpet
https://lansing.craigslist.org/msg/d/yamaha-trumpet/6307529275.html

Bach student trumpet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bach-Student-Trumpet-/332419270569?hash=item4d65bb87a9:g:6PIAAOSwk~ZZ5~RR

Holton 602 trumpet
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLTON-T602P-TRUMPET-USED-/362123057405?hash=item54503758fd:g:OlIAAOSw1VJZ1sqm

Good luck in your search.
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Assuming it's still in good condition, the price would have to be pretty good. There are newer options out there, things like Yamaha 2335 and 2330, which have a first valve saddle for easier intonation adjustments and might be in better condition for not too much money. Hope this helps. Good luck!

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
I agree, for a few dollars more, you can get a newer model with the 1st slide thumb saddle.

Newer might be better, because it might be in better condition overall. Maybe. It's certainly no guarantee.

My opinion is that a 1st valve saddle is fine, often comfortable to hold, but used fairly infrequently for actual adjustment - even when I played semi-professionally.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
bcavanau

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information and recommendations. I believe I have found a Holton 602 locally, and will be checking it out. We'll see how it goes.

Now that I have a possible line on a horn, need to start looking for a teacher.

Thanks,
Brian
kfeldt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a YTR2320 that I played into high school. My understanding is that this is just a slightly newer version of the YTR232. That horn is certainly in better shape than mine! I recently played on it again for a couple weeks while my Bach was in the shop.

It took a little while for me to get used to again, but I think it is a decent student horn. Kind of a bright sound, slots really well, for me it gets a little stuffy in the upper register. I'd also agree with dstdenis's comment about the sound beginning to break up if you blow it hard (this is part of the reason it took me a while to get adjusted to it), but that may not be much of an issue for a beginner. Valves are OK, but won't be mistaken for a pro horn.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 232 looks to be in good repair. It'd probably be a fine choice for someone starting out. I agree that the 2000-series are probably a bit more desirable.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was a kid first starting out on a used, beat up King cornet, that about half of my friends who started on trumpet got the Yamaha YTR 232. I used to be so envious of them because compared to my King cornet, they played so well. But, that was a lifetime ago - 36 years actually - and I'm not sure if my memory of how well those 232s played then, when I was in 5th through early 8th grade when I got my own Yamaha, (a silver plated 739T) is going to have much relevance.

In retrospect, it probably didn't take much to play better than that old King cornet.

All the same, if you are a beginner, the 232 is a student model horn. It would probably serve your needs well.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: