• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protec iPac double trumpet case

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Gary

I never did find out about the Protec case.

I went for this case in the end:

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/jp-pro-deluxe-double-trumpet-fiberglass-case-in-black/

It is tall enough to fit in my short model Yamaha Xeno cornet with a tall valve block, so will very likely fit a long model cornet.

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/jp-pro-deluxe-double-trumpet-fiberglass-case-in-black/

Best wishes

Lou

I remember reading that you with the John Parker case. And I seem to recall that you have a shepherds crook cornet. So different case, different horn.

Hi Gary

Yes, I have a Yamaha Xeno short model cornet, which is a fair bit taller and has a wider wrap than my Bach 184ML short model cornet. So yes, a different horn, but I still feel that the John Packer is an alternative for the IP301, and I know that this case will fit a cornet.

Still wondering if the IP301 is tall enough,

Sorry, I have no idea. I went for the John Packer, because John Packer are in Taunton in the UK, and I could simply telephone them and ask them.

Gary.

Take care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Frasse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Gary

I never did find out about the Protec case.

I went for this case in the end:

It is tall enough to fit in my short model Yamaha Xeno cornet with a tall valve block, so will very likely fit a long model cornet.

Best wishes

Lou

I remember reading that you with the John Parker case. And I seem to recall that you have a shepherds crook cornet. So different case, different horn.

Gary.

If it is of any help, i regularly carry my B&S 3142/2 Brochon cornet in the ProTec double case. It is a pretty snug fit but it works well for me.

My biggest gripe with the case is that Arbans just barely fits into the side pocket. Everytime i bring it somewhere it feels like the zipper will tear it apart.
jmac723

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:

Gary.

i have the IP301, the JP Double, and the Kanstul 730 cornet. The cornet fits in the protec case (and the JP). if i were going back and doing it over, I'd buy only the JP. the protec cases are built well but i find these issues with the Ipac Double:
- it's heavy but not super protective. the jp is about the same weight but more protective.
- it's too big to be convenient (i.e. bigger than many other double cases) and too small to hold music/mutes. so it's bigger than the JP but not so much bigger that it becomes more convenient because i still cant carry mutes or a lot of music.
- the backpack straps that you can buy are uncomfortable because the mounting hardware is in an awkward place. i used to have a daily 2 mile walk with the Protec and it's too uncomfortable for that long of a walk. i ended up carrying it with the shoulder strap (which is how you carry many other double cases so the extra advantage of the backpack hardware is offset by the fact I didnt ended up using it).

That said, i do like the modularity of the protec. YMMV
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

jmac723 wrote:
I have the IP301, the JP Double, and the Kanstul 730 cornet. The cornet fits in the protec case (and the JP). if I were going back and doing it over, I'd buy only the JP.

The JP costs almost twice as much - and now I know the reason.

Thank you.

Gary.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

ghelbig wrote:
jmac723 wrote:
I have the IP301, the JP Double, and the Kanstul 730 cornet. The cornet fits in the protec case (and the JP). if I were going back and doing it over, I'd buy only the JP.

Thank you.

Gary.

Hi Gary

In the UK, they are both about the same price.

I believe that it is just an issue of from where the product is supplied. Although I believe made in China, John Packer are a UK company, which may explain the price difference. I notice that Trent Austin is selling them for $279 US, which today is £211.50 GBP compared to the UK price of £169 GBP. I looked at the US price of the Protec double at Dillons, first US retailer that came to mind, and it is $142.25 US, which today is £107.83 GBP, compared to the UK price of £161.10 at Alan Gregory.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
jmac723

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
ghelbig wrote:

Thank you.

Gary.

Hi Gary

I believe that it is just an issue of from where the product is supplied. Although I believe made in China, John Packer are a UK company, which may explain the price difference. I notice that Trent Austin is selling them for $279 US, which today is £211.50 GBP compared to the UK price of £169 GBP. I looked at the US price of the Protec double at Dillons, first US retailer that came to mind, and it is $142.25 US, which today is £107.83 GBP, compared to the UK price of £161.10 at Alan Gregory.

All the best

Lou

that seems exactly right Lou! price doesn't spell out whether a case (or a horn!) will work for you. there are other factors like parts, labor, prestige of the brand, etc.

as an analog, some early monettes were made with getzen blocks and are more expensive for used horns than new getzen trumpets. moreover, a number of boutique US made horns are using hokkon gaxi blocks but not charging carol prices!
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Protec iPac double trumpet case Reply with quote

jmac723 wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
ghelbig wrote:

Thank you.

Gary.

Hi Gary

All the best

Lou

that seems exactly right Lou! price doesn't spell out whether a case (or a horn!) will work for you. there are other factors like parts, labor, prestige of the brand, etc.

as an analog, some early monettes were made with getzen blocks and are more expensive for used horns than new getzen trumpets. moreover, a number of boutique US made horns are using hokkon gaxi blocks but not charging carol prices!

Hi jmac723

Thanks very much.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: