• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olympus Owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dHoff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read it all, Positive and Negative. My new Zues Olumpus was delivered today. All I will say is please play it before you speak. I am thrilled. My experience dealing with Alex was great too; he doesn't have a shread of humility about his product, but I'm proud of it also, and all I did was order.

Perhaps all his talk was just the best marketing ploy possible. I don't care, I have found a sound I was looking for.

-dHoff
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious. I haven't tried any ZeuS as of yet, but I'm wondering what makes the Olympus better than the Guarnerius. Please, no flames.. I just want to know why less braces, one less waterkey (and a new Amado one) heavyweight valve caps, a larger bell and bore, a "valve forward" design (which I can't actually tell, to be honest. the Recording and Selmers were far more pronounced, with the valves being quite far forward, here I can't really even tell) with a reverse leadpipe make it a better horn. As has been stated tons of times on these boards, the best horn for you is one that fits your playing style and feels the best for you. I understand that Alex wants to build the best horn possible, but how do these changes actually improve the horn? Please note that this question could reflect these same changes between any model of Kanstul or Back or Yamaha.. etc etc. If anyone has played both an Olympus AND a Guarnerius, I would be very interested in hearing your comparison. If you've just played the Olympus, I'd like to hear a more detailed account of that too.

thanks,

Oliver
MoonBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dHoff,
What kind of sound are you getting with the Olympus? How is the "blow"? I could care less how Alex does business, if the horns is good THAT'S what matters. Thanks!
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Zeus forum moderator over at trumpet master has both horns and he writes about them.
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello dHoff, I'm glad you're so pleased with your new horn. The Olympus really speaks volumes. Let us know how it works for you after you've had it for awhile.

The Olympus has been an instant success. There have been many who talk down about this trumpet, but the negative comments are from those who have never played one. I happen to have an Olympus and a Guarnerius. Both are great trumpets and both will find their place in the trumpet world.

livertwist, I will try to answer all your questions.

"What makes the Olympus better than the Guarnerius?"
The Olympus is not better than the Guarnerius, it is just different. The differences are obivous; bigger bore, bigger bell, bigger sound. A great horn for big band, jazz or solos (IMO), although some Olympus owners play theirs in orchestral or symphonic settings.

"Why less bracing?"
Less bracing means more vibration and resonation. You and the audience will here the difference.

"Why one less waterkey (and a new Amado one) heavyweight valve caps?"
One less water key means one less hole drilled in the horn that can effect sound. (Many great horns are made without 3rd valve-slide water keys.) A lever-type water key on the main tuning slide might hit the bell when removing the slide (the bell is bigger than normal and closer to the main slide) Heavy bottom caps ensure for the best slotting possible.

"Why a valve-forward design?"
Although it is not as obvious (visually) on the Olympus as it is on an Olds Recording and such, if you put the Olympus right next to a conventional horn you will see and feel the difference. I owned a Recording for 30 years. The Olympus is very ballanced, and light; much easier to hold up for extended performances.

"Why a reverse leadpipe?"
One less hurdle for the air to pass on its way out of the horn.

The Olympus has a big beautiful sound, full of harmonics. With minimal effort you will blend with the horn section, or with a bit more push you will come out and be recognized. I play lead in a big band and first chair in a symphonic orchestra and with a local community band. I have 2 great horns to choose from and I wouldn't give either one up.

If you have any more questions I will try my best to answer them with the least amount of bias and as honestly as humanly possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not have said it any better myself! The ZeuS Guarnerius and the ZeuS Olympus are BOTH incredible horns, not designed to compete with, but simply "compliment," each other. You cannot go wrong with either.

Blessings,

(A ZeuS Dealer)
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they drill a hole into the tuning slide ? How often passes the air through the third slide ? Mabe 15 per cent. How often through the tuning slide ? Yes, 100 per cent.
Many rotary trumpetes do have drilled holes because they intonate more accurate ( Wiener Schule ?) .
Also, most trumpet players use a weighted cap only on the third valve.
The other two additional valves make a light or regular bell trumpet feel clumsy.
I suppose Alex designed this horn to look like a Monette. But since he does not like the sound of those Monettes he designed a light weight Monette- lookalike.
Each construction-detail has it advantages and disadvantages.
But not when Alex does it.
dHoff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoonBoy:
I am a "comback player" who wasn't very good when I left off almost 20 years ago. I don't know the lingo, but I will tell you this: a big powerful bottum end sound, I pushed to find, comes effortlessly. In my upper range (not very high) the sound is brighter and more clear than it was. I have been playing a 72 or 73 LA Benge, compared to that, this feels like a thoroughbread horse. It wants to run faster than I know how to ride. I do not mean to be dramatic, but the first notes I played, were just bigger, more clear and easier to reach. -but what do I know
-dH
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a chance to play the Olympus while it was being playtested by Matt Lawson here at the University of Louisville. I know there are many THers who don't like the maker, but the Olympus is an INCREDIBLE horn. I've never been able to play "You Don't Know What Love Is" and be able to hit that A above the staff without pulling a first slide, but the note just flowed out. Bottom register was fantastic, too-- for low D and C#, I think I only had to pull the third slide out half as far a on my Bach Strad. The quality of sound was great, too.

If you haven't tried out the Olympus, I would do it, even if it's ust for kicks. It's a great horn! I'll step back now and watch the flames.
Sorry to have fanned the flames!

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
bent trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do the two horns compare in weight? Which is heavier, Guarnerius or Olymous? Do you receive both types of valve caps, heavy and regular?
dmb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bent trumpet,

I would say the Olympus weighs less than the Guarnerius. It may just feel lighter due to the valve-forward design.
The Olympus only comes with the heavy bottom caps, though I wouldn't worry about that because after playing mine quite a bit I wouldn't change a thing.
Check with the ZeuS dealer near you. http://www.zacharymusic.com/Zachary_Music/Dealers.htm
Or contact me and I'll hook you up.
It's well worth the test drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWuX9zPJWyY
-----------------------------------------------
Olds
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any Zeus dealers near Milwaukee WI? I'm going to be in the market very soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GTM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the closest dealer is Eileen & Craig Kallmayer, in Chicago, who can be reached at: cwk@zeushorns.com or
http://www.zeushorns.com.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,
Golden Trumpet Ministries
Endorsing Artist - Wedge Mouthpieces and Phaeton Trumpets and Flugelhorns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: