• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unresponsive lips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Unresponsive lips Reply with quote

So I know all, if not most of us have days where our lips just don't feel responsive. Attacks are very slow and delayed, notes don't sound too pretty and don't at all come out easily.

I had one of those days yesterday. I did half of my practice in the morning; I felt terrible the whole time. With the symptoms I described above. So I took several hours off and didn't come back to the horn until late afternoon. Like magic, I felt incredible when I played again. Everything was clean, easy and precise. I was even slotting notes a third above where my usual ceiling is.

So what causes these unresponsive lips? And is the best anecdote rest, as I did?
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size mouthpiece do you use? I've had similar problems with one that is too small.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive lips Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
So I know all, if not most of us have days where our lips just don't feel responsive. Attacks are very slow and delayed, notes don't sound too pretty and don't at all come out easily.

I had one of those days yesterday. I did half of my practice in the morning; I felt terrible the whole time. With the symptoms I described above. So I took several hours off and didn't come back to the horn until late afternoon. Like magic, I felt incredible when I played again. Everything was clean, easy and precise. I was even slotting notes a third above where my usual ceiling is.

So what causes these unresponsive lips? And is the best anecdote rest, as I did?

I think it's mainly due to a 'hangover' effect having to do with something you did during the day(s) before. But, just as you mentioned, I find a brief stint of playing, followed by some time away from the horn before picking it up again is often helpful. I usually don't wait hours though. Sometimes just 15-20 minutes after the initial warmup period is helpful.

I think it's mainly getting circulation going and flushing out lactic acid or whatever else is causing it in the first place.

See also: warming up before you leave the house for a gig or rehearsal.
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point by Oxleyk. One cause of unresponsive lips is swelling which can have more impact on a smaller mouthpiece. I found my lips can swell slightly due to factors like humidity, diet....things I don't foresee and then when I am playing I can have trouble if I am using a mouthpiece that is too small. Of course, too much pressure causes swelling and the day after a hard gig it can be hard to get the sound going. Something I have found useful is playing breath attacks (poo), one quarter note per measure while slowly tapping my foot say 70 bpm. Do this for 5 minutes or more in the lower register. Next time I pick up the horn, it is all good again. Gentle pedal notes is another technique I find helps. Your choice of mouthpiece rim can effect how easy it is to get response going, I found on a bach 7EW, wide round rim, I had a lot of trouble getting clean starts the morning after.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks. I hadn't considered it being due to the mouthpiece. I do sometimes get the feeling that it is too small--I play on a GR 64M, comparable to a 7c. I have fairly large lips too. The rim is pretty wide, and a little curved. Are you suggesting a smaller rim aids responses? And I suppose a slightly larger diameter would help for me, too...
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I've ever experienced something like what you're describing is after overdoing it blowing a trombone. My upper lip in particular felt like it was two inches thick, felt hard, was visibly swollen with a certain amount of discomfort. Couldn't get a note out.

Otherwise, I've never felt delayed response as you're describing.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive lips Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
So what causes these unresponsive lips?

There can be many causes, like tired swollen lips. Not playing a warm-down after a strenuous session. There can be mouthpiece fit issues. Some trumpets respond easier than others. And for some trumpeters (including me), getting reliable embouchure response requires daily practice on exercises specifically designed for that.
Piccolo Stomvi
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Evening;

Any number of things can cause that, and I'm not actually sure that it matters what causes it. What I think is most important is how do you deal with it when it happens. For me, lots of slow, light, and soft practice seems to help. Long tones/flow studies, lip bends, flexibility studies, etc; all in the middle of the range and no louder than mf seems to really help.

That, and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0WWSvdRhHU

Good luck,
D
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discussion on treatment for swollen lips:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1405175

Warm regards,
Grit
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive lips Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:

Playing in the morning per se often is hampered by the fact that circulation hasnīt returned to the "day state", Nothing much one can do but for simpler&gentle warming up trying to jumpstart circulation. At least thatīs my experience.
Might add that this problem has become less pronounced since I began with the BE method. Guess this has to do with the specific extrem positions (Roll ins - Roll outs) which might "inocculate" the lips making them more flexible.
Another cause might be the so elusive dilemma of over - use; too much practice. Elusive because it is all too easy to arrive at an over-use chops state. At least for us amateurs (being one myself).
Mouthpiece size? Yes of course to some extent. But sometimes when my lips feel terrible I "roam" my..... ahum..... huge collection returning to bigger ones - in vain. Swollen lips=unresponsive lips (for whatever reason). Besides that morning state - circulation below par.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the chops are stiff I find it helps to rest MORE than you play. For instance if I play a long tone for 20 seconds, I rest 30-40 seconds before playing the next long tone.

Also we tend to focus too much on the chops. If you keep a clear, vivid image of the sound in your imagination and remain PATIENT, things will clear up.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, when all else fails, go buy another mouthpiece. That'll fix everything.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Unresponsive lips Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I did half of my practice in the morning; I felt terrible the whole time.
<snip>
So I took several hours off and didn't come back to the horn until late afternoon. Like magic, I felt incredible when I played again.

The resting help you. What you did miss was the opportunity to dial in your response at the start of your practice.

I find that if I need to get sound going, or my response is not what I want at the start of a day, I need to put my practice energies into this, not just carry on and hope for the best.

Once the sound and response is dialled in, off we go with the musical needs of the day.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: