• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Weight difference between Conn 38B and 36B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Weight difference between Conn 38B and 36B Reply with quote

I've got a 38B that I really like, but it's just a little too heavy for me for the present. So I usually use a Benge, which is markedly lighter. Does anyone know the difference in weights between these models? Thanks.

p.s. also, do you hear a difference in sound between the two Connstellations?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: difference between 38b and 36b Reply with quote

I already sent a pm to Kaulani, but this is a fascinating question to me, cause I played a 36b for ten years and a Benge for about 24 yrs. I played some 38 b's at select bands or music camp and at 16-17 couldn't tell the difference much in sound. The 38b is heavier than most made today. I am now shocked at how both those Conn horns could project like an SOB but they are medium bore. It also answers, albeit later in my life why my first trials with a Schilke B series made me feel like the horn was draining my lungs dry all the time. One was a large bore and the other medium. The Schilke was a dream, but I always thought it was turning my lungs inside out. I may look into a 36 or 38 b now as they show up for sale in the marketplace pretty often.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone suggested to me that there wasn't a significant weight difference between the two Conns but that the balance on the 38B was placed differently, making it seem heavier that the 36B.

I played the 38B through high school and part of college and never gave a thought to the weight. But I'm now half a century older and, health wise, not as strong.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: