• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Glissando.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
germerv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my last phone lesson with JC, he assigned me to do glissandos from second line G to above stave G and also C to C. He said just rip up and rip down. I should have asked what this is supposed to teach me, but I didn't. I will next time. Has he assigned glissandos to anybody else out there and what do you think is the teaching object. If I don't hear from anybody, I'll tell you what he says when I ask him.

Germerv
germerv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't hear from anybody. So -- here's what he said. Glissandos just teach me what the higher notes sound like. Since slurring is easier up high, it's easier to get to the high note so one can know where it's supposed to be. Once you know, then you start up high and glissando down and back up again.

Best regards,

germerv
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Ken and Kyle have not gotten that far with their lessons yet.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By coincidence, I just got my lesson about glissandi in the mail. Next week, I get the lesson that introduces me to songs with 3 flats. I think it's called E or Eb or something like that. Can't wait!

When you study with Jerry, he'll give different exercises to different students for different reasons. In many cases, they should be considered short term fixes for individual problems. But, you have to follow up with further lessons or phone calls in order to learn when to not overdue it. It's important for students to realize that these "fixes" should not be interpreted as universal rules to be applied by everyone. I've seen this get many people in trouble many times.

To me, it appears Germerv is getting a special fix for a personal need, so I'll leave that to Jerry. In more general terms, glissandi are a central part of "Trumpet Yoga". In that method, they are used for building the chops much more than the ears. In individual lessons, I've found that Jerry will often assign techniques from Yoga and SC as he thinks a student can use them.

Best regards, Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: