• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece progression

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
If you're having good results there's no reason to switch. It's interesting that you think a 3C feels too big for you, when in fact, the cup diameter of a 3C is almost identical to the cup diameter of a 7C and the 3C is much shallower. Overall a 3C has less cup volume and with its shallower, more V-shaped cup, for most players, is easier to play high notes on. I remember being a kid in fifth or sixth grade and being told that a 3C was a mouthpiece to move to when one was "strong enough to handle it". Ironically, the mouthpiece that came with my horn was a Reynolds 7A (copy of the extremely deep Bach 7A) - so moving to the relatively shallow 3C should have felt easier - yet I imagined it was harder (but better sounding, which in retrospect, is debatable). Like me back then, I think it's a state of mind making you think the 3C is harder to play high notes on.

https://s25.postimg.org/tcrl51l4f/Bach_3_C_red_vs_Bach_7_C_green.jpg
Bach 3C (red) vs Bach 7C (green)

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

There is a substantial difference in feel between the 7C and 3C. To me, the 7C feels pretty much like what it is - it feels deeper, but it also feels more narrow. Whether this is an actual measurement or rim contour thing is beside the point - I can use a 3C, but I can't really use the 7C, which is odd because I can use a Warburton 4SV, which is very similar in diameter to the 7C.

FWIW, I'm not totally sold on the mouthpiece comparitor - what it shows you are scans of two specific mouthpieces. I have 3Cs that play and feel differently, and I also have some 7Cs that play and feel differently - I'm not sure one can take a screen shot of a comparison of the two and get the real story.

Funny you mention the 4SV, I play one also. Warburton actually says it compares to a Bach 3E, and it's ID is 16.75 mm, wider than a 7C. I find the Warburton rim more comfortable, but I've been thinking about going a little deeper, maybe a 4M.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
Funny you mention the 4SV, I play one also. Warburton actually says it compares to a Bach 3E, and it's ID is 16.75 mm, wider than a 7C. I find the Warburton rim more comfortable, but I've been thinking about going a little deeper, maybe a 4M.

What I like about the Warburton, at least on my 4SVW, is the security I get due to the inner rim of that mouthpiece.

I went through a bit of an equipment swap out a few years ago. I had been playing a Schilke B6 with a 14A4, and neither one of those, at least not for me, was particularly conducive to good accuracy. If I was practicing a lot and really working on accuracy in the practice room, I was ok, but if I got busy with some other things in my life, I'd pay for it on the gig.

The first change I made was to the Warburton mouthpiece setup, which helped, but the big change that really locked it in was moving to a different horn - my Jupiter 1600i Ingram. That mouthpiece combined with that horn dramatically improved my performance on the gig.

Granted, there's definitely still a practice room element - I've got to be doing my part - but I absolutely feel that this setup makes it easier for me to do my gig.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
BobD wrote:
Quote:
What we do at our school is plonk a 1 1/2C mouthpiece in every trumpet.

Really? A 1-1/2C for a complete beginner? It's not too big?

Not at all. Compare it to a 7, 5, or 3C and they are all quite close. But, the rim shape is a lot more comfortable, not having the extreme slope on the outside of the rim as a 7C does.

cheers

Andy

I agree that the 1.5c is generally more comfortable than the 7C. And I agree that the measured diameters aren't that different. Still, I find the 1.5C a good deal more taxing than the Bach 3C and a host of smaller pieces. If I want a more comfortable rim in a variety of sizes I recommend any of the Yamaha pieces with the 4 rim.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense the 4SV would go well with the 1600i, I tried one once and it reminded me of the Carol 5000 I use, a lightweight, bright horn.

I find the 4SV less forgiving, though. I came to it after playing larger, deeper mouthpieces for years, muscling my way, getting tired, and wondering why I had a dark, sour sound. I found a chop teacher who quickly led me to a more efficient approach, and mouthpieces I used to find stuffy and tricky now made sense.

But whenever I backslide, either from laying off or overdoing it, I struggle with the smaller mouthpiece.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: