• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso Six Notes Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Caruso Six Notes Questions Reply with quote

I have been watching Julie Landsman's first video (Six Notes) and having just revisited the method after more than 30 years I wonder if those who currently teach the method could tell me if they recommend breathing through the mouth on the first inhale? Secondly she recommends to relax the embouchure between each note instead of maintaining the set? I would be grateful for any feedback.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing through the mouth for the first breath is fine.

Keep the setting as still as possible while breathing through the nose. Relaxing the muscles during nose breathing is OK. CC called this the "long setting" approach. With some students he would instruct that the muscles stay flexed during the nose breathing
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breathing through mouth corners is fine if you can do it without disturbing the setting. The purpose of the nose breath is to keep the lips in the same position in relation to one another and in relation to the mouthpiece during the rest and breath. In doing so, the first note after the breath is played with the same setting as the last note before the breath.

There is a difference between "relaxing the embouchure" and allowing the setting to shift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: