• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Memorization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Memorization Reply with quote

I am currently a Junior in High School, memorizing the first Movement of the Kennan Sonata for a scholarship audition at All States. So far, I have a good 40(ish) percent of it down, but really can't seem to memorize certain specific pieces (especially the slurred eigth notes in the theme). I know the piece well, but as I mentioned, cannot seem to fully memorize it for this other audition. I have a few weeks, which I presume this to be do-able in, but I really just need "Study Methods". Thank you for any input!

-Edward
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to know the piece so well, that you can sing it at pitch, in its entirety, in your head and aloud. This should've been done within the first week you were learning the piece. You need to listen to it every day and sing each part, especially those you don't have under your fingers and in your head yet. You need to do this many times.

Find recordings of players whose interpretations you enjoy. Make up your own vocalization techniques to vocalize the piece, as if you were playing it. Sometimes I used to make up lyrics for pieces, or imagine certain stories or scenarios playing out as I played the piece; as if the piece was playing during a movie in my head, giving the piece a thematic meaning and use.

Hope that helps!
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! At this point, I do know how the piece goes. It's just the fingerings that get me. I'll try your method of making words for specific sections. Perhaps I could apply that to specific fingerings and such.

-Edward
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to hum a piece that I'm memorizing and tap the fingerings on my arm, a table top, the steering wheel of the car, etc., to test my familiarity throughout the day. First I go through the whole piece in my head, then later I focus on the spots that I still struggle to remember.

Important tip: go back to the music every now and then to make sure you haven't memorized anything incorrectly so you'll have time to fix it (don't ask me how I know this ).
Piccolo Stomvi
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does sound like it would be great for pratice, as I can't always have my trumpet out; Just to get it in muscle memory at any time. Thanks!

-Edward
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was memorizing an etude last night (Charlier #16), I'll describe my process.

First, before trying to memorize something, I make sure I can play the darned thing musically from start to finish with the music in front of me. Be extremely careful that you haven't learned any wrong notes - it's much harder to unlearn a mistake than it is to learn it the right way the first time!! You should know the melody by ear well enough to sing it.

Next, I form a "mental map" of the tune. Here's mine from the Charlier #16:

1) G major section
2) G minor section
3) Ascending chromatic section
4) C major section
5) F Major section
6) Very tricky descending chromatic section
6a) Db Major
6b) C Major
6c) B Major
6d) A Major
7) G major, recap of 1), fancy ending

A neat and helpful trick is to start from the last phrase and memorize the tune in reverse. I love this for etudes.

So I'll start with section 7), placing the metronome extremely slow. I make sure I can sing the part. Then I play it on my horn, at a tempo that I absolutely cannot miss a note! Then I work it up, two notches at a time, until I'm playing it at performance tempo.

Now, section 6) is so darned tricky that I will memorize it two measures at a time, in reverse! When that's memorized, I connect it with section 7) until I can transition seamlessly.

At each stage, you MUST be able to sing it and MUST start so slowly you can't miss a note or articulation - this ensures you'll learn it correctly the first time. Unlearning is very difficult! Then work it up with the metronome two notches at a time until you're slightly faster than performance tempo.

With a technique like this, I memorized Charlier #16 in under an hour, so thoroughly I'll never forget it.

Good luck!
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think mapping out key signature would be effective in the Kennan? Accidentals are pretty spasmodic! I have heard the memorizing pieces backwards, which seems fairly effective. Is it bad to memorize random sections, and slowly piece the PIECE together? That's a bit of what I'm doing.

Thank you for your input! I'll attempt the mapping of sections the best I can!

-Edward
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward4 wrote:
Do you think mapping out key signature would be effective in the Kennan? Accidentals are pretty spasmodic! I have heard the memorizing pieces backwards, which seems fairly effective. Is it bad to memorize random sections, and slowly piece the PIECE together? That's a bit of what I'm doing.

Thank you for your input! I'll attempt the mapping of sections the best I can!

-Edward

I don't know the Kennan well, but I did take a listen. The road map by key signature may not work for all pieces! Still, you'll have to break it up into manageable sections to memorize it, so do whatever makes the most sense for you. Just my 2 cents!

It's also true that more "tone poem" pieces like the Kennan or Enesco Legend or Halsey Stevens are a little more difficult to section out, but you just have to identify phrase by phrase where you can make the breaks.

Hope that's helpful, good luck.
mhenrikse
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times a day do you practice the piece through?

If your problem is fingering in a certain part, then make sure you practice that part at a speed that you can play without hesitation. Repeat many times at that speed. I don't think memorization is any more than repetition but it has to be slow enough that your "batting average is almost 100%".
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can sing it in it's entirety, fingering should not be a problem. Playing what you sing should be second nature by now. In fact, listening to something you don't know a few times should result in being able to play it pretty close. Right?

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I like to hum a piece that I'm memorizing and tap the fingerings on my arm, a table top, the steering wheel of the car, etc.,

Turkle wrote:
Be extremely careful that you haven't learned any wrong notes - it's much harder to unlearn a mistake than it is to learn it the right way the first time!!

Very important. Go slowly so you can go fast.
Singing and fingering are just like playing. You don't want to ingrain into your muscle memory mistakes to which it will default.

I am a terrible memorizer. Form has helped me, personally, a great deal. That and constant repitition. A saying I seem to use often: Don't play it until you get it right. Play it until you can't get it wrong.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mhenrikse"]How many times a day do you practice the piece through?

If your problem is fingering in a certain part, then make sure you practice that part at a speed that you can play without hesitation. Repeat many times at that speed. I don't think memorization is any more than repetition but it has to be slow enough that your "batting average is almost 100%".[quote]

I practice as much as I can, but I'm in High School, so I don't have TOO much time, it also being the week before exams.

This makes sense though. Starting slower, and gradually working on fingerings until I can play at full speed.
Edward4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Richard III"]If you can sing it in it's entirety, fingering should not be a problem. Playing what you sing should be second nature by now. In fact, listening to something you don't know a few times should result in being able to play it pretty close. Right?[/quote]

Not necessarily. I'm having trouble memorizing fingerings, but I know the piece, and can sing through it fully.
aTrumpetdude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing along with a recording makes it much easier for me to memorize.
1969 Conn 8b Artist
1980 238 CL
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1qCev_sfof-Bfj5MAMLrQ
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't remember the fingering patterns , then you need to spend time in repetition of these until you don't have to remember them, but can do them without thinking them. Then you are playing the piece, not a bunch of fingerlings.

Bottom line, you need to spend more time working on the sections you have not yet memorised. If you do not get there, then it is no big deal to use music in your performance.

Cheers

Andy
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edward4 wrote:
Not necessarily. I'm having trouble memorizing fingerings, but I know the piece, and can sing through it fully.

Can you REALLY sing through it - in tune with no spots that sound iffy? Can you do this without a recording? Can you do the same on the mouthpiece? If it isn't 100% clear in your head, as demonstrated by accurate and in tune singing and mouthpiece playing, memorization will be a chore.

If your singing really is in tune, then the issue is between your imagination and the physical manifestation through the horn. You need more time thoughtfully and slowly practicing fundamentals and the vocabulary of the horn - scale/chord patterns, Clarke patterns, flow studies, and simple tunes.

Other tricks to solidify fingerings: slow, left-handed practice on offending passages; singing and fingering through; practicing hard licks backwards; playing passages on the piano; solfege while fingering the passage; saying/singing note names while fingering the passage; analyzing passages to identify the vocabulary used (what scales, arpeggios, etc.?); copying the problem passages by hand onto manuscript paper... use your imagination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: