• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Horns (Stuffy?) and Gr. Mpcs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I just have a few questions, and hopefully I can get some insight on them.

First, does anyone on here play yamaha horns, with a GR Mouthpiece? If you do, could you give me your thoughts and opinions.
(any yamaha horns, but especially the 8335RGS model?)

2nd, Playing the 8335rgs, I feel like the horn is a bit stuffy. To compare, I took out my old (1988) Bach tr300, and I felt the air move through the horn with ease!! Has anybody had any similar situations like this? If so, what's going on? Is it the mouthpiece, horn, me???? Some opinions really appreciated here, thanks. By the way, Im using the 16C4 mpc.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used GRs with a 6310Z and various 8335RGs. The 6310Z got tight when I tried to use the 66S with the tight #1 backbore with it. The 66MS was my standard with the Z. For "legit" I used my 66LX. Sounds like you would be a candidate for a 67MX or L. Talk with Brian Scriver to get the best "fit."

The 8335s are very sturdy horns with very secure slotting. I think this makes them a little harder to resonate than direct competition, like the Bach 180-37 and the Stomvi USA. With this in mind, a slightly more open mpc probably works better with the Xeno Yammys. That LX I was using is a very open mpc.

Dave
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the 65.6M works great with my 6335HII. When I've played the RGS horns they felt fairly similar for resistance to my horn(specifically, there's a fair bit of it). I like my setup quite a lot but you might I agree with Dave, you might want to try some larger MP's on your horn. BTW- the 16C4 is a decent mouthpiece but the GR's are amazing.
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick interjection, 90+% of the time it is not the horn that's stuffy, it's the player. Granted, you might want to try different equipment, but I bet there's some unneccessary tension built up somewhere in you that's causing the stuffiness. Just a quick thought.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-10 14:09, brad333 wrote:
BTW- the 16C4 is a decent mouthpiece but the GR's are amazing.

In fact, next to the GRs, the Yamahas are my favorite.

I think the Yamaha 14-players will like the 65/66 GRs and the 16-players will feel most comfortable on the 67.

Dave
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellow Trumpeters,
Simply put, the mouthpiece, horn, and player all must match. GR has many customers playing Yamaha trumpets. If your current situation is too tight, perhaps we can give you the same rim and cup, but move to a larger backbore. You have many options. Feel free to contact me or any of our dealers. Bri

Brian Scriver
http://www.grmouthpieces.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: