• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Switched back to 3C, how long will benefits last?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just switched back to a bach 3C from a Schilke 15/15a4a combo, and right away I noticed alot of benefits.

-My double/triple tonging is fine in the low-reg(the reason I went to the 15 was I felt the 3C had too much back-pressure)

-I got my range back (I can play "Hot Canary" again

-My tone is fine.

However, I've noticed a trend that, whenever I switch my primary mouthpiece, I get alot of benefits.....but they all seem to go away after a few days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mrblowtorch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously, the solution is... change MPs every few days, and you'll keep your range.
Seriously, if you can play "Hot Canary," at any time, with any mouthpiece, I'm not qualified to give you advice. Good luck.

-Mark
bigbrowncow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going for the zen approach:

If there is something wrong with you playing, then practice
If there is something wrong with your mouthpiece, then change it.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited coz bigbrowncow drunk too much beers on 2004-02-05 18:31 ]</font>

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrowncow on 2004-02-05 18:32 ]
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it's now a week later, and I feel like I'm playin like crap. Halfway throught the week everything was all good, but the past two days my playing has been very sloppy, my endurance down, and my seemingly refreshed high-school chops aren't there as strong, and am playing more sloppy overall.

I don't think any aspect of my playing has changed, so I'm trying to think of other factors that would rule out "all things being equal", but at this point I have a strong suspicion it may be mpc-related.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just practice man, you'll have down spells....very few don't. Keep your face on the horn and NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, forget where you came from in trumpet. Practice the fundamentals every day you pick up the horn, remember to create that fat meaty rich full thick tone and have that sparkle in it that just signs! Hot Canary is a cute circus trick, I've done it a few times to flirt with girls... lol lame as it is the flute players seem to dig it.

Just last night(tuesday), I went and read down the full Lead Trumpet book to "The Pajama Game" opening to ending with no rehearsal. Aside from the crazy mute changes, I had to do this cold. When I played today I sounded absolutely like Garbage. I even played some for Tal Katz, over the internet....which also sounded like Garbage. So I sat down started going back to the fundamentals. I did my long tones, scales, and played through songs my colleagues havent seen in 6 years, and all beacuse I had the desire to repair the damage I did to myself. Sure it's lovely to play all the hard stuff, but when you sound like crap on 'hot cross buns'...well, HERSETH, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

Get back to the easy stuff, the good stuff will follow. If you can find me a great runner that can run 10 minutes without an adequate stretch or warm up, I take back everything I said...infact I'll quit trumpet and take up sax or something.
da_roadrunner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote -
Get back to the easy stuff, the good stuff will follow. If you can find me a great runner that can run 10 minutes without an adequate stretch or warm up, I take back everything I said...infact I'll quit trumpet and take up sax or something.

well, have fun playing the sax. when i don't have scheduled practice, there are times when i just go straight in at 6 minute mile pace. no warm-up, no stretching. some kenyans also don't stretch/warmup, they just start running (k i'm lying a little bit on this, they start "slow" and then speed up to around 5 minute pace)

but for my trumpet, I do need to go through my normal warmup routine, especially because each morning, i'm so stiff anything above a g doesn't come out. to the original poster: long tones will help with your tone, and then just normal fundamentals.
back to jon: pajama game is a fun play, I had to play the lead book last semester. there was a "jazz" tune in there, I forgot the name... my most favorite part of the whole show
JonKratzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roadrunner,

The Jazz chart is "Steam Heat"

But knowing how trumpet players are, I couldn't be satisfied with what was on the page in the play. I added a lot of really high rippin' stuff, as irresponsible as it was, it was fun and the orchestra liked the variation from the otherwise humdrum run down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: