• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Purchasing an old Besson off Ebay?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raazait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Purchasing an old Besson off Ebay? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm a beginning trumpet player for about a year; I had just been renting a crappy old Jupiter horn from my high school that has valves that seem to be in a perpetual state of stiffness. I was looking around online on Ebay for some quality used horns. I came across two Besson horns; a 1000L for around $350 CAD, and a Besson 609 for only about $300 CAD. Does anyone have any experience with these horns? Should I consider a purchase? Or just buy an off-brand new horn? Thanks all.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be very, very careful... besides the plethora of fake Bessons out there, and the 1000 series is a bang average student instrument at the best of times.

Most Jupiters are perfectly serviceable student instruments and serve that purpose very well indeed - any horn that's in need of a service can present you with sluggish valves.

Last edited by TKSop on Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that money you could get a better offering, probably even land a great deal on some serviced vintage entry professional level horns too. Olds Specials, Olds Ambassadors ect
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the 609 will be a Kanstul made horn, and a pretty good entry level trumpet if has not been abused. It is common to see many of them with signs of bell damage - elementary and middle school band rooms are often not kind to brasswinds. $300 seems a bit high even with the conversion from Canadian to US. I paid $100 US for a 609 that needed to have a brace resoldered. After the simple repair, my son marched with it all through high school and now uses it for pep band in college. He's had no complaints. A 609 would likely have a lot less miles on it than a used Olds Ambassador or Special.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodude wrote:
I believe the 609 will be a Kanstul made horn, and a pretty good entry level trumpet if has not been abused. It is common to see many of them with signs of bell damage - elementary and middle school band rooms are often not kind to brasswinds. $300 seems a bit high even with the conversion from Canadian to US. I paid $100 US for a 609 that needed to have a brace re-soldered. After the simple repair, my son marched with it all through high school and now uses it for pep band in college. He's had no complaints. A 609 would likely have a lot less miles on it than a used Olds Ambassador or Special.
I also believe that the 609 will be a Kanstul horn. Especially if it says "Made in USA" on the bell.

The hard part is finding one without red-rot in the leadpipe. Ask me how I know.

But a good one is a good one - comparable to a CCT700. IMnsHO, a better horn than the Besson 1000

Gary.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the Jupiter just needs a good ol’fashion cleaning. How long have you been using it? When’s the last time the valves and casing been scrubbed out?
Can’t say I’ve come across a trumpet with slow/stiff valves that didn’t just need proper maintenance
Raazait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis78 wrote:
Maybe the Jupiter just needs a good ol’fashion cleaning. How long have you been using it? When’s the last time the valves and casing been scrubbed out?
Can’t say I’ve come across a trumpet with slow/stiff valves that didn’t just need proper maintenance

The valves certainly could be serviced, but the main problem isn't even that. Firstly, the entire bell flare is warped and bent; it came to me that way since I rented from my school. Secondly, the third valve slide is not even attached to the horn itself, it detaches entirely without any distance. I've also noticed some red rot along the second tuning slide. Although I could invest time in a thorough cleaning of the valves, the instrument itself is still not in an up to par condition. Thanks for your response.
Raazait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses! Here's the link to the horn in question. The seller seems to know what he's doing based on his description. I do notice some tarnish on the bell flare, but I highly doubt it'll affect playing quality; simply cosmetics I think.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Besson-609-USA-Trumpet-by-Kanstul-with-Case-and-MP-Refurbished-READY/112824705475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raazait wrote:
Thanks for all your responses! Here's the link to the horn in question. The seller seems to know what he's doing based on his description. I do notice some tarnish on the bell flare, but I highly doubt it'll affect playing quality; simply cosmetics I think.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Besson-609-USA-Trumpet-by-Kanstul-with-Case-and-MP-Refurbished-READY/112824705475?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
If I wanted a BE609, that is one I would consider. But I already have one, and do not want another.

I glanced at some of his other horns - to me they all seem to be accurately described and offered at reasonable prices. None are an extreme bargain, none are way over-priced.

Internet advice is usually worth less than one pays for it,
Gary.
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Canadian market must be pricier than the US. Completed listings on Ebay show 609s going in the range of $90-$200US.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: