• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who knoes the last serial number of Martin Commitee handcraf

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody knoes the last serial serial number of Martin Commitee Elkhart before it restarted by Holton/Leblanc.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am far from an expert, but you seem to have a mix of questions in there. The Martin Committee Handcraft was before the Martin Committee. It switched somewhere around 150,000 serial number. Then around 200,000, Martic was purchased by Wurlitzer. Then around 1970ish, Martin was purchased by Lablanc. I don't know the serial numbers at that time, although they seem to jump from about 21x,xxx to 70xxxx range.

I doubt anyone knows the exact serial number transition, especially since I have seen a few different Martin serial number lists that are close, but not the same.

Steve
stef
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thks for your answer.

When we are talking about Martin Committee trumpet played by Miles, Blue mitchel, Chet, etc, wich model it's?
and do you know some difference between this 2 model.

All best stef
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model played by Miles, etc. was the Committee post WWII model with the long spit valves. This model, or a variation, was produced from after WWII until the 60's or beyond. The Handcraft Committee was made in the thirties and probably early forties and the last serial number should be in 140000 range or thereabouts. It had standard style spit valves and was a different design and configuration although the bell flare was similar and it may have had a reverse tuning slide. I had one and can not remember. The engraving on the bell is completely different. It was two tone silver and brass. some had third valve slide threaded stop rod. They show up and are worth quite a bit, but never seem to bring the amounts that the 40's-60's version brings.
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most sought after version is the post WWII (approx 150,000) version until Wurlitzer purchased them (approx 200,000). Physically, the Wurlitzer model looks the same with all the same features. I have never owned one (I own four of the 150,000 to 200,000 versions), but they are said to be of lower quality during that period. The version played by the jazz greats could be either the post WWII horns and/or the Wurlitzer version.

Steve
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had large bore Martin in the 704XXX range. It's been sold on Ebay. Depending on buyers approv al.
(I can't remember the whole serial number. number). It is an Elkhart, In trumpet.

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2004-02-12 18:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2004-02-12 18:38 ]
wardsd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen three 7xx,xxx Committee deluxe models sell on Ebay the last month. the first wasn't advertised well and sold for in the $650 range. The second was Adieste. it sold in the $1300's. the third one sold in the $1000's. in comparison, a Sub 200,000 serial number would have sold for $2000 9I have seen two of these in the last several months).

Steve
Tim80
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have got to say that the tone on the 64 Committee I have was very mellow and smooth. But it can sit up and bark too. This will be one I regret selling.

[ This Message was edited by: Tim80 on 2004-02-12 19:31 ]
36Olds

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, a deluxe, serial # 207,xxx. Does this mean it is worth less because it is over 200,000?
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: