• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1st valve trigger or hook

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddle on the first slide, in such a position where I can get my thumb comfortably on the first valve casing. First thing I did to my Schilke years ago was rotate the 1st saddle to the right to get it out of the way.

Ring on the third slide - fixed or movable, doesn't matter.

-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although all but one of my horns have a saddle or ring on the first slide I have found that when I play with a firm grip (no fingers below the 3rd slide) I have a hard time moving the saddle or ring and prefer the the ease of the trigger but not the added weight. With a split grip the saddle or ring are easy for me to use. Unfortunately I prefer to play with the firm grip so I get by but not as comfortably as I would like.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:
I know that we have all discussed this before, but I really can't see anything wrong with the placement of the Bach 184ML trigger for the left thumb. Although admittedly over towards the right, the trigger leaver seems angled to be used by the left thumb. I don't know. Maybe it is because I had only been playing for a year when I bought the Bach 184ML and it was my primary horn for thee next eighteen years, that it became the norm. I now play a Yamaha Xeno cornet, and the trigger placement seems worse to me, although still perfectly useable.

I'm sure we have discussed this before.

Frankly, I think it boils down to the fact I don't like triggers. You're probably right, that the placement is fine and the stiff spring is probably Ok for some, I just don't like it.

Another major factor is that I had been playing trumpets and cornets with saddles and rings for 20+ years before I had a horn that used a trigger. I'm used to very smooth and very light action of sliding the first slide with a gentle, almost negligent flick of my thumb and now I have to muscle this stiff spring (in the opposite direction) and I don't like it - and I'll never like it. It's more awkward for me and having to press that hard with the thumb throws off my mostly tension-less and relaxed grip (which is good for moving rings and saddles). The placement isn't bad, but it's just angled slightly enough to the right that the grip is awkward for me - especially combined with using the ring on the 3rd slide. The 184 I used previously had a saddle added instead of a trigger and I FAR prefer that setup after dealing with this one for the last 6 or so years. I could probably tweak it to be more to my liking but the tweak I'd enjoy the most is ditching it and getting a saddle, so I'll just do that someday. Life is too short to deal with annoyances and irritations that are easily fixed and offer little or no improvement.

I guess it's all me.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:
I know that we have all discussed this before, but I really can't see anything wrong with the placement of the Bach 184ML trigger for the left thumb. Although admittedly over towards the right, the trigger leaver seems angled to be used by the left thumb. I don't know. Maybe it is because I had only been playing for a year when I bought the Bach 184ML and it was my primary horn for thee next eighteen years, that it became the norm. I now play a Yamaha Xeno cornet, and the trigger placement seems worse to me, although still perfectly useable.

I'm sure we have discussed this before.

Frankly, I think it boils down to the fact I don't like triggers. You're probably right, that the placement is fine and the stiff spring is probably Ok for some, I just don't like it.

Hi Crazy Finn

Fair enough.

Another major factor is that I had been playing trumpets and cornets with saddles and rings for 20+ years before I had a horn that used a trigger.

This is probably the crux of this issue. I'd only been playing a year when I bought my Bach 184ML and it was primary horn for 18 years, and became the norm.

I'm used to very smooth and very light action of sliding the first slide with a gentle, almost negligent flick of my thumb and now I have to muscle this stiff spring (in the opposite direction) and I don't like it - and I'll never like it. It's more awkward for me and having to press that hard with the thumb throws off my mostly tension-less and relaxed grip (which is good for moving rings and saddles).

I fully understand.

The placement isn't bad, but it's just angled slightly enough to the right that the grip is awkward for me - especially combined with using the ring on the 3rd slide.

Fair enough.

The 184 I used previously had a saddle added instead of a trigger and I FAR prefer that setup after dealing with this one for the last 6 or so years. I could probably tweak it to be more to my liking but the tweak I'd enjoy the most is ditching it and getting a saddle, so I'll just do that someday. Life is too short to deal with annoyances and irritations that are easily fixed and offer little or no improvement.

I fully agree.

I guess it's all me.

We all have our preferences. Personally I prefer the old system with the slightly longer slides and no intonation aids on the 1st and 3rd, as having tiny hands and disproportionately small and short thumbs, I'm not very good at operating them anyhow.

I can't reach a 3rd trigger, using a third slide fixed ring entails taking my left hand off the valve block, so in practice I use only the 1st and only when absolutely necessary. I have no real preference for either a saddle or a ring, my use of the saddle definitely not being the very gentle flick of the thumb that you describe, and my use of the trigger is not much better.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting enough topic. I think a prior poster wrote that if you like the way the horn plays and the sound you obtain the sort of hardware serving the first valve slide may not matter much. The angled 1st valve slide saddle on my Getzen 900 Eterna Classic seems to fit me near perfectly and use is intuitive, just as it should be. The trigger on my old LeBlanc 707 Sonic seems well designed and is never a distraction either. Horn maintenance is another matter, though. My horns with the 1st valve slide saddle are easier to clean and less liable to damage from tool use during the process.

Jim
dimkr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With small hands, you don't have much choice. It's hard to apply an exact amount of force on a trigger (to achieve the desired extension of the slide), with a sore thumb. Moreover, when I play flugel, I have no choice but to use the weak left pinkie to push the trigger. Also, anything that adds width to the valve block is a problem.

Therefore, my preference is:
1) Nothing
2) Fixed ring without sharp edges, placed close to the valve block
3) Adjustable ring without sharp edges, which can be brought close
4) Trigger

ScottA wrote:
Unfortunately I prefer to play with the firm grip so I get by but not as comfortably as I would like.

I share that tendency, but I also have small hands. My first horn was a Yamaha 1335, which had nothing on the slides. Although I didn't know that at this young age, I have rare absolute pitch and that's why I was the only student without any intonation problems. I remember I found the 1335 very comfortable and it was a big disappointment when I got my first pro horn, a Bach.

Intonation was worse while slotting way better, so I had no choice but to use the slides. However, the ring was a bit too far and the kinda crude design of the old Bach saddle added extra width to the valve block, so I had to stretch my left palm to grip the horn tightly. This resulted in pain after several hours of playing, so I moved the left hand pinkie below the slide to make life easier for my pained thumb. That's how I grip the horn since then. In addition, the horn was heavy and the finger hook's open shape added some strain on my right pinkie's joint.

Later, as an adult, I switched to a Yamaha (which felt light and narrow - both the valve block and the rounder saddle) and I found it OKish with ProTec's Finger Saver. I also used my trusty old Bach in some rare cases. Afterwards, when I wanted more power and brightness, I switched to a Carol Brass (which had a comfortable, fixed ring but an awful saddle).

Very recently, I switched to my first L bore horn, a Kanstul 1603. It has an adjustable ring (on the side, like a Martin Committee) with a short rod and no saddle (which is awesome for me). In the first days with this horn, I faced the same problems I had with the Bach, but it's very easy to bend notes, so I removed the ring. I put three fingers above the slide and the pinkie below it. This brings back many good Yamaha 1335 memories. Intonation is perfect, except high A with the third valve which I hardly use.

Kanstul 1603
Carol Brass 3200H
Bach 3B or Yamaha 17B4

Carol Brass CFL-6200-GSS-SLB
Blessing 3FL or Bach 1.5CFL

"When you decide to be something, you can be it" (Frank Costello, in The Departed, 2006)
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious question here. Why a first valve adjustment at all. Older horns just had a third valve system. Gripping with the thumb and pushing something away from the valve block means releasing the grip. Do people use the first and third at the same time? That's even worse. I play an old Conn with just the adjustable third slide ring. Low D is fine with nothing and C# just a little kick out and it's all good.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I said "contrary" motion.

In order to use 1st and 3rd valve slides when you have a trigger in the 1st valve slide, you have to both open and close your hand at the same time.

Right?

I mean try opening your four fingers, while pushing your thumb forward...my hand doesn't want to do it

I can with open my hand with all digits, or close it. Not both.

Need more hand skills perhaps. Better call Carlos Danger for some tips.
eviln3d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of wonder if in the end it comes down to which mechanism you started out with. I don't really buy into the theory that having a lighter weight mechanism vs a heavier one will have much if any impact on the sound of the horn... But I do suspect that if you started with a saddle then a trigger would just feel odd and vice versa... My first horn had a trigger and to me it seem natural to squeeze my left thumb.. I've tried horns with a saddles and they just don't feel right because they are different from what I got used to. In the end it comes down to personal preference. though frankly I've never understood the need for anything on the first valve as you can easily just use your lips to flatten the notes a bit.
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a trigger like the original King Silver Flair 1055T. It is an ingenious design that allows fast removal of the slide with no screws to mess with.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eviln3d wrote:
I kind of wonder if in the end it comes down to which mechanism you started out with... ...In the end it comes down to personal preference.

My very first trumpet was an Olds Mendez, Los Angeles horn with 2 Triggers that my Dad got for me from a Pawn Shop in the late '50s. I didn't know anything else and actually thought it was kinda cool since everyone else had basic Student horns. Hurricane Betsy took that horn away the day after my 14th Birthday in 1965. I still miss that horn immensely.

Every horn I've had since then has had a Saddle or Ring on the 1st Valve Slide and a fixed Ring on the 3rd. I guess I always thought that I might like another horn with triggers, but it was never a necessary aspect if I liked the way my new horns sounded and responded otherwise. I finally got around to adding a 3rd slide trigger to my Flugelhorn about a year ago and found that required a bit of a learning curve since I had played without it from the beginning of my experience with that horn. The added ease of quick intonation fix has been well worth the retraining though! I played a friend's LA Mendez during a rehearsal last year and felt right at home. So either way works for me.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not likes the triggers I've used. I think I just favor being able to grip the valve casings without having to extend my thumb.

FWIW I use my first slide about as much as I use my third.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading all the posts again, I think the OP’s issue is more a misunderstanding of how these mechanisms are used.

I personally, ymmv, only use the first trigger on notes that do not include the third valve. Thus I never use both the first and third mechanisms at the same time, whether triggers or saddles.

And as I stated earlier, I use the right hand thumb on the first valve trigger. I have no issue playing one handed as mentioned by Lou. There is plenty of room between the trigger and the mouthpiece to put my thumb under the leadpipe.

edit: I have a weaker spring installed on the trigger. The original spring broke and the stock replacement spring was wwwaaayyyy too stiff.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_zigzagger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plankowner110 wrote:
I prefer a trigger like the original King Silver Flair 1055T. It is an ingenious design that allows fast removal of the slide with no screws to mess with.

Agreed. The pre-UMI Silver Flair trigger is the pinnacle of thumb trigger design. It's flawless and without peer. It doesn't get any better.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: 1st valve trigger or hook Reply with quote

I played a Conn 36b for ten years with a trigger and it was just fine. Mechanically, I would say it worked as well when I traded the horn as when I got it. All since have been a hook and I like them just as well. It is all a matter of adaptation. I bought a Benge with a hook and it took about two days to forget the trigger. I have played earlier Bachs with a trigger and they were fine too. To me it is a matter of adaptability. I don't think trumpet players are the most flexible sometimes. It isn't a criticism, just an observation of others and myself, too! I would never be a make or break point on my buying a used horn to have.
alaskanaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: saddle vs. trigger Reply with quote

I think it all comes down to what feels comfortable. I've only owned horns with a saddle for the first valve, until recently. I have a cornet with a trigger, and while I can see why people would like it, it is taking a little getting used to. It's odd that I stopped using the third valve slide as much on that horn. Which I guess is fine. Really, it comes down to what helps you keep your horn in tune, and how the mechanism works for you. I don't mind the trigger, if it functions well, but I don't think I would specifically order one on a new horn. That's just me. I know players with the opposite view too.
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had horns with triggers on both the 1st and 3td. Olds recording, even a Kanstul 1601 made on custom order with both triggers. They are cool, useful and i like them a lot for addressing pitch issues, but in my experience they "dampen" the horn resonance and the sound is a bit "dull" with triggers.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a more complex mechanism on triggers. So if it goes wrong or a screw comes out or something like that it could be a RPINTA to get fixed

Saddles can come unsoldered if the joint was not made well, but otherwise no mechanism, as such, to go wrong
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablopiccasso wrote:
There is a more complex mechanism on triggers. So if it goes wrong or a screw comes out or something like that it could be a RPINTA to get fixed

Saddles can come unsoldered if the joint was not made well, but otherwise no mechanism, as such, to go wrong

True they are more complicated then a saddle, but not really that much different than a traditional spit valve.

That said, in my nearly fifty years of playing my Bachs with triggers I have never had an issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: