• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn slotting?? What horns/MP's slot easily

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldchops56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Horn slotting?? What horns/MP's slot easily Reply with quote

OK, not sure where to post this but I'm new here and this has probably been discussed a million times and I've google searched but still need to ask this question. I have an old Bach 37 Strad ML bore I got in high school back in '71. I haven't played it for many years and now that I'm retired, I've decided to bring some pain and heartache back into my life and pick it up again, LOL! I remember trading horns with another guy (back in high school), that had a Benge 3X, might have been a 3X+
I remember thinking that the Benge was much freer blowing and noticeably easier to lip slur between say c to e on the staff and e to g, (and similar lip slurs). It took less work to do these slurs in particular. I was using a 3C MP on both horns. It did seem as if the notes were a bit better centered on the Bach than the Benge but the slurs came much easier on the Benge.
What is it about the design of a horn that allows it to execute these types of lip slurs with less effort. Is there certain design characteristics of a MP that allows these types of lip slurs to come easier? I think the Benge had a similar bore to my ML Bach as the kids Dad was the band teacher and I'm sure he wouldn;t buy the kid a large bore horn at that age.
I'm certainly not looking at buying different equipment at this stage of my ""comeback" as I'm aware I need to build skills with my current horn but, I am curious as to what it is about a horn/MP that would allow these lip slurs with less effort.
Thanks all.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Horn slotting Reply with quote

Hello,
I think that it is fair to say you have a good memory. Bachs tend to have tighter slots and the Benges as I remember, are looser like you stated. I really liked the CG horns of the time, with the 3X+ running a not so close second. Whatever the voodoo, different makes have different characteristics. Rather than doing the horn safari, check the gap of your mouthpiece to venturi and have a valve alignment done on your horn. From that point, if you want to experiment further, switch to a rounded tuning slide or a whole new leadpipe/slide combination. There, you have a new horn...Any of those mods should give you a little more flexibility of feel.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question!

I have learned that there are a few things that make a difference like this.

The first thing is what is called the mouthpiece gap, which is the space between the end of the mouthpiece in its receiver and the lead pipe. This chamber, as it were, affects the acoustics of the instrument. Generally, a long gap locks the horn into each note and a shorter gap eases that and makes the horn more responsive, less stable.

Next, is the weight of materials used. Heavier materials often (but not always) make the instrument slot more positively. Lighter horns usually are more maneuverable.

Third, would be how and where the horn is braced. This is likely the most influential in designing how the horn slots. I've played two models built by Orlando that only differed by a 1/4" difference in the placement of the brace between the bell bow and mouthpiece receiver. one felt easy and loose, the other rigid.

Lastly, the clearances between piston and valve casing, inner and outer slide tubes. The looser the fit, the looser the slots.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the mouthpiece, a narrower rim improves flexibility. Despite this I am a believer that you should use the rim most comfortable to you despite the shape and depth.
oldchops56

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I googled and read some on the MP gap and the valve alignment that is quite interesting. Certainly wasn't aware of this back in the mid 70's. Thanks guys.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldchops56 wrote:
I googled and read some on the MP gap and the valve alignment that is quite interesting. Certainly wasn't aware of this back in the mid 70's. Thanks guys.

Back in the 70's all you needed was to do a quick Google search and there was the info.

Yeah, if one wasn't in one of the big music areas there wasn't much information other than ads in magazines.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: