• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Braces for professional players

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oswaldotrompeta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Braces for professional players Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I have seen/read many cases of high school students, or trumpet aficionados, with braces, but I am wondering if any of you know of any adult, PROFESSIONAL (who makes a living by performing) trumpet player that has had braces while still performing successfully?

I am asking because I am considering orthodontic treatment for my overcrowded teeth. I believe that I could perform better if my teeth were straight. Invisalign is not an option for me, according to my initial orthodontic consultation. My plan would be to try the braces for one month to see if I can still do my job (teach and perform, mostly classical) before committing to an extended treatment plan (including extractions).

I am also following Dr. Jordi Albert, who is conducting research on this topic, but I would love to hear some testimonials.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough one... The adjustment to braces, while it can certainly be done with success, takes time. My worry would be that the one month you give yourself to try them out wouldn't be long enough to fully adjust, and you might end up spending a lot of money and going through a lot of hassle before you're sure if you can make the adjustment. I know for me it took longer than a month, just for the inside of my lips to toughen up and get used to them - that's before trying to adjust my technique or anything.

I see you're a professor, and I'm not sure what your performing load is, but would you be able to give yourself more time to try them out, like 2 or 3 months? Maybe if you timed it over summer break or something? I think it would also be worth it to get a 2nd opinion from another orthodontist about Invisalign (or something like it), because that seems like it would be the least invasive to your playing as you could take them out before you play...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had braces during my freshman and sophomore years of high school and I went from having a solid high C, to a painful middle C or an excruciating G on top of the staff (or round-abouts) for my top notes. Also, standard braces with the wire in front of the teeth tends to anchor the lips so they can't move about as they need to when ascending and descending in register.

So in short, I don't see how one could play at a professional level while wearing braces (at least not the conventional type with the hardware in front of the teeth).

But that said, perhaps it would be worth a year or two of not being able to play at a professional level if the trade is for a lifetime of improved playing. That's your decision to make (and I'm glad it's not mine!).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to get your hopes up, but are you SURE Invisalign are not possible for you? Perhaps seeking a second opinion is warranted. As I am not an orthodontist, I won't comment further on that.

But I do know a tuba and horn player who both had traditional orthodontic braces and were employed in a tenured position with an orchestra and kept their playing up. So anything is possible, but you will need to be the one who does that hard work!

cheers

Andy
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try asking a trumpet-playing dentist. For example, Ted Melchers is a dentist in the Charleston, SC area. He is a decent trumpet player, personable and very knowledgable about such things - you may want to consider reaching out to him.

Personally, I had my front teeth "built up" at one point to make them look straight. Adding the slightest bit of composite to the tooth dropped my range by about a fifth. I panicked and had them remove it - my range immediately came back. It was definitely an insight into what happens when you put something on the front of your teeth!

That said, if you know you can put up with two years of not having that part of the range, you will most likely be able to play "ok" and may just come out golden on the other end. But the operative word is "may". This is where you should get advice from someone who knows about orthodontics as well as what it takes to play the trumpet. Just a guess, but there's probably a lot of similarities between orthodontics and embouchure changes.

I know you are asking for names of people who can successfully play during (or after) getting braces, but I think everyone is different. You should definitely get professional opinions before undertaking it yourself.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really tough one. I had four adult and four wisdom teeth extracted in my teens and my mouth is about right now. If you have a similar set-up I can't imagine that braces will be effective without the extractions.

I think your experience could be really valuable, since this seems to be a perennial question (how to deal with getting braces on or off) on this and other trumpet forums. It may also be that you could do some formal research out of it. You could easily become the definitive pro expert on this question!

I know some people have used Yamaha's digital trumpet if they have major mouth issues--it's possible it would at least allow you to continue teaching.

Good luck!
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a tooth cutting you, straight teeth will not help you play better.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a really good set of impressions of your existing teeth before doing anything.

I do agree that finding an orthodontist who understands brass players, or better yet, is a brass player would be infinitely preferable.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Unless you have a tooth cutting you, straight teeth will not help you play better.

I would agree with the above if the word "probably" was in there right before "not". That said, what Billy wrote got me thinking and wondering why I was not more cautionary in my first post here.

If your teeth are extremely crooked, it might help. Personally, while I'm sure glad I had my braces (prior to them my horn was pointed downward so much I looked like I was playing clarinet), I don't know that it made me a better player in the long run, and at the time I had those braces I had not yet made the decision to become a professional player. And though I was a pretty good player for my age, I was just a high school trumpet player.

As an adult pro player, unless I was having a cutting issue that I couldn't overcome any other way, I don't think I'd get braces and change everything - and it will change everything. You'd basically be starting over when it comes to the feel of it - and it might be harder the second time around because you wouldn't just be learning, you'd have to be unlearning very ingrained coordination habits.

Maybe if you got the invisiline type, the slow rate of change would allow you to sort of keep up with it. But if you get the kind that go in front of your teeth, the day those come off, you will feel like you are trying to play your trumpet with somebody's else's mouth (that was my experience).

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<If your teeth are extremely crooked, it might help.>

What are you basing this on?
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Giangulio used a retainer for a few years while playing in the Dallas Symphony. One of his bottom front teeth began to rotate forward and he started to lose the "foundation" he'd always felt when he played. The retainer gradually pushed it back in place. This was in the early 1980s. He wrote about it in the ITG journal many years ago. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Best,
Matt
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl Sievers DMA dissertation.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole experience could end up making your playing worse. You can't predict the outcome. Is it a fact that players with straight teeth play better than those with crooked teeth? Unless there is a medical reason to have braces, I would give it a lot of serious thought. After all, you learned how to play with the set of teeth that you have. Why do you think that changing your teeth will help you?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
<If your teeth are extremely crooked, it might help.>

What are you basing this on?

Extremely crooked teeth don't provided a good support for an embouchure, often leading to problems with cutting and bruising, and in the case of a severe overbite, cause the horn to point radically downward. In my experience, players with extremely crooked teeth struggle more to progress. Note that I wrote it "might" help.

If you really want to argue that correcting extremely crooked teeth can never help, well, good luck with that.

To make sure there is no confusion, I am not suggesting to the OP that it is a good idea to get his teeth straightened at this point in his career. I wouldn't unless there was an issue with cutting or bruising caused by the crooked teeth.
oswaldotrompeta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much everyone for the replies/info! I already got some players and dentists names to continue this research.

The reason why I think I MIGHT end up improving my playing is because of the shape and size of the oral cavity. I believe that can affect the sound and tonguing. My biggest concern is, of course, related to the front teeth and lips area. I believe that sound, flexibility, range, and endurance can be affected here.

Let me explain why I am CONSIDERING to get the treatment: I suffer gum recession that, according to a periodontal doctor consultation, is caused or affected for the severe crowded teeth. I was told that I should get extractions and wear braces to fix my teeth and stop the recession of the gums. That was about 20 year ago. I opted for not getting extraction or braces, and got instead removable retainers to, at least, stop the crowed teeth to get worse. I have somewhat controled the gum recession trying to have very good dental hygiene, but (even when) the crowded teeth make this difficult.

Now, I feel a little encouragement from my friend, Dr. Jordi Albert, who is doing a research on the topic (check it out in YouTube). Dr. Albert has been wearing braces for several months now, and is able to play and do his job well. Furthermore, I got a little worried as a relatives jaw cracked recently because of the crowded teeth. To be honest, that terrifies me!

I already got an appointment with a different orthodontist to make sure Invisalign (which was my first choice) is not an option, and to see if we could avoid the extractions. The plan would be to start at the very beginning of my summer break. I would not pretend to be able to perform as before in a month, but I believe that first month would be enough to foresee if I will be able to manage it or not. Otherwise, I would just take them off after that month. If that is my decision, they are ok with me to stop the payments at that point.

Either way, I am researching as much as possible before making a decision. I appreciate all the feedback from all of you!

Oz
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known a few people who were able to avoid the traditional extractions by using devices to spread the teeth and make room for the teeth to be straightened.

Sounds like your motivation is sound with regard to the receding gums. Though I wouldn't think it would result in an appreciable difference in the oral cavity.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oswaldotrompeta wrote:
Let me explain why I am CONSIDERING to get the treatment: I suffer gum recession that, according to a periodontal doctor consultation, is caused or affected for the severe crowded teeth. I was told that I should get extractions and wear braces to fix my teeth and stop the recession of the gums. That was about 20 year ago. I opted for not getting extraction or braces, and got instead removable retainers to, at least, stop the crowed teeth to get worse. I have somewhat controled the gum recession trying to have very good dental hygiene, but (even when) the crowded teeth make this difficult.

I already got an appointment with a different orthodontist to make sure Invisalign (which was my first choice) is not an option, and to see if we could avoid the extractions. The plan would be to start at the very beginning of my summer break. I would not pretend to be able to perform as before in a month, but I believe that first month would be enough to foresee if I will be able to manage it or not. Otherwise, I would just take them off after that month. If that is my decision, they are ok with me to stop the payments at that point.

Either way, I am researching as much as possible before making a decision. I appreciate all the feedback from all of you!

Oz

It's been a while but I thought I'd share that I'm 6 months post top-front tooth extraction and Invisaligns. My periodontist seems like quite the hotshot even boasting some cutting edge receded gum treatments.
https://ocperioandimplants.com/chao-pinhole-surgical-technique-receding-gums/

Even though I have significantly crowded/overlapping bottom teeth, my orthodontist has me on an aggressive Invisalign plan, one where I get new trays every week versus the typical new tray every two weeks.

The periodontist just cleared me to resume playing. It took this long due to significant bone and tissue grafting. This morning for the first time I gave playing a shot while wearing my Invisaligns and the results were reasonably encouraging.

Here's hoping you've had, or will have as much luck.

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
oswaldotrompeta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your story.

My update on this:

I got a gum graft, and started Invisalign treatment. I change trays every 5 days, and it’s going very well. I also had 4 molars extracted since my case is so severe, and my plan includes 88 trays. That is a long time! However, I can play normally! I lost about a third of my range, but slowly got it back during the first month. Another small hassle has been that I have to file the trays in specific places, so it is comfortable for the embouchure and tongue. But I know exactly how/where to file the trays and it’s really not a big deal.
I am not saying this to encourage anyone to get Invisalign, but it has been not a problem for me to play with the trays. I have been playing recitals (classical) and concerts as a principal trumpet of the local symphony orchestra with no problems.

I am considering writing an article about Invisalign for trumpet players for the ITG. I think this is a topic that can be of interest for many players, professors and students. What do you think?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it has gone much better than anticipated! I think it would be great to write it up and publish it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: