• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

leadtrumpet playing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetholland

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a trumpetplayer from Holland who studies leadtrumpet in Amsterdam. In june 2004 I have to write my final exam. As there is not that many literature available about leadtrumpetplaying, I wondered if somebody can recommend me any websites or books with information about how to play leadtrumpet, or with information about certain leadtrumpetplayers (Conrad Gozzo, Snooky Young, Al Porcino, Earl Gardner...etc.). I'm also interested in transcriptions from first trumpet charts. If anyone knows something please let me know.

Herwin Lokken

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetholland on 2003-12-08 06:30 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TH! You'll find some good info on lead playing on this Website: http://www.indyjazz.org/education.htm

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy Maxwell's The First Trumpeter is a good look at the demands (not just the playing demands) of lead players.

HTH - Don
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herwin,

Welcome to the Herald! Since you are in Amsterdam, you should look up Loet van der Lee. I just met him a couple of weeks ago here in the US (in Atlanta, GA). He was a guest clinician/performer at a brass festival here, and he performed with the brass band that I play in. Wonderful improv player with great lead chops (studied with Bobby Shew). He has done a little of everything, and he would be a great resource for you as you write your paper. Here is his bio:

http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Eloet/Ebiografie.html

Good Luck,

Paul Poovey
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don's suggestion about Jimmy Maxwell's book is a good one. You can get a copy for $20 plus shipping at Hickeys at http://www.hickeys.com/cgi/search.cgi

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I have got a superb article about Lead Playing, I will dig it out, type it up and post it, if I can find it this weekend!
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion would be Dominic Spera's book, "Take the Lead". It's available from the Jamey Aebersold catalog. It's an inexpensive book that has lots of good pointers and covers stylistic, musical, and physical aspects.

Also, in the "Trumpet Masterclasses" book published by Windplayer, Charlie Davis has some good observations about the physical side of lead playing.

Bob
trumpetholland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm also interested in, are your own experiences in leadtrumpetplaying. It isn't allways that easy to play first trumpet. There are so many things that can make your job difficult. What do you guys think is important to do? When is somebody a good leadtrumpetplayer? Or something else, how is it playing lead in bigbands in the States, are there a lot of good bands, many chances to play lead. Are there a lot of good leadtrumpetplayers? Please let me know?

trumpetholland

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetholland on 2003-12-11 08:15 ]
Zaphod
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No answer to your question, but contact and maybe take a lesson with Andreas Haderer, professor at the "Hochschule fr Musik" in Cologne (and probably the best lead trumpet in Germany), if you haven't already done so.
One cannot expect to attain the highest point of exellence without hard work and perseverance.[...] Try to improve to some extent each day and to experience that satisfying pleasure in having conquered what at first seemed to be an impossibility! - Clarke
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Spera book. It's nothing profound, but it does have good info.

When I was at the I.U. summer music camp in '83 at the age of 16, Spera gave a little lecture to one of the big bands. It went something like this (paraphrased):

"Many young trumpet players feel that high notes are the most important thing about lead trumpet playing, and they couldn't be more wrong. Many other musicians also rate lead players based on how how high they can play, which is wrong, and other people tend to write off lead players as high-note neatherthals. Wrong again.

A lead player must master reading, intonation, many different styles, and many other skills etc, etc. It just so happens that a strong high register is also part of the job requirement. Great lead trumpet players are not animals, they are usually very brilliant people."
trumpetholland

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advises, I was at the IAJE conference last weekend. I bought the books from Jimmy Maxwell and Dominic Spera. I will check them, looks allright allready. If anybody has some more tips or suggestions I will be interested. Thanks allready, Regards

Trumpetholland
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening is the most important teacher. Snooky Young, Dave Stahl, Al Porcino, Manny Klein, Johnny Audino, Conrad Gozo, Earl Gardener, Charly Davis, Jerry Hey. This should be a good start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: