• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Anyone who doesn't like Doc's playing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Anyone who doesn't like Doc's playing? Reply with quote

I was hooked from the first time I heard Doc. The first thing I heard him play where I knew it was him was "If I Had A Hammer" on tape on a mono tape player.

Curious if there's anyone who actually doesn't like Doc's playing - to clarify I'm referring to Doc in his heyday. Not looking to debate, I'm just curious to compare notes so to speak. If you don't can you articulate why?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, come on.
That's like saying who doesn't like happiness.
Not many takers here.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, some people may not like the style of the music, but no one can fairly criticise the skill his playing of it IMO. For the kind of music he plays/played, he does/did it as well as anyone could possibly hope to.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what wrote:
Oh, come on.
That's like saying who doesn't like happiness.

~shrug~ When I was in high school I knew a guy who was a middle school band director - he played sax, we both played in a local dance band. He heard me going on about Doc one day, he sort of dismissed him as being "too mechanical". I think Dizzy was more his cup of tea.

Though I didn't say it I thought he had his head up his rear then and the subsequent years and familiarity with Doc's playing have only reinforced that conviction.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started learning improvisation 50 years ago it was Doc's records I played along with. He was a big influence on me especially in terms of the sound he produces.

I never heard him in person until a couple of years ago and what particularly struck me is how much his styling in live concert resembles Harry James and Louis Armstrong. I never got that impression listening to his records or watching him on the Tonight Show but hearing him live these influences were very obvious.

Doc is unbelievable, one of the best players ever.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Doc's influence Reply with quote

My high school years were in a small town in Wisconsin and marching was the big deal in the mid-west. My band director was a cornet player and really couldn't understand why I wanted to play the trumpet professionally. Believe it or not he actually said to me, "why do you want to go do-wacka-do all night long?" Well admittedly I was a bit cocky and brought in Doc's recording of "Granada" from one of those great Command recordings current at the time. To his credit he listened carefully and said he wasn't aware of anyone playing like that and conceded I may have turned him onto something, not that he ever again listened to players like Doc. I don't think he even knew who Rafael Mendez was either. Ultimately he kicked me out of band because I had joined the AF of M and refused to play a free dance for a military school with the high school dance band I led. My "punishment" was not marching in the big Memorial Day parade with the band. Let's see, wool uniforms and high humidity plus 90 degrees that day and I had to miss that. It was kind of satisfying to roll by the high school band on a flat bed playing with a German band that had hired me.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: