• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Cornet 1914

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DruMcC1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine recently found a Holton Cornet in his closet that belonged to his grandfather. Since he has no knowledge of trumpets/cornets whatsoever, I started trying to find stuff out about it. The serial number is 24xxx, which dates it at 1914.

My question is if anyone has any information about the horn itself, the possible price(it seems to be in decent shape, but would need an overhaul), or how I might be able to find such information?
Thanks,
Dru
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1917 Holton Clarke long cornet that I had redone by John Lynch (who added a new leadpipe and replated valves. The latter was done at Anderson in Indiana). Plays very well with a sweet, turn of the century tone.

The mouthpiece that works best for me on this horn is one of the Mark Curry VC (vintage cup) pieces. It's a deep V cup that facilitates a mellow tone.

Not sure what the value of the horn is now. John mentioned that, when Anderson shipped it back to him, they insured it for $800.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kesslermusic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it say "New Proportion" on the bell? If so, these really do not bring much. I had one in near mint condition that brought I believe $152.00 on eBay.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

The early Holton cornets have not brought the money, or have the respect on e-bay, of several other brands.

The pre-1918/1919 models, made in Chicago before the factory moved to Elkhorn and used new workers, had a fairly decent reputation.

One of their weaknesses, for some reason, was in the leadpipe-reciever area (where they would develop splits in the metal sometimes).

After H.L. Clarke had hung it up as a soloist he went into collaboration with Frank Holton to come out with the Holton-Clarke cornet. It was mediocre.

Still, as a collectable more than a player, the New Proportion and H/C models deserve a place in the collector's glass case--especially the ones with Chicago stamped on the bell, a decent case and a full set of HP/LP slides!

Tom Turner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: