• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Chicago II Bb trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpwol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Chicago II Bb trumpet Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to have your thoughts on the Yamaha Chicago II Bb trumpet. Indeed I will change my Bb trumpet in some weeks (the time for me to afford it), and even if it's pricey I just love my Chicago II C trumpet. Is the Bb trumpet worth the money?

Thank for your thoughts!

JP
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's worth it if you can afford it! haha It's one of the go-to models for Orchestral/Classical musicians.

If you're playing Lead trumpet or something there may be better trumpets specifically for that job, but those artist model Yamahas are artist models for a reason!
jpwol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks ! I guess it will be a great horn, I was just worried it's too big for what I do. I need something versatile because I am in a wind band so it can be quite tiring (sometimes my 72 Bach feels huge). But I need something open enough for symphonic purpose. I was hesitating with the Xeno but I think I'll stick with the CHS II.. My wallet will hate me!!
gmaxe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jpol,
That is a very expensive trumpet (and a very good one of course). If you like the blow of the Yamaha, maybe try a regular 8335, or even the older 6335H models (they are a little more compact in sound than the 8335)..all good horns that will not cost a fortune. You could also try a plain old bach 37. Sure intonation may not be as good as the yamaha, but the 37 also has a more compact, focussed sound that can really help with endurance in wind ensemble. Many choices to be had! Good luck
AdamsF2
Bach 38 Cornet
Bach 2C
jpwol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know it's expensive, but my CHS II C trumpet has so much more resonance (not sure about the word in English) than a classic Xeno, it's a lot of pleasure in the orchestra.

I think I will try both Xeno and Artist Model before switching. I'm sure to take a Yamaha, all my horns are Yamaha except my old Bach 72, I find the regularity of their products amazing.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Chicago II Bb trumpet Reply with quote

jpwol wrote:
I just love my Chicago II C trumpet. Is the Bb trumpet worth the money?

About to buy a C trumpet....did you play test anything else before buying the Yamaha? How about the NY version or the Bach Chicago?
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha 9335chsII is superb. And works great for all genres. If I was a full time lead player, don’t know if I’d play it. But, it’s as good and versatile a Bb as any out there. Very mouthpiece sensitive. Covers all my needs. And if you play the Chicago C it’s a great match. Better than the Xeno (which is a great horn)
jpwol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Chicago II Bb trumpet Reply with quote

Shark01 wrote:
jpwol wrote:
I just love my Chicago II C trumpet. Is the Bb trumpet worth the money?

About to buy a C trumpet....did you play test anything else before buying the Yamaha? How about the NY version or the Bach Chicago?

No I just tested some Xeno trumpets at the Yamaha store and picked up the CHS II after 10min tests! After it was muuuuuch more difficult to pick the good CHS II between the four they made me try, all of them were perfectly in tune with the same nice sound color...

I didn't try the new NYS it wasn't here when I bought mine almost 3 years ago. Some friend of mine had Gen I but I found it huge at the time. And I didn't try any Bach, just blow the Philadelphy of a friend and found it quite good but less than my Yamaha. Maybe I am not really objective because all my horns are Yamaha except my old Bb!
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The New York Gen II is great. But, if you love the Chicago C, most players would also like the Bb.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpwol wrote:

I think I will try both Xeno and Artist Model before switching.

Hi jpwol

Sounds a good idea. I have the Xeno II. I've never played the Artist models. Considering how good my Xeno II is, especially in orchestral settings, if the Artist models are significantly better, then they must be very good indeed.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the NY, Chicago, and 8335II, and while the artist models are veey good I actually preferred the 8335II. I liked the sound and slot locations better. FWIW...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: