• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Smoke and Horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LPDO1966

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Smoke and Horns Reply with quote

Hello everybody!

This is my first post, I apologize if this threat was discussed before, have no time to read all past threads.

OK.

I'm a Sound Engineer, and a friend of mine (who is a BE too) tolds me that Brass players on his band, complains about the fog created with a smoke machine.

They said that smoke "muffles" sound of trumpets. Said too, that it's no by affecting lungers, but directly instruments.

In fact, my friend tolds me that sound of trumpet (captured by microphones) indeed diminishes on every smoke discharge...

What you can tell me about it?

Thanks!!!
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, considering it's another medium to travel through before reaching someone's ears, it would technically be true that it diminishes sound. Really though, I couldn't believe it would have an absolutely detrimental effect on a sound wave carrying to the mic, which should be less than a foot away. Their perception could be mostly a mental game they're playing with themselves, but then again, there could be some sort of scientific facts I'm unaware of.

I've personally never had much of an issue with fog machines, other than the fact I think the effect has been used in cheesy ways on shows I've played. You might be the first sound guy I've encountered, who actually cares enough about an issue expressed by a horn player, to go and research their claim. Honestly, it's refreshing, in an environment where the horns are usually turned down/off, so people can hear more of a kick drum.

Whatever happens with live sound, though, it's always important horn players hear themselves, otherwise we have no sense of balance, and will always overcompensate. That just leads to a catch-22 of more work at the board, followed by more work for the horns, and so on.

Again, I'm pleasantly surprised at your concern of this. You'll make some poor horn players very happy.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that some fog and smoke systems leave a residue. I have had to clean this stuff out of my horn before. Not pretty.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what fraserhutch said. The fog also changes the humidity, changing the effective pitch (humidity, like temperature, has a first-order impact on pitch). The density change also changes the refractive index, among other things...
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern would be the chemicals used by the special effects technician. The only time I've encountered such was in performance of Brigadoon where dry ice being reduced with water was propelled by fan onto stage to lay the effect of ground hugging fog on a moor and it spilled over into the pit making it very difficult to see the music and chilly. It may have altered tone, but I couldn't tell as we all were wearing headsets to get our cues.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this was all I ever had to worry about... Just basic bad vibes between me and the conductor could eliminate the sound of my trumpet altogether.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
I wish this was all I ever had to worry about... Just basic bad vibes between me and the conductor could eliminate the sound of my trumpet altogether.

That's what happened with me in college with one instructor ( I think he was a post-graduate, not the chair of the department, the latter as I liked)thus music became a Minor instead of a Major. He was a nerd and I had some other thoughts of him that rhymed with nerd.
LPDO1966

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildCat wrote:
Well, considering it's another medium to travel through before reaching someone's ears, it would technically be true that it diminishes sound.

Yeah, that's my first thought....

WildCat wrote:
Their perception could be mostly a mental game they're playing with themselves

Second thought.

WildCat wrote:
You might be the first sound guy...

And that's my job Sir.

WildCat wrote:

Whatever happens with live sound....

Yes Sir, I agree with You.

Thank You very much for your reply, and waiting for more technical info.
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like fog machines for two reasons.

1. The effect is cheesy anymore. Really. Unless you're doing some kind of Sleepy Hollow stageshow, leave the smoke machine at home.

2. Unless you're using a real dry-ice system, the effect is uncontrollable. The chemicals dry-out my mouth, making it very difficult to play. And, the effect is still cheesy.

Do your horn players and vocalists a favor - don't make them have to perform in the fog.

Regards,
NMex
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Lee wrote:
My concern would be the chemicals used by the special effects technician. The only time I've encountered such was in performance of Brigadoon where dry ice being reduced with water was propelled by fan onto stage to lay the effect of ground hugging fog on a moor and it spilled over into the pit making it very difficult to see the music and chilly. It may have altered tone, but I couldn't tell as we all were wearing headsets to get our cues.

Dry ice is frozen CO2, which if breathed in for any length of time will, unfortunately, send you into the afterlife. Plus, it is heavier than air and once it sunk into the pit there it stayed. So, not exactly a good thing to be surrounded by in an orchestra pit.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:
Dry ice is frozen CO2, which if breathed in for any length of time will, unfortunately, send you into the afterlife. Plus, it is heavier than air and once it sunk into the pit there it stayed. So, not exactly a good thing to be surrounded by in an orchestra pit.

While I do know what dry ice is, this performance was open-air summer theater thus it spilled mostly over my feet and dissipated as it spread toward the audience seated on the lawn at the same level. Yep, in a closed environment CO2 displaces air. Yep, even when I've used CO2 fire extinguishers, I wore a Scott pack. Yep, I didn't care for my cadaver to be preserved and become known as "Frosty" ... I'll leave that nom de musique to the Snowman. Too, at the time, the orchestra wore only shorts, T shirts and sandals and it was a hot night. Still, there was some mist and our music stand lights were poor 25 watt picture lights then.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O/P is looking for more technical info, but it's all here:

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Ditto what fraserhutch said. The fog also changes the humidity, changing the effective pitch (humidity, like temperature, has a first-order impact on pitch). The density change also changes the refractive index, among other things...

Not just because he knows a lot and is a respectable poster, but by experience HE'S RIGHT! Change humidity = change eq. Plus most of the stuff these days and I just can't breathe. Anything inside and it's got nowhere to go; the smallest bit for effect if you must, but err on the side of caution.

More props for asking.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I have found that some fog and smoke systems leave a residue. I have had to clean this stuff out of my horn before. Not pretty.

Same here, I've seen the residue on the finish of my horn. I HATE those things!! (Smoke machines, not horns. Usually. ). Plus in spite of what the club owners say (who we all KNOW are very concerned with the health and welfare of the musicians they hire....yeah right....), I'm not at all sure that breathing that stuff is non-toxic either. But then neither is a tobacco smoke-filled club, and unfortunately, here in Houston there are still a lot of clubs located outside the area of the no smoking ordinance.

Brad361
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a fogger and a Hazer at work. We rarely use the fogger. In fact I don't think I've ever plugged it in during my short, 2 yr tenure so far. The LaMaitre Renaissance Hazer uses Neutron haze fluid which is water based. Most fog fluid is oil based which is what is obviously leaving everyone in a sticky/oily situation.

We are using both a hazer and a dry ice fogger for our current running production of Into the Woods. Light Haze from the ceiling and dry ice on command coming out of the set. It actually looks pretty cool and it never gets close enough to the pit to knock off our musicians.

Word of wisdom...both fog and haze do not play well with particle based fire alarms/detectors.

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
gigigal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday I had a bad experience with fog machine in a live performance.
Every smoke discharge my trumpet starts to suffer....no sound out of the bell, just smoke, and the sound was like the sound you have when you play with the water key of the main tuning slide OPEN.

The man of the service told me that it was PROEL oil for that machine, so be carefull with that brand.

For those who like this kind of music, this kind of music they will like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: