• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

GR MS vs GR M cups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbarry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: GR MS vs GR M cups Reply with quote

I play both a GR 3S and a GR 3HC. I'm in need of a 'tweener for playing things like Broadway shows and section trumpet in a horn section or a big band.

I was wondering if any one has experience with a GR MS cup. (And it doesn't necessarily have to be the 3 rim...) I'm interested in hearing opinions on whether the MS cup is more "S" or if it's more "M".

GR's description of the 3M is that it's a good mouthpiece for Bach 3C players. I just don't want to go too deep for this particular use.

Thanks
Mike
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: GR Reply with quote

I think the MS cup would be a good choice. Per his website, Gary Radke actually describes as an "a great all around cup... that works in all situations." I found it very easy to play in all registers, and was in no way thin or brittle sounding.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played GR3 mouthpieces for years (and may again one day, who know?). They are excellent mouthpieces and I have about 8 of them with various cups and backbores.

I found the GR3S to be too shallow for me. I was always bottoming out. I had GR make me a GR3MS with a #1 backbore. That is a great lead mouthpiece. However, toward the end of my GR tenure, I found that I was playing a standard GR3MS mouthpiece for big band stuff most of the time. It was a little less restrictive than the one with the #1 backbore. I just liked that cup and backbore combo a lot. The standard GR3MS is also a very versatile mouthpiece that works pretty well for legit stuff too, although I had others with deeper cups and sometimes bigger backbores for orchestra work and C trumpet.

Kind of off topic, but one thing I loved about the entire GR3 series was that they used the exact same rim and alpha angle. The feeling on the chops was identical on all of them. The differences had to do with ease of blow and sound. Right tool for the right job.

The GR3MS is a great mouthpiece.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
mbarry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. Both of them answered the questions I had.

I had forgotten that the 3MS has a #2 backbore!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: