• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Coppernicus Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
outskiing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Coppernicus Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with the ACB/Adams Coppernicus trumpet? It has a very interesting design and sounds pretty sweet on the ACB website.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta say, this one is unusual! Trent’s an awesome jazzer and I usually recognize his playing now, as I’ve heard a lot of his clips playing trumpets and flugels…but this one is different. Usually these new hybrid instruments that come out are really cool. I can tell they either sound more towards the trumpet sound profile, or more towards the flugel sound profile. This one, to my ear, if I didn’t see it, would be a jazz trumpet sound with a deeper mouthpiece..but there is also something unique to it as I got into listening to the clip. I tried to look at something else when listening to the clip, and, perhaps it’s because I’m a trumpet player, I did hear qualities that were unique. Like, if I just heard it without knowing about the instrument, I would be thinking it might be an unusual type of trumpet..maybe not a standard Bb..

Hopefully Trent will put more clips up!
Www.LexSamu.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Gotta say, this one is unusual! Trent’s an awesome jazzer and I usually recognize his playing now, as I’ve heard a lot of his clips playing trumpets and flugels…but this one is different. Usually these new hybrid instruments that come out are really cool. I can tell they either sound more towards the trumpet sound profile, or more towards the flugel sound profile. This one, to my ear, if I didn’t see it, would be a jazz trumpet sound with a deeper mouthpiece..but there is also something unique to it as I got into listening to the clip. I tried to look at something else when listening to the clip, and, perhaps it’s because I’m a trumpet player, I did hear qualities that were unique. Like, if I just heard it without knowing about the instrument, I would be thinking it might be an unusual type of trumpet..maybe not a standard Bb..

Hopefully Trent will put more clips up!

Running around the new shop trying to set it up here in KC but I will elaborate more on the horn in a bit.

Here are a few clips from a summer tour in Europe... the gig in Montreux was about 100 degrees (super hot). The wine cellar Stardust was about 2 am and a super cool experience:

Link

Link

Link

All of the clips above I'm using my TA1-CS (about a 5/6 C)
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another clip (forgot about this one):

Link

This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great Trent! I can tell you’re having a blast with that new axe. There were certain times there was a hint of ‘Red Rodney on flugel’. Congrats on creating a real cool sounding ‘trumpet-like instrument’ with it’s own ‘signature sound' A lot of versatility in that axe for sure.

NOW for the critique of the MF Round Midnight!

1. TINTED SUNGLASSES! C’mon dude!

2. Jacket off

3. Towel on around neck

4. Grow your hair out…afro style..

5. If your gonna do that much MF quoting, quote his ‘life-force energy’ too! You know how The Boss used to take the horn off his face when he hit one of the high ones!

Hey, you’re the one saying how light the Coppernicus is in your description Trent

p.s. - You call it the Coppernicus, is there some nickel in there as well? Awhile back I found that nickel plating on a horn usually gives a certain quality to the sound that I really dig for jazz playing. If I had my choice for a horn plating, I think it would be a ‘toss-up’ between copper, nickel, or just raw brass.
Www.LexSamu.com

Last edited by ljazztrm on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Coppernicus. In my opinion, it is one of a very few "new" designs in the trumpet world. In can sound like whatever you want it to sound like. The upper register is amazingly easy. And it is a beautiful horn. If you get a chance, play one and see for yourself.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation Pat. It's hard to tell 100% without hearing/trying it in person, but, just from hearing that first clip I heard it sounded like this axe had it's own 'uniqueness' to it. Listening to that Round Midnight clip..he goes from like a bright 'Red Rodney' flugel sound to Maynard all on the same axe..way cool!
Www.LexSamu.com
bbodine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Coppernicus for about a month and as witj all new horns, it takes a while to "find" it. Today it felt really good. Because of Covid, I've only been doing quintet, septet stuff so I can't tell how it behaves in a section. But I can tell you it is a big sounding horn that you can mouthpiece(verb) bright to dark. It is amazingly flexible from a sound perspective. Intonation seems pretty good, but again, once I'm back in a section, I can be more specific about that. Plus, its a really pretty horn..so there's that!
bbodine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still digging on the Coppernicus. Did some recording this week. Intonation was good. On par with most horns. It makes a really nice sound that records well. Again, you can mp it into many different colors. Has become my 1st choice for small group jazz. Bb
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly a very interesting horn. Combined with mr. Austin's amazing playing skills, it's certainly nice to listen to. It's on my 'horns to try when you have the budget' list at any rate. But then again, so are a few others.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've only ever heard it played by Trent, and with different mouthpieces he has made it sound like whatever he wanted to say at the moment.

With his standard mouthpiece, always sounded like a French Besson/Martin Committee hybrid.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bell gold brass?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: