• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Greg Black mouthpieces

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smithwatkinsguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody had an experience with these? I've tried to get in touch with them through their website but it looks like it hasn't been updated in about 2 1/2 years and they haven't replied to my emails. I want to order a mouthpiece from them, but where should I get it?...Any suggestions?
Rhode Island All-State Orchestra
The Hartt School of Music
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ralph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1 1/2 M about 9 months ago. I bought it through Dillon's. It took about 3-4 weeks to have it made. Nice mpc. It plays a little on the bright side as compared to a Bach 1 1/2 C. To be honest, I don't see the advantage of a high end (expensive) mouthpiece. My wife bought it for me as a birthday present. I use my Stork for everyday playing and practicing. If I made my living playing trumpet, it may make sense to have a custom piece made, but for a hack like me, I've found that just about anything will do. Anyway, it is a nice piece and feels good. The rim I think is middle of the road in terms of flat VS round. The sound does have an edge to it, at least the M cup does. The piece I have has a little more of a commercial sound than orchestral, but not by much. Hope it helps.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately I've been using a Greg Black "Custom Series" NY#3 and I'm VERY happy with it. It is a very unique piece-- based off the older Callet Bukur Varricups (similar to a G.Black mouthpiece Alan Chez uses on Dave Letterman). I talked to Greg on the phone (listed on his web site) but ended up ordering the mouthpiece through Dillons (with the one week return policy). ... I kept it.

His mouthpieces aren't cheap but they seem to be the real deal in my limited experience.
JohnL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg is a real gentleman and a marvelous technician. If you know what you in a mouthpiece, he can do it for you.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also ordered a 1-1/4M from Dillon a while back. It took about 3-4 weeks to get mine also. Very nice craftmanship. Chris Sanchez at Dillon can work with you if the mouthpiece doesn't work out for you. You can send it back and get another size if needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: