• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 80A Victor cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been away from the Herald for nigh a year (I doubt if anyone really remembers me, which makes me seem like an attention-crazed fool. This is not the case) but now I need some good advice.

My beloved V~Raptor has been stolen and I now need a new horn. I can't scrape up enough money for another VR at the moment so I need to buy something used, probably from eBay. I've been looking at the old Conn 80A Victor cornets (aka New Wonder) for awhile and have even posted a few questions about it here before.

The Point:

I would like to hear from anyone who has played one and could tell me about it's playing characteristics. I know it's a circus bore, how does that feel? Any info is appreciated.

University of Rochester, Class of 2010
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what kind of playing you do, bu if I had a low budget and wanted to get a backup horn (and maybe your only horn for a while), it would be something more along the lines of an Olds Ambassador. You could be in and out of it for 150 or so. With a little more money, you could get the more expensive models. It's not a V/R, but is a respectable horn that feels like a contemporary trumpet. Just offering this as another alternative to the 80A idea.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a different budget level, say $700 or so, you can pick up a nice used Yamaha Z. Their prices are depressed somewhat with the new 8310Z coming out in April. The VR is superior, I really like the light weight gold plate, BUT while you're rebuilding your financial reserves, the Z is a great alternative.

I owned a wonderful New Wonder. They're not that great in the high register. Listen to Jim Cullem and you'll hear a good bit of nasal cornet-ish (duh) tone. They're good horns, but in a different realm than the VR.

Dave
Johann24

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks for the advice so far. So continuing along this topic, what would you guys recommend as a good horn that can be picked up for under $800? I do indeed need versatility (low to high range). I'm looking along the lines of a cornet, but a trumpet will do as well.

PS - If it's something very respectablereliable, I'm willing to scrape up some more money.

PS2 - Now that my curiousity is peaked, I still would like to hear from people that have played the Conn.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they ticked me off.

[ This Message was edited by: Johann24 on 2004-02-16 19:11 ]
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was lucky with my '51 Conn Vic 80A - it had never been played - the valves were so tight I had to relap them. Most of them will require having the valves replated and then a good alignment. So you are talking $250 - to $300 extra. When that is done you will have an extremely open blowing instrument that sounds darker than most trumpets but not as dark as a cornet. It will handle Bach A,B,C, and D cup cornet mouthpieces well with a fine sound and for me a better high register than most trumpets.Having said that - the 80A models do have a bore of .485! Some of the earlier similar looking Conns of the early teens had smaller bores. After all of this - unless you like an extremely open horn, and are willing to spend 200 to 300 to fix it up, just follow the above advice, get a decent Olds Ambassador or a Reynolds Medalist trumpet from the 60's or so.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was speaking from limited experience on the Conn, having owned one for a while. It was too large a bore for me at the time. I would not consider it to be the equivalent of a trumpet, personally, in any way. Again, I don't know what kind of playing you would be doing. It was pretty tiring for me, pretty uncomfortable to hold over long periods during many outdoor gigs. Some people I know just love them, but it wasn't a good match for me.

Dave suggested a used Yamaha Z. I would agree with that or something similar that you could use as a backup horn someday when you are able to replace your other horn. Never hurts to have a good backup.

Mike
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann24, if you are sort of cash I'd suggest you try out a stomvi forte as well as the others mentioned here, I don't know what the going rate is in the US but they are very good trumpets and some pro's rate them better than the more expensive stomvis,

There is one going on ebay at the moment (i'm not the seller)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3704645380&category=16214

I'd say they are more like a schilke than the elite or USA models which are more like the Bach Strad, so if my reading of the V1 web site is correct you might prefer the forte to those anyway. My teacher uses one for Legit and Lead/Shows so it's a versitile horn as well.

Hope that helps
Mark
Billy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several of the 80-A's and I currently use for Dixieland a 1927 New Wonder with a #2 bore. It blows in tune, with just enough resistance for an easier upper register. I have tried the vintage Curry mouthpiece and will probably look at the GR's, but continue to use a Schilke 14. I like using a "period" horn when play the old stuff.
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love my 1946 Victor 80 A. The bore is not too large, and it is very mouthpiece sensitive. Can sound like a trumpet with a trumpet style mouthpiece, and very mellow and un-trumpet like with a deep v-cup mouthpiece.

My biggest adjustment was that there is no 3rd valve slide ring to tune low d or c#. In those days, the 3rd valve slide was a little longer than now. Its a comprise, Eb is a little flat and D and C# are a little sharp but not like on a modern trumpet. It was expected that a player would be able to lip up or down on these notes to correct intonation.

I have only played a V-Raptor for a few minutes. I thought it was a great trumpet, but I think my Victor 80A is a very different animal. Good luck in your search.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, a Conn 80A wouldn't be very well suited for playing the lead book in a big band. I could use my '23 80A in just about every other situation where I currently use my Schilke though. I'm not saying it would be as easy to play, but I could make do.

I don't think the 80A plays as open as the .485 bore would suggest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: