• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Committee is back in session?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I can see in the pictures of the logo, it appears that the current Mr. Martin chose a new style of "Martin" rather than the traditional script. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I always liked the traditional "Martin" script. If I were going to try to capitalize on the history of the Committee, I think I would have used the traditional script so the new instrument would look as much like its ancestor as possible.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Maybe I'm being pedantic, but the following sentence from the Martin Committee Model Trumpet section of the quoted link, stands out to me:

The legendary dark warm tone of the Martin Committee Model Trumpet has been revived by the family that started The Martin Band Instrument Company

I'm presuming maybe wrongly that the Kanstul 1603 came first, and Richard Martin has recently established the Martin Brasswind Co. (I can't see a date at the bottom of his website, but presume that this has happened fairly recently, as I would have imagined if not, that it would have been posted on here before).

Again maybe I am being pedantic, but saying that the trumpet has been revived by the family that started the Martin Band Instrument Company, although not specifically stated, kind of suggests that Richard Martin has played some part in Kanstul creating the 1603, when in reality, I think that Kanstul created the 1603 some time back, and Richard Martin has subsequently decided to put the Martin name to it.

When he says that he has selected Kanstul Musical Instruments to be the manufacturer for the Martin Brasswind Co., although again not specifically stated, it suggests that Kanstul are making this trumpet especially for Richard Martin rather than re-badging their own 1603.

Maybe I am wrong, and this is not simply a re-badged 1603, but has some differences.

Probably I'm taking the website too literally anyway, and I honestly don't think that Richard Martin is doing anything wrong if this is a re-badged 1603. I suppose I just feel that the website may be giving a version of the truth.

It doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Wallace Roney at The Jazz Showcase in Chicago last night. Got a chance to briefly talk with him and asked him how the Kanstul was treating him. He said the horn was a Martin. I said "You brought the Martin out?" meaning like one of the ones he got from Miles (I was surprised because it definitely looked like the Kanstul) He said no. So I asked "Is Kanstul making the new Martins?" and he nodded in the affirmative.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grits Burgh wrote:
I'd pay that much for the horn in a heart beat...if I weren't married.

Warm regards,
Grits

I'd pay that much ... if I had that much. :/
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the 1603 identical in its basic construction to the martin?
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: 1603 Reply with quote

Here's Wallace Roney with the Kanstul Committee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXuuPKOZIA
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

It's a good question. I don't think the answer is widely known yet.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

I vaguely remember a while back reading when shofarguy was reviewing the Kanstul 1603 and the 1603+ something about the tapered tuning slide not being on the current 1603... purely conjecture, but perhaps this is present on the new Martin?

Looking forward to hearing more about these horns!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hnelldor wrote:
jetjaguar wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

I vaguely remember a while back reading when shofarguy was reviewing the Kanstul 1603 and the 1603+ something about the tapered tuning slide not being on the current 1603... purely conjecture, but perhaps this is present on the new Martin?

Looking forward to hearing more about these horns!

I might be wrong, but I believe the tapered slide is a part of the contract with Wallace Roney. It is the one non-negotiable when you specify a 1603 rather than a 1603+. The Plus model gets the tapered slide and a portion of the purchase price goes to Wallace.

I briefly spoke to Jack Kanstul about this project. The man with the rights to the Martin brand name was very loosely involved in the project for some time, but not really influential. Kanstul agreed to build horns that he could sell under the Martin name. Jack didn't divulge any differences in specification compared to the 1603.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the problem with this – nothing adds up.

First, the 1603 is a close copy of the second generation Committee released after World War 2. The valve ports appear to be slightly different in alignment, the rear bell brace is offset a smidge, and one would have to take a lot of measurements to know about the bore for sure, but its basically a decent clone. Question is, is the Martin a good close of the real Martin?

Then there is the history: The Martin businesses were started by GR Martin in 1851 in New York, his brother JH did not join him until he finished his apprenticeship in Dresden in 1854. The present Mr. Martin seems to think JH Martin started the company in Chicago . . . . He also repeats the myth about the family walking to Elkhart (problem being that the oldest child Henry Martin was still too young to make such a walk) – maybe that’s why they didn’t get there till Conn was in business in 1876 (the fire was 1871)? – The family actually returned to New York and the Martin manufacturing facility at 31 Courtlandt (Chicago was likely a distribution operation, not manufacturing) where JH superintended until replaced by Henry Distin for 2 years in 1876, which allowed him to spend those 2 years with Conn in Elkhart. That false story on the new Martin history page was created by the Martin company advertising machine around 1940 – after there were no Martins in the business. How is it that a Martin doesn’t know his own family history?

As noted, there were no Martins in the company in 1940, and in fact, the last, his great grandfather, left the company in 1922. So what relationship is there between the family and a horn designed, probably by Schilke alone, in the 1930s? Or, given that we are talking about the second generation, 1945?

The Martin family was originally known for building rather flimsy Saxon rotaries from 1851-1885 when they went under and the original brothers both went to work in Detroit for a year as assemblers before JH was welcomed back to Conn, ultimately bringing his kids with him. One may presume that, after JH learned about piston valve design from Conn, and the partner they brought in to offset the financial disaster of Chicago, August Pollman, left to sell piston valve horns under his own name in 1878, that it was pure stubbornness on the part of GR Martin that kept them building obsolete and undesirable horns until they failed. JH’s kids were not any better, with operations so dysfunctional that by 1912, they had to sell their 8 year old company to their 27 year old bookkeeper, who brought in William Gronert to run it and kicked out the Martins – except for Henry as a figurehead President. When Bassett bought the company in 1920, he soon tired of Henry Martin and removed him in 1922. The great Martin Band Instrument Company products had nothing to do with any Martins - not the best actual history to promote a $4K horn with.

As for using the company name, the new Martin does not. Martin Brasswind Company is a unique business name, so he should have no trouble from Conn-Selmer. (Add that to GR Martin, Martin and Slater, Slater and Martin, Martin & Co., Martin Pollman & Co., Martin Brothers, JH Martin Band Instrument Co., and Martin Band Instrument Co. - wow, they go out of business a lot!) As for the Martin Committee, as noted that trademark has lapsed. Anyone can use it now.

So now, here is this new horn, built by Kanstul, and with the forward bell brace now shifted among the minor cosmetic differences noticeable, selling in competition with the Kanstul. Is Kanstul going to undercut their own product by selling these to Martin at a price he can make a profit on unless the horn is cheapened in some way? Seems unlikely.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than one having "Kanstul" engraved on it and the other one having "Martin" engraved on it, there are no obvious differences between the two instruments. Perhaps there are some players who will opt for the "Martin" simply because it says "Martin" on it. That's got to be what Richard Martin is banking on.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph,

It's not really hard to understand. In my family (the one I grew up with, not my descendants), there is only one person who goes to the kind of detail you're talking about here when it comes to our family history. Then, there is my brother who has been around longest and remembers the most. At least for now. As he gets older, there is always the chance he won't remember as much, or that his memories will begin to get jumbled up, as was the case with my mother, who suffered from Alzheimers disease. This person obviously isn't either of these types in his family.

I imagine that he captured some of the romance of the Martin Committee and some of the mystique of his family name and got the idea to "someday reintroduce the Martin brand." That doesn't make him a scholar. It means he's a romantic, of sorts.

I read through his website and to me it's obvious that this isn't a well funded or thought out venture. The text is full of misspellings and poor sentence structure, etc. Does that make him a shyster? Not in this day and age. It means he's probably used to life with Auto Correct and he, like many of his peers, just doesn't care that much about grammatical or factual accuracy. My guess is he used a pre-fab template design offered by some software company at an affordable price.

What I do know is that everyone in this industry is trying to find a way to sell trumpets. It's tough. So, Kanstul is doing him a favor. He's taking a bit of a risk and making an effort. I think that's good.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
OldSchoolEuph,

It's not really hard to understand. In my family (the one I grew up with, not my descendants), there is only one person who goes to the kind of detail you're talking about here when it comes to our family history. Then, there is my brother who has been around longest and remembers the most. At least for now. As he gets older, there is always the chance he won't remember as much, or that his memories will begin to get jumbled up, as was the case with my mother, who suffered from Alzheimers disease. This person obviously isn't either of these types in his family.

I imagine that he captured some of the romance of the Martin Committee and some of the mystique of his family name and got the idea to "someday reintroduce the Martin brand." That doesn't make him a scholar. It means he's a romantic, of sorts.

I read through his website and to me it's obvious that this isn't a well funded or thought out venture. The text is full of misspellings and poor sentence structure, etc. Does that make him a shyster? Not in this day and age. It means he's probably used to life with Auto Correct and he, like many of his peers, just doesn't care that much about grammatical or factual accuracy. My guess is he used a pre-fab template design offered by some software company at an affordable price.

What I do know is that everyone in this industry is trying to find a way to sell trumpets. It's tough. So, Kanstul is doing him a favor. He's taking a bit of a risk and making an effort. I think that's good.

So, has anyone tried one? I sent Mr. Martin a message about reviews of the horn or any videos and he sent me to this and this has zero reviews and if anything makes me lean away from even trying one. I'm fulltime will Schilke and have no plans of leaving their horns, but it doesn't mean I don't like to collect other horns but it seems like just reading this short thread, the best deal is going to be to get an original committee.
1040-FL Flugelhorn
XA1 Cornet
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
jadickson wrote:
$4200-4400 for the new Committee. I just.... no.

Is that a lot for a trumpet? Yes it is. Is that a lot compared to the cost of other musical instruments? No it isn't. As musical instruments go trumpets are one of the least expensive instruments out there and, with good care, they last almost forever. Plus, if you qualify, you can claim depreciation and transfer some of the cost to your fellow taxpayers by reducing your own tax liability.

In terms of enjoyment vs. cost even the most expensive trumpet is the bargain of a lifetime.

More power to the new Committee. The horn looks beautiful and, no doubt, plays as great as the greatness of the player allows.

This... especially the last sentence.

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdMann wrote:
... Maybe they did their homework, but this is such a specialty item with a narrow market. Good luck!

ed

Agreed! For all the praise and holy grail-ness heaped on the Committee, how many players can use something with that “dark, smokey (one of the more overused term’s around here) sound” ? And I KNOW it has much to do with the player and mouthpiece, etc.etc. But IMO, for many of us, a trumpet needs to sound like (gasp!) a trumpet. Hey, if someone needs or simply just prefers the sound most of us associate with the Committee, cool. I could not use one for what I generally do, but I realize some people can. I just wonder how many.

Brad
CurtisCalderon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
EdMann wrote:
... Maybe they did their homework, but this is such a specialty item with a narrow market. Good luck!

ed

...Hey, if someone needs or simply just prefers the sound most of us associate with the Committee, cool. I could not use one for what I generally do, but I realize some people can. I just wonder how many.

Brad

6? Nationwide maybe 7? Haha, I really love dark sounding horns and could use them on about 90% of my gigs, BUT, I totally hear you. In the end, most people want a trumpet to sound like one and that means getting a little brassy at times. My current horn plays really dark at low volumes and then lights up with some more focused air. If you ever get a chance to play one, would be good to read a review!
1040-FL Flugelhorn
XA1 Cornet
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
EdMann wrote:

ed

Agreed! For all the praise and holy grail-ness heaped on the Committee, how many players can use something with that “dark, smokey (one of the more overused term’s around here) sound” ? And I KNOW it has much to do with the player and mouthpiece, etc.etc. But IMO, for many of us, a trumpet needs to sound like (gasp!) a trumpet. Hey, if someone needs or simply just prefers the sound most of us associate with the Committee, cool. I could not use one for what I generally do, but I realize some people can. I just wonder how many.

Brad

There isn't a lot of difference between this Martin and the Kanstul 1603. Details, likely. I've gotten to live with three 1603s, including the 1603+, for several weeks each. The sound isn't dark in the same way we think a flugelhorn is dark, unless you happen to be able to play a trumpet like that, like Chris Botti or Arturo. It's a uniquely contoured sound, from an EQ standpoint, but it is a trumpet. I would not hesitate to bring it to any sort of venue to play any sort of music with any mix of trumpet brands.

kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This "dark and smoky" thing . . to the best of my knowledge, Dizzy, Chet, Lee Morgan, Maynard, one of Woody Herman's Bebop Herd's entire trumpet sections et al , don't exactly sound dark to me.

Maybe it has more darkish potential than some other trumpets . . I certainly wouldn't use mine in a semi to pro orchestra section . . but naturally "dark and smoky"? I don't think so.

FWIW, my repair tech loved mine and said "it's not only a fine combo horn but a great lead one, too".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Existentialist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just really glad to see these horns on the market, whether it's the Schilke HC, Adams A9, Kanstul 1603 1603+, or the "new" Martin. I'm hoping to buy one of these brands some day, and I enjoy reading all the related posts.
Inderbinen Wood Flugelhorn
https://crciorba.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
This "dark and smoky" thing . . to the best of my knowledge, Dizzy, Chet, Lee Morgan, Maynard, one of Woody Herman's Bebop Herd's entire trumpet sections et al , don't exactly sound dark to me.

Maybe it has more darkish potential than some other trumpets . . I certainly wouldn't use mine in a semi to pro orchestra section . . but naturally "dark and smoky"? I don't think so.

FWIW, my repair tech loved mine and said "it's not only a fine combo horn but a great lead one, too".

Good points, and I admit that my impressions of the Committee are based upon what I have heard, I’ve never actually played one. Big mea culpa!

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: