• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Range

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you expected to see this in the Super Chops section but alas...

I have been playing the trumpet for about 9 months now (33 years old) and I love it. I have a private teacher and she was a student of the great Bill Adams.

My definition of range is the ability to play a note without cramming the horn into my face and changing my embrouchure. That being said the highest note I can play is first space E. I can nail every time. I can definitely hit notes above that but they don't sound as pure.

Should I be concerned with that at 9 months of playing? My endurance is also pretty bad too but I'm hoping this is to be expected. I practice everyday at LEAST an hour. My goal is to play jazz trumpet (big band and small group improv).

Thanks for your replys.

[ This Message was edited by: Xenoman on 2001-12-15 12:12 ]
Yoinks
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after only 9 months, I wouldn't worry about it. The harder you try to "fix" this fast, the more you will probably end up fighting with the horn. Just keep on playing and focusing on that sound, range will come. I wish I could go back and follow the Adam methodology from the beginning of my playing, before I developed so many bad habits. You have a chance many people can only wish for. Good luck!
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-20 16:37 ]
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xeno, I'm 2 years into my comeback after an 11 sabbatical. Keep practicing daily, focus on your sound and don't entertain unrealistic expectations that you will be a master in a short time. With committment and proper tutoring, you will achieve your goal. Good luck, Jim
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that 9 months is no time at all in terms of learning to play the trumpet. Patience is your best virtue here.

Keep your mind on the sound. Keep the air energy flowing through the sound (but don't push the air). Get a beautiful full tone at a rich volume in a comfortable (probably middle of the staff) register and then gradually expand that into the higher register, lower register, louder volumes, softer volumes, all the articulations. Rest as much as you play and be consistent.

It will come and when it does you will own what you have acquired.
Xenoman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna stick to it, follow the advice of my teacher and players on this site that I trust. We'll see what happens. I'm a work and progess but I sure do love the work (trumpet)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: