• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Never thought I'd hafta ask this but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On roll out #4- For about 2 months now I've been able to pretty much get all the notes up to high g... now, Jeff says to always get at least a hiss on the next note, so after I hit the high G should I try for the next note? (Double C) Or, should I just work on volume and getting a good snap on the high G, and stop there?
TXBD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetjunkie,

I think Jeff means that, as you ascend to your target note, if that note does not hit solidly, at least get a hiss. My interpretation of the book is to gain confidence on a particular target note, then move higher. I don't believe it is necessary (or advantagious) to always try for the next higher note. Hopefully, others will weigh in with their thoughts.

Billy Marquis
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few weeks I have also found myself topping out on the high E or G for Roll-out #4. It will take a little while for me to get the snaps and power like the CD though.

I suggest that you re-read the instructions for roll-out #4, and go back to listening to the CD, and work towards reproducing the sound. On the CD the high G has real punch! Once you match the sound, and are following the directions precisely, you are done.

Personally, I think there are more productive BE exercises to work on after you master Roll-out #4, such as the rips and lip trills. After these are mastered, try tonguing on lips and double tonguing in the high register (high C to G). That will really stretch you...
trumpetjunkie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be logical to keep goin higher though? Then, hopefully, "The notes will eventually emerge" as Jeff says. I've been working on power and the snap, but if I could eventually get a third above g wouldn't the power and snap on that note be much easier?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of thoughtful comments on this thread!

Kaleb,

How high can you currently play with power and snap? When you started to get G, did it make the high E easier to hit more powerfully?

You are the best judge here. For example, if all of your higher notes are thin, then reaching for a double C right now might not add much except ego satisfaction, as you are probably better off working on volume. But if your experience is that shooting for higher notes also helps solidify the notes slightly lower (a common experience) then go for it.

BTW - congratulations on your progress!

Jeff Smiley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: