• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wild Thing blending?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing my distant-future next-trumpet options, my teacher remarked that large-bore trumpets (like the WT) can make it difficult to blend well with groups because they stand out so much.

My instinct is that blending would have more to do with the player than the horn; i.e., if the WT blows loud more easily, then rein yourself in a bit so that you don't pummel the rest of the section.

Who's right?
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

My limited experience (with my Benge) is that I just hold back a little. I'm of the opinion it has more to do with the player at that point. Timbre and volume are controllable.

Tim
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if your ears are good and you're willing to experiment with mpcs a little that it's very doable. OTOH, if you don't listen and play wind ensemble with your screetch mpc, then it's pure hell for the others in the section (played with a guy like that once, his Severenson was bright as a cracked mirror).

Dave
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess...

Blending has more to do with the bell flare and overall timbre of the horn and mpc than the bore size...

And, MUCH more to do with the player!

Haven't been told of any specific blending problems with my set in the community orchestra I sub with now and then, but maybe they're just being nice. The group usually has Yamaha and Bach, with me on my WT and NTC.

FWIWFM, YMMV - Don
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-02-17 10:45, dcstep wrote:
I think if your ears are good and you're willing to experiment with mpcs a little that it's very doable. OTOH, if you don't listen and play wind ensemble with your screetch mpc, then it's pure hell for the others in the section (played with a guy like that once, his Severenson was bright as a cracked mirror).

I personally think this is the key. Big bore horns can blend very well -- but not with a tiny mouthpiece and blowing your brains out. I saw not to long ago one of those small, uncontrolled studies (hard to do controlled studies in the arts) that suggested after studying a couple dozen players that played big bore horns, that big bore horns tend to be a bit more forgiving and less harsh. If that is true, they would blend better if played with an appropriate mouthpiece and by a musician.

In our symphonic band, we have about 7 trumpets. The director is always saying they are too loud (and he is a trumpet player) and they are a lot of the time (I don't play trumpet with this group, they have plenty -- I can play trombone and euphonium too). One guy is playing a small Strad (I haven't looked closely) and an asymmetric mouthpiece. He rips right through the band with his hard projecting, bright sound. Some day on break I am going to take out his Asymmetric piece and but a Bach 3C in there just to see what happens.

M&C
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&C, is he using the lead model? I own one that occasionally finds use, but I would never use it in a wind ensemble playing. It must be a product of that backbore, but the sound is brittle as hell. However, that isn't the smallest cup volume in the world either, so I've always wondered what one would play like with a much larger backbore.
MUSICandCHARACTER
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know. I haven't gotten close enough to his horn to ascertain even what Bach he is playing. The Asymmetric mouthpiece is easy to detect from a distance. All I can say is, the sound is very bright (and that is as polite as I can get about it).

Still, blending is more about musicianship than anything, but some equipment is just designed to "cut through." Bore may actually be the least of the factors.

M&C
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember having any problems with blending when I was playing my WT. My teacher used to remark on the subject that the WT had a great ability to fit in any section.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but Andrew, you've got taste.

Dave
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&C, can't deny anything you said. Look at Dan Hallock with Menlo Brass, he uses a Jet-Tone Stahl Custom model as his main mouthpiece and does an excellent job blending with everyone else. Then he plays with Full Spectrum Jazz and burns up any chart he plays lead on, now that's musicianship! As far as the Lead 342 is concerned, I've found the sound to be uncontrollably bright at times, and I thought I could make any mouthpiece blend. I've briefly tried the 3C+ and Opera models and didn't find them the least bit overbearing. However, you still shouldn't use that mouthpiece in a symphonic setting, that's what prompted me to ask you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: