• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Things to focus on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohnecael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Things to focus on Reply with quote

Right now im between my sessions of having a private teacher and right now while im in my limbo period of a few months, anything that i can still focus on while im not reciving professional instruction? Any common patterns you see in your students (that are HS age) that are a reoccuring problem that i can use to put inside my own playing?
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: WindWorks, Mystery to Mastery Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
Right now im between my sessions of having a private teacher and right now while im in my limbo period of a few months, anything that i can still focus on while im not reciving professional instruction? Any common patterns you see in your students (that are HS age) that are a reoccuring problem that i can use to put inside my own playing?

Check out the free section of Mystery to Mastery (WindWorks) with Greg Spence.

It will give you a lot of good, basic direction, and lots to work with. Nothing that should conflict with the approach/philosophy of most teachers.

-Denny
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Things to focus on Reply with quote

ohnecael wrote:
Any common patterns you see in your students (that are HS age) that are a reoccuring problem that i can use to put inside my own playing?

Yes.

There is the lack of patience. Practice takes time and many teens simply don't put enough time in. you can 't improve something if it is played once, incorrectly, every few days.

There is a lack of thought when practicing towards long term goals. Specific focus on short term goals which can be achieved in a single or few sessions. By just filling in time, most make little to no progress.

Listening. Most teens need to learn to listen to themselves, their teachers etc. If they don't or cant hear what they sound like, and if the notes and rhythms are even correct, progress is not going to occur.

Repetition. Many will simply not work enough on a given challenge. Stick at it, and keep trying, with all of the above, seems to be getting rarer and rarer.

cheers

Andy
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things to focus on Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
ohnecael wrote:
Any common patterns you see in your students (that are HS age) that are a reoccuring problem that i can use to put inside my own playing?

Yes.

There is the lack of patience. Practice takes time and many teens simply don't put enough time in. you can 't improve something if it is played once, incorrectly, every few days.

There is a lack of thought when practicing towards long term goals. Specific focus on short term goals which can be achieved in a single or few sessions. By just filling in time, most make little to no progress.

Listening. Most teens need to learn to listen to themselves, their teachers etc. If they don't or cant hear what they sound like, and if the notes and rhythms are even correct, progress is not going to occur.

Repetition. Many will simply not work enough on a given challenge. Stick at it, and keep trying, with all of the above, seems to be getting rarer and rarer.

cheers

Andy

100%

If students -- young and old -- would grasp what you've written, their progress would be marked.

-Denny
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Things to focus on Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
ohnecael wrote:

Yes.

cheers

Andy

Nailed it!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things to focus on Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
ohnecael wrote:

Yes.

cheers

Andy

This, and multiply it by 2-3 for middle school kids.
I think it’s even more pronounced today than it was years (30 or more) ago; kids today are used to instant (and sometimes unearned) gratification.

The above being said, it IS the teacher’s job to motivate students to correct the above problems, but when the parents at home don’t reinforce what’s needed (some do, but many don’t), it’s a difficult situation.

Brad
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things to focus on Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

The above being said, it IS the teacher’s job to motivate students to correct the above problems, but when the parents at home don’t reinforce what’s needed (some do, but many don’t), it’s a difficult situation.

Brad

OT add onto Brad's comments, it is also the job of the teacher to encourage the parents to get involved. Even simple phone calls to let them know the good (we hope) and the need for some behaviour modification (usually) does wonders.

In our school system, private instrumental lessons, during school time is the norm. (it's a large part of my gig) We recently abolished formal reports for instrumental lessons. It wasn't my decision, and like most I was of a mind third was a negative move.

But, our HOD suggested we use this as the opportunity to talk to parents: face to face, on the phone, or my email. Amazingly, this is working for quite a few of my less than totally enthusiastic students! I have seen the light!

But in all seriousness, when kids have no direction, and are going to spend a period of time without any instruction, it is the teacher's responsibility to provide some, even just a list of things to work on...

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: